Mac OS High Sierra VM help!

CharminUltraStrong
Go to solution Solved by lieder1987,

Try using this article which is tricking the smc version which might help.

https://techsviewer.com/how-to-install-mac-os-x-el-capitan-on-vmware-on-pc/

Alright so here's the break down. I've tried everything within my mental grasp and expertise as far as trying to get a Mac OS High Sierra Virtual Machine. I have Windows 10 pro and, originally, wanted to run my VM via Hyper-V. I found that while I could install an iso in a Hyper-V VM, my virtual HDD would have to be in a "vhd/vhdx" format which is PROPRIETARY to Hyper-V. Microsoft recognizes so they offer a tool that can only be used by a consumer via damn powershell commands to turn VMDK's and other open source virtual Hard disk formats into their VHD/VHDX format instead of OUTRIGHT SUPPORTING IT. So I jump over to virtual box and the setup process was a bit more straight forward. I gave 8 gigs of dedicated RAM(this was only to remove the variable of a hardware error), 2 CPU's cores out of the 6 on my chip, 128mb of VRAM(that's the max in virtual box) and 100 Gb of dynamic virtual harddrive space. I plopped MULTIPLE Macos High Sierra iso's into the virtual disk drive and it hit the fan every time trying to boot loop. Also, note, I removed the floppy drive from my boot order, put hard disk at the front and then the virtual disk drive then networking. I'm sure many of you understand VM's WAY better than I do, thus I am seeking assistance. I didn't like ubuntu and I'm tired of Linux Elementary and Linux in general(I'm sorry but the community really drove me away+lack of app support). I want to do Ableton Live on a hobbyist level and anyone who uses it on PC can tell you how glitchy it is. My launchpad pisses itself in Windows but that's a story for another day, I'm rambling. Thank you in advance.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

I would go over and look at tonymac86x's page. The process for a virtual MacOS High Sierra machine is going to be damn similar to a full hackintosh. You will not be able to just boot an OSX iso and expect it to work. You will need to modify the install package to work on non signed apple hardware, find appropriate custom kernels / drivers / etc.

6 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

I would go over and look at tonymac86x's page. The process for a virtual MacOS High Sierra machine is going to be damn similar to a full hackintosh. You will not be able to just boot an OSX iso and expect it to work. You will need to modify the install package to work on non signed apple hardware, find appropriate custom kernels / drivers / etc.

That I understand but I watched a million YT tutorials and the process looked about as simple as any other VM iso install. That's why I'm so confused.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

On 1/18/2019 at 11:54 PM, lieder1987 said:

Try using this article which is tricking the smc version which might help.

https://techsviewer.com/how-to-install-mac-os-x-el-capitan-on-vmware-on-pc/

Yep thank you. Got this running, successfully, after jumping through some hoops with the VMX file and I downloaded an update for Mac OS Mojave successfully last night :). One more question, do you know how to increase performance? I've tried tinkering with adding cores and ram, so from 2 cores to 4 cores out of my 6 and then 4 gigs of ram to 8 gigs of ram out of the hosts 16. Mouse movements are smooth but apps and general use presents a lot of studdering. Granted it's on my dedicate vm drive which is a slower 2tb hdd but I know it shouldn't be running like this. 

The Louvre

2 hours ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Yep thank you. Got this running, successfully, after jumping through some hoops with the VMX file and I downloaded an update for Mac OS Mojave successfully last night :). One more question, do you know how to increase performance? I've tried tinkering with adding cores and ram, so from 2 cores to 4 cores out of my 6 and then 4 gigs of ram to 8 gigs of ram out of the hosts 16. Mouse movements are smooth but apps and general use presents a lot of studdering. Granted it's on my dedicate vm drive which is a slower 2tb hdd but I know it shouldn't be running like this. 

Nope sorry, that is outside my wheelhouse. I would only say to check your CPU performance and see if you are maxing it out. You need to do this in windows and in your OSX vm. 

2 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

Nope sorry, that is outside my wheelhouse. I would only say to check your CPU performance and see if you are maxing it out. You need to do this in windows and in your OSX vm. 

Yeah I think the issue is more to do with Mojaves lack of support for Nvidia GPU's. Sigh. I'll have to go through the Nvidia control panel and force the igpu to run in vmware. Again, can't thank you enough : )

The Louvre

1 hour ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Yeah I think the issue is more to do with Mojaves lack of support for Nvidia GPU's. Sigh. I'll have to go through the Nvidia control panel and force the igpu to run in vmware. Again, can't thank you enough : )

Yeah if you want your NVIDIA gpu you need to downgrade back to high sierra.

No problem, glad to help.