Laptop CPU over 85ºC

thesoulkeeper
Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,

It's actually a normal result. Old MSI gaming laptops especially lower end ones don't cool CPU well

Can try undervolting and repaste (some paste aren't suitable for laptops / outdated so keep in mind)

hello everybody.

I'm here to ask for help or any advise, it's been a while since my laptot, an msi gp62, has had thermal issues, reaching CPU 97ºC playing Crysis 3. When I saw it, decided to contact msi and they answered to change the bios and firmware, after doing it, my laptop still reaches CPU 87ºC with Crysis 3 and I'm thinking that this might be a thermal paste problem.

what I'm asking if there is any problem if i do so, or if I should leave it.

and if i need to change the thermal paste, which is the best option to apply.

currently running CPU I7-6700HQ

thanks in advice.

If it's still under warranty I would ship it to MSI. Even though they are not exactly known for their "good" customer support...

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

2 minutes ago, thesoulkeeper said:

but, anyone knows how to do it?

never done it before... that would be something for the laptop subforum

btw, you might want to quote people

Years before I built my desktop PC and I used to game on my laptop. The CPU and GPU would both reach 95C and throttle the performance since 95C was the temperature limit. I cleaned the fans, replaced the thermal paste and it only dropped to 93C... Gaming on a laptop is just not a good idea, high temperatures are to be expected since you can't have proper cooling and air flow inside a laptop. Laptops are designed to run at hot temperatures anyway, so your components won't get damaged.

It's actually a normal result. Old MSI gaming laptops especially lower end ones don't cool CPU well

Can try undervolting and repaste (some paste aren't suitable for laptops / outdated so keep in mind)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128