iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects 3rd party repairs

According to a report from the BBC website from 5 February, 2015, iPhones who have had 3rd can be disabled with Error 53. This is happening on iPhone 6 users. As a person who does repairs on iPhones, could hurt my side business. I can say, that I'm not a fan of that. I completely understand Apple disabling the Touch ID functionality for security reasons. To me, security comes first, but it doesn't brick the phone. 

BBC Report

The Guardian Report

Yeah theres already a post about that one on the News subforum. Of course, regarding that, i believe its fair. I mean, your supose to use official hardware anyways, to maximize trustability and execution.

Groomlake Authority

That's stupid, Apple is digging their own grave and helping Android

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

57 minutes ago, Maximoose said:

-snip-

Well Android has been digging its own grave, since its update system died. Thats why so many manufacturers have disappeared. I only see Chinese ones anymore, and HTC is a dying breed, just like Sony. Apple is simply causing problems to people with 3rd party hardware, and i dont see a problem with that. Its more money for them actually.

Groomlake Authority

I agree with them disabling the fingerprint reader but not bricking all a user's data without notice. That is completely messed up. 

I also do repairs, but this doesn't matter so much if you do screen repairs. The profit to time ratio is all out of wack and it's not worth the time. Sending customers to Apple to get repairs has become the way solution and it's not because of error 53 alone. Apple's screens are just getting harder and more expensive to repair and Apple is repairing them, with warranty intact for only $130. That's a steal. 

BTW Error 53 has been around for almost 2 years now. Took media long enough. ;)

It's for protection, if you have replaced unauthorized repair the touch id and use apple pay then your credit card information may be stolen or corrupted.

But disabling touch id function would do, like apple pay should be blocked till they replaced it at the apple store.

5 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

It's for protection, if you have replaced unauthorized repair the touch id and use apple pay then your credit card information may be stolen or corrupted.

But disabling touch id function would do, like apple pay should be blocked till they replaced it at the apple store.

I agree, but bricking the whole phone?

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

On 06.02.2016 at 10:50 PM, Maximoose said:

why? repair your iphone at authorised service centers

1 hour ago, s3ns3 said:

why? repair your iphone at authorised service centers

Because if you paid your own good money for the device, don't you think you have the right to put whatever parts you want inside of it?

42 minutes ago, Maximoose said:

Because if you paid your own good money for the device, don't you think you have the right to put whatever parts you want inside of it?

we are talking about a phone not a pc case :)

a phone that needs repairs

On 2/7/2016 at 5:52 PM, Maximoose said:

Yea well you can. As long as you don't touch the home button, you are good to go. 

Although, opening your device to repair yourself will void your warranty. 

What Apple is doing is generally understandable. The reason they brick the phone is so that there is no way for a stolen device's data to be extracted. This idea looked good on paper I'm sure, but essentially back fired.