Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Phishing Emails - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goliath_1911

Moving the fan to the other side of a cpu cooler

Cooler fans are generally optimized for push so having the fan in pull would likely mean worse performance. The difference is usually small unless the fan has a design that's extremely skewed towards push like the Noctua NF-F12 with its stator guide vanes.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys i got the msi frozr L for my cpu , i know if the fan has an issue with ram spacing i can move it away a bit, but would it make a huge difference if i put it on the other side of the fins and make it so it pulls air through them instead of pushing?

also my board has 4 ram slot and i only plan on using 2 , could i just put them in the next dual channel config instead of the 1st one(would that too make a difference?? (a bit off topic i know sorry) 

thanks

The priority slots for ram let empty the one close to the cpu.

CPU:i7 9700k, Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC, Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB, PSU:Corsair CS 650 M Gold, Display(s):Samsung P2470HD, SAMSUNG LS24E390HL, Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T, Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire, Mouse:Razer Naga Mouse 2014Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker

Posted · Best Answer

Cooler fans are generally optimized for push so having the fan in pull would likely mean worse performance. The difference is usually small unless the fan has a design that's extremely skewed towards push like the Noctua NF-F12 with its stator guide vanes.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

One other thing I would add is that you could rotate the cooler so the fan doesn't interfere with the RAM.

Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Hmm i see 

11 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

One other thing I would add is that you could rotate the cooler so the fan doesn't interfere with the RAM.

I might try that too if it still interfers with the ram(ram is not here yet) , i can put the fan at the bottom side so it pushes air upwards 

Thnx :)

Depends, for me having A15 on other side (with added padding) didn't change anything.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv