rgb, advice for someone who's out of date?

vangsfreaken

so i've recently built a new htpc/gaming rig, and since it's my first complete build since 2011 i wanna make it shine, but i'm kind of out of date on the latest trends... i have a dan a4-sfx v3 with a rog strix x470-i, ryzen 5 2600, 1070 FE, 1tb M.2 ssd, corsair sf600, and so on... but fancy shit such as rgb didn't exist when i last kept up with computers ? so, to the question(s):

1. i've noticed the mobo has a rgb-header, can this actually power anything or is it purely for signal?

2. if it can actually power something, can anyone recommend something that will allow me to connect a minimum of two strips without any additional controllers or anything? i'm hoping i can simply plug a strip or two to the mobo and control it with aura? 

3. custom cables. are there anyone else than pslate doing custom length/angles for this case? could have done them myself, but i'm working 12-14 hours a day, so... it would take a month or two ?

EDIT: wow, this forum has a incredible response! creds to both users and moderators/admins/owners :) 

Any motherboard provided RGB Solution that is not Aura Sync is pretty bad imho.

Check out my RGB Ecosystem guide if you want some uniformisation in your new build. Feel free to ask me questions :)

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

9 minutes ago, vangsfreaken said:

1. i've noticed the mobo has a rgb-header, can this actually power anything or is it purely for signal?

2. if it can actually power something, can anyone recommend something that will allow me to connect a minimum of two strips without any additional controllers or anything? i'm hoping i can simply plug a strip or two to the mobo and control it with aura? 

3. custom cables. are there anyone else than pslate doing custom length/angles for this case? could have done them myself, but i'm working 12-14 hours a day, so... it would take a month or two ?

1. it can supply 5 or 12 volts depending on the header

2. one strip per header is best to do... if you have 2 headers, just get 2 rgb 12 volt ledstrips,@CableMod has ones for example.

3. i think my tag an 2 says enough...

https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-PH-LEDKT_Combo-Strip-Combo-Retail/dp/B01HUFMIZ2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3SZ4H2LLPDRKZ&keywords=asus+aura+led+strip&qid=1547761690&sprefix=asus+aura+%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-4

good RGB strip, works with the asus aura 12v RGB connector.

as for custom cables: Pslate looks good, or just measure (should be 200-300mm) and get them on cablemod (get the PRO version, regular is ugly)

17 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Any motherboard provided RGB Solution that is not Aura Sync is pretty bad imho.

Check out my RGB Ecosystem guide if you want some uniformisation in your new build. Feel free to ask me questions :)

despite lacking knowledge on the subject; i agree, anything missing support to sync up to other devices in such common software seem kinda useless ? 

11 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

1. it can supply 5 or 12 volts depending on the header

2. one strip per header is best to do... if you have 2 headers, just get 2 rgb 12 volt ledstrips,@CableMod has ones for example.

3. i think my tag an 2 says enough...

1. voltage is only half the equation, what about amps?

2. depending on number 1, unless there's a common standard here it all comes down to what the mobo can deliver of power. i'll check out cablemod though, already got a code for 15% off or something :) 

9 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-PH-LEDKT_Combo-Strip-Combo-Retail/dp/B01HUFMIZ2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3SZ4H2LLPDRKZ&keywords=asus+aura+led+strip&qid=1547761690&sprefix=asus+aura+%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-4

good RGB strip, works with the asus aura 12v RGB connector.

as for custom cables: Pslate looks good, or just measure (should be 200-300mm) and get them on cablemod (get the PRO version, regular is ugly)

interesting, can i plug 2 of those straight into the mobo without any more hassle?

the clue/problem with cables in the a4-sfx is that you need a ridiculously short, angled 24 pin to avoid kinks and bends, so i need cables for this spesific case :) 

17 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Any motherboard provided RGB Solution that is not Aura Sync is pretty bad imho

mystic isn't that bad...

and we at least get 8/12 phase power designs

1 minute ago, vangsfreaken said:

1. voltage is only half the equation, what about amps?

2. depending on number 1, unless there's a common standard here it all comes down to what the mobo can deliver of power. i'll check out cablemod though, already got a code for 15% off or something :) 

general standard, 12 volts is 12 volts

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

mystic isn't that bad...

and we at least get 8/12 phase power designs

general standard, 12 volts is 12 volts

sure, but there's 3 factors... voltage, amps and wattage. you need to find 2 out of 3 to know the limitations.

Just now, vangsfreaken said:

sure, but there's 3 factors... voltage, amps and wattage. you need to find 2 out of 3 to know the limitations.

as long as you get aura certified 12 volt or 5 volt strips (4 or 3 pin respectively) there's nothing else to worry about

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

as long as you get aura certified 12 volt or 5 volt strips (4 or 3 pin respectively) there's nothing else to worry about

certified= nice to know. didn't know "aura-compatible" was a standard ? but if that's a common thing that makes it easier :) 

3 minutes ago, vangsfreaken said:

certified= nice to know. didn't know "aura-compatible" was a standard ? but if that's a common thing that makes it easier :) 

exept if you're going AliExpress level, most have some kind of a certification for it. it's as easy as that

26 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

exept if you're going AliExpress level, most have some kind of a certification for it. it's as easy as that

alright then, guess i can just look for "aura-compatible" strips/kits :) would still like to know the limitations though. can i, for example, use a splitter and plug 2 kits/strips to one header, or would that require an additional power source? 

alright then, guess i can just look for "aura-compatible" strips/kits :) would still like to know the limitations though. can i, for example, use a splitter and plug 2 kits/strips to one header, or would that require an additional power source? 

i honestly never came up to that level of rgb... maybe wait for cablemod to reply?

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

i honestly never came up to that level of rgb... maybe wait for cablemod to reply?

that makes two of us ? it seems simple in normal builds, but in such cases where you can't even fit a controller, it's... interesting? 

guess i can try reaching out to some producers/dealers, they may answer if they can make a buck ;) 

that makes two of us ? it seems simple in normal builds, but in such cases where you can't even fit a controller, it's... interesting? 

guess i can try reaching out to some producers/dealers, they may answer if they can make a buck ;) 

cablemod around here on this forum (as the account i linked above is a industry affiliate) normally replies in max a day, so just wait and they'll help you better than i can. i only use my headers for my front fans and cpu fan, and the front one came with a 3 way splitter included...

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

cablemod around here on this forum (as the account i linked above is a industry affiliate) normally replies in max a day, so just wait and they'll help you better than i can. i only use my headers for my front fans and cpu fan, and the front one came with a 3 way splitter included...

if you're running 2-3-4 fans on the same header i assume 2 strips shouldn't be a problem, although it's usually alot more led's in those than fans ? but i can always wait for a second opinion, no rush...

if you're running 2-3-4 fans on the same header i assume 2 strips shouldn't be a problem, although it's usually alot more led's in those than fans ? but i can always wait for a second opinion, no rush...

3... cm mb5...

I'm not sure... that's mostly why, and they might be able to give you a nice advice on your cable colors