GTX 1080 Fan curve. Default or Custom?

Giga Bus Driver

I'm trying to fiddle around a bit with my graphics card settings. I'm a bit mental about component temperatures. So I limited my 2700X to 1.35V max and now I'm trying to get a nice fan curve for my GPU. I noticed that my GPU gets high temps really easily. 1 game of League = 50C peak, 47C average. 1 hunt in Monster Hunter World = 82C peak, 77C average etc. Despite MHW being a CPU intensive game I'm quite surprised at how easily I hit 82C when 83C is my card limit. I know Nvidia cards can run at high temps like this and the card will throttle itself to not pass the 83C limit but I still wanted to try lower my temps a bit because why not?. I went onto MSI Afterburner and found the default fan curve which seemed to run at 40% until 30% and would increase to 50% at 50C then increase 1:1 (1% every 1C), and so the fan would be running at 80% at 80C then would only increase to 100% at 90C. Should I be using a custom fan curve and increase fan speed% to reduce my temps or lower my max temperature limit to 80C? I was thinking 90% or 100% fan speed at 80C. Also if I do increase fan speed would it burden my fans quicker which ultimately reduces my card lifespan?

21 minutes ago, Giga Bus Driver said:

Also if I do increase fan speed would it burden my fans quicker which ultimately reduces my card lifespan

no

they are electric fans , they are designed to run at 100% speed much like a lightbulb can run at 100% brightness. it's not a gasoline engine. if you ran them past 100% like 120 , yeah that would kill the fan.

the fan only slows down to save on noise , not lifespan or power.