4P Changes Coming - The requirements for BIGADV increasing

Just saw this on my twitter feed...

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/changes-to-the-bigadv-threshold/

Kinda sucks for those just getting in. Basically by the spring time, you will need a min 32 core system to Fold bigadv.

What that means - those cheap 16 and 24 core socket F systems are out the door. You will be pretty much limited to decent 32 core G34 boxes. But, should mean even bigger points and rewards for them. :)

Will keep everyone tuned...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

well this is interesting, and sad for several people on this forum, thanks for the headsup, i wonder though.. was the demand for bigadv to big? is that it? seemed to me like they just wanted more people on normal projects and less people on bigadv, that's fine and all but i doubt alot of people will bother running normal projects on lower end 4p units  and get less than half of what they used to.

there are also several upcoming 4p builds that are socket f, .. well dammn, they can still be used for a few months, then fold normally i guess, so not a complete waste, in some sense it's kinda fun that bigadv is more exclusive and true to it's name.

btw whaler, hows it going?

this is really dissapointing for me. did i just spend 500 euro's for nothing.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

I doubt you spent the money for nothing, because even if you cant do the bigadv wu's you can still contribute to the project immensely with a 4p system.  

I doubt you spent the money for nothing, because even if you cant do the bigadv wu's you can still contribute to the project immensely with a 4p system.  

exactly, you will still be able to fold bigadv for a couple of months, and then you can keep folding normal projects, you just won't be folding bigadv and you will be getting alot less points, but you can still fold so it isn't wasted money, but yeah i do see where you are coming from and it sucks ..

btw i wouldn't exactly say contribute immensely as these cpu's aren't exactly power houses, so i would tone it down abit, there's a reason your ppd tanks if not doing bigadv :P.

Copied from the other post. :)

It's funny, but it turns out the assumption is they may have to many - so trimming the fat. Seems like lately Pande really seems to be making the push to get folks to move to GPU folding.

Tear over at [H]ard though is trying to figure out if they are just changing core count requirements or the deadlines as well. If they just modify the core count requirements, speculation is there may be a work around. If they change the deadline though, like they did when going from 8 to 16, then that will make it a lot harder, as that isn't something we can fake...a 24 Core socket F can just complete most of the projects. If they tighten deadlines, would make it impossible.

Things are going ok... busy, very busy... 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

we would like to encourage moderately powerful machines to help boost the capabilities of non-bigadv SMP projects where we do a lot of this science.

i do see there point in changing the requirements. it sucks for most of us who just built some 4p builds my 4p machine will drop to around 35k ppd. 

just wish i knew i would have grabbed two r9 280 instead of the 3 4p folders.

i do see there point in changing the requirements. it sucks for most of us who just built some 4p builds my 4p machine will drop to around 35k ppd. 

just wish i knew i would have grabbed two r9 280 instead of the 3 4p folders.

well, 4p folding is still just fine, atleast i think .. you just have to dish out the money for a newer g34 system rather than the older socket f, and the price difference beetwen the two is immense.

well, 4p folding is still just fine, atleast i think .. you just have to dish out the money for a newer g34 system rather than the older socket f, and the price difference beetwen the two is immense.

yes a good g34 4p server is still the way to go like whalers server. but those of us with 4p socket f servers will not make the deadline anymore.

Well, let's wait and see if they do adjust them - no word on that, just core count so far... deadlines might remain constant...