Shadowplay vs Bandicam

Hi, this is my first post on linustechtips \:D/

I've noticed a lot of praise for nVidia shadowplay lately compared to FRAPS even though it is still in beta. It is a really good attempt by nvidia to gain market share with this feature. I have been using method at the moment with a capture card. Though I do feel that Linus tech should grab this video capture issue by the ball$. I am surprised not many people on youtube or on gaming forms talk about it though, it is either fraps or dxtory.

I have been toying around with Bandicam http://goo.gl/WrdZf Sadly I cannot take full advantage of what it has to offer in its latest form with my current hardware setup. which is the following:

Key features of Bandicam
  • Bandicam can record DirectX/OpenGL programs like the Fraps (Fraps AlternativeBetter than Fraps®)
  • The recorded file size is much smaller than other software (Bandicam compresses the video when recording)
  • You can upload the recorded file to YouTube without converting (720p/1080p full HD video can be made)
  • You can record over 24 hours without stopping (Auto Complete Recording function can be used)
  • You can record video at resolutions up to 2560*1600 in high quality
  • You will experience much less lag than with other capture programs (It uses much lower CPU/GPU/HDD)

Improved the recording performance by using hardware acceleration
  • Bandicam provides hardware accelerated h.264 encoder
  • Nvidia® CUDA™ H.264 encoder
  • Intel® Quick Sync video H.264 encoder
  • H.264 (AMD APP)" encoder.

So I'd like to request a comparitive benchmark with shadowplay and Bandicam using the H.264 hardware encoder codecs on the compatible hardware for bandicam.

Using

Intel QuickSync to capeture and encode

nVidia GTX6xx or higher with the Nvidia® CUDA™ H.264 encoder

AMD GPU (GCN GPU) with AMD APP

And see which gives better results, customizability, compatibility with games, etc. And is it worth getting a GTX 6xx/7xx specifically for Shadowplay in the future, or can you spend 40 dollars on a piece of software with regular updates and multiple hardware encoding support.

At this point in time, the only difference between ShadowPlay and Bandicam/Dxtory and so on. Is that Shadowplay have a 10-20 minut limitation on what you record. So if you're going to record 4 hours let's plays, then get software for it.

Apart from that, there's little to no performance hit with Shadowplay. Where as Bandicam/Dxtory has some, but not much. And Shadowplay doesn't currently support desktop recording = games like Minecraft can't be recorded.

I beg to differ with bandicam as an option for recording, because it can record with the same "minimal" performance hit as shadowplay, the difference is that its not limited to propriety hardware. It can use the GPU's onboard video encoder, and INtel's Onboard Video Encoder via quicksync.

Where Dxtory and Fraps you have a bigger performance hit than bandicam and shadowplay as they use Cuda, APP or Intel Quicksync. Where fraps and dxtory uses pure software encoding. Its not just about the length of the recording but also about the performance hit ingame. If you only lose 5-10fps instead of 20-30Fps recording at 1080p @60fps on your current setup, then shadowplay has a long way to go. 

Shadowplay doesn't support desktop recording and does not support OpenGL, where bandicam already does those 2 using hardware encoding built into those named above.

Think you are missing the point though. Record, encode with minimal performance hit. This is why I bring up bandicam.

Welcome to the forums!

I use Bandicam for screen capture, and it does do a lot better than FRAPS. But since ShadowPlay is still in beta, and I don't have a video card that supports it, Bandicam is still pretty good, even though you do have to pay for it and it takes a little more effort. But it's worth it. And the file sizes are impressive.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)