Questions about windows 10 upgrade

Phas3r

Currently I'm using windows 8.1 on gaming rig, it hasn't been upgraded to w10 before.

I just ordered a samsung 970 evo 500GB nvme.

I will take out my current samsung 860 pro ssd with windows 8.1.

I want to install windows 10 on the 970 evo.

I found out I can download the tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I believe I can install the windows 10 installation files with this tool on a 8GB usb stick?

When/where do I use the windows 8.1 key?

In the past I installed windows 8.1 from the dvd I have, didn't think about UEFI at that time and so it has been installed and is running in Legacy mode.

Now before I install windows 10 I want to use UEFI mode. (should I use secure boot as well?)

(my motherboard is the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming with latest BIOS)

Are there any other specific BIOS settings I need to change before the windows 10 installation on the 970 evo?

The other thing is, once windows 10 installed in UEFI mode, can I still access my internal NTFS storage HDD? (it doesn't have any boot files on it)

Also can I still access the files on my samsung 860 pro SSD with my old windows 8.1 installation when connected just with sata to usb adapter?

Thanks in advance!

I think I use 16gb flash drives, because those are what are super cheap atm. You can download the iso and install it off of dvd like you are used to if you want. Or create a flash drive.

Yes it will recognize your old drive via adapter, but it will usually say you dont have access click here to permanently gain access to this folder, then it takes a while, so dont have a heart attack.

Your Windows 8 key is not able to be used for a Windows 10 installation. There was a free upgrade back in 2015-2016, but that finished a long time ago. Your only option (to get Windows 10 at least) is to buy a new key, or not buy a key and not pay for Windows.

I would recommend UEFI & secure boot (regardless of recent security holes. You may want to check for BIOS updates while your at it) Your BIOS should be setup out-of-box for Windows, and so you should be fine. I don't change much other than things like Virtualization. You won't have any issues with your drives, and a SATA to USB adapter should work fine - although you might not get full transfer speeds on your SSD

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

2 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

You won't have any issues with your drives, and a SATA to USB adapter should work fine - although you might not get full transfer speeds on your SSD

I just need to copy some files from it and will then format some parttions(OS and boot partitions) via the usb sata adapter or can I just install the 860 pro SSD internally and will it boot up to windows 10 anyway ignoring the old legacy windows 8.1 installation?

6 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

Your Windows 8 key is not able to be used for a Windows 10 installation.

Well the internet says different....

https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-the-ways-you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free/

2 hours ago, Phas3r said:

I just need to copy some files from it and will then format some parttions(OS and boot partitions) via the usb sata adapter or can I just install the 860 pro SSD internally and will it boot up to windows 10 anyway ignoring the old legacy windows 8.1 installation?

If you have it plugged in via USB then it will only boot from it if the boot order dictates it is before your internal one. This is normally the case, as most people (if they have a USB drive connected - which will be what is detected as) will be set as before their main internal drive, so you can install an OS. You can change this from your boot settings within your BIOS, however to avoid confusion, just don't have it plugged in during bootup, and plug it in once windows has started. You will be able to change partitions, format and everything using USB.

2 hours ago, Phas3r said:

I have tried this and it didn't work (August of last year) for me. I didn't have a retail key, so that could be it, but OEM, Single Language and 'N' versions of Windows do not transfer over, and this only works in some regions. Saying that, if you have a Retail key, yes it probably will work.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.