Worth getting wired? And how?(Noob Topic)

Kira0172

Hi guys,

So for the past, year i think, i have been using this:

sitecom-wireless-network-usb-p_14216511v

Plug it in, run the setup on the cd and i was done. It was ok, but it broke!

So i have no internet on my own pc now, and, i really need some help.
I have no experience with drilling holes and stuff and i also don't know anything about networking. 

So we have 2 routers/modums. one on the first floor, and one on the third. Unfortunately my room is on the second floor:/
Now i thought, is it worth running wire from my router/modum(i dont know what it's called) to my room. With that stick, my internet was fine, but i don't know if it'll improve if i were to get a cable.

If i go for wired, then i need to drill 2 holes in 2 walls, one on the third floor, and one in my own room, wich i have 0 experience with, and run the ethernet cable through that. But then HOW DO I GET IT THROUGH THAT HOLE. The ends of those cables are thick. I can cut it, but then i cant just connect them with.. tape... i think. I also don't know how thick that hole would be:/ And it will look all ugly as i must run that cable on the ceiling through a hallway. Is there like anything that could make that look.. OK, rather then ugly(yes, a random gray cable is ugly) if i were to do this?

Now i also saw some people having a thing that looked like an adapter they put into their wall socket, then having an ethernet cable running from that thing to their pc. is that different than the usb stick thing i used to use?

I hope that's enough to be able to help me. 
Thanks!

Ask a parent or an electrician he will do it for a small amount of buck.(Ermmm. A parent will not take any money from you tho :D) So no need to buy drills and stuff.

If WiFi worked nicely before, you don't game too much on-line and your network traffic isn't too high, I would just stick with WiFi. If the reception is a problem, you could go with those wall plugs. I generally only bother with wired if the two other solutions doesn't cut it

Ok wired beats wireless like a wet fish, go for wired. Make sure your drill bit is a bit bigger than you ethernet end. make sure your not drilling throw any pipe or wires,

Take you time and you'll be fine. They only way you'll learn is by doing, if u mess it up, it no biggy just try again :)

Hm that's true. I didn't know wireless and wired would make a lot of difference tho. And i don't want to make the hole that big because it will be ugly and i don't have a thick drill like that. I need to do something else.

Ask a parent or an electrician he will do it for a small amount of buck.(Ermmm. A parent will not take any money from you tho :D) So no need to buy drills and stuff.

Yeah the drilling part is quite easy as i can just ask my parents, but they dont know much about internet at allxD

If WiFi worked nicely before, you don't game too much on-line and your network traffic isn't too high, I would just stick with WiFi. If the reception is a problem, you could go with those wall plugs. I generally only bother with wired if the two other solutions doesn't cut it

Well that's a thing i forgot to mention. I do actually game on it, quite frequently, and network traffic can be high sometimes^^

Then there are still some things i'm not sure about. 

i don't know what cable to get.

How do i get it through the hole(i don't want to pay 35$ for this:

1298284568TW4.jpg

I actually don't know if ethernet cables in the Netherlands are the same as in other country's, but, this tool clips the 8 colored wires in a cable to these:

$(KGrHqN,!lMFJTk4MJC9BSbmBig))w~~60_12.J

Get a cheap Rj45 crimping tool, no need to pay $35 for one. 

i don't know what cable to get.

If you are going for wire, I would go for gold and get Cat6. It's supposed to be rated for 10Gb

Get a cheap Rj45 crimping tool, no need to pay $35 for one. 

Oh thanks, now i now the name of that tool:D 

Found a couple for <5$

Anyway Thanks a lot guys.

I kinda know what to do now, i'll get back to this topic if i have any more problems:P

Again, thanks to all of you<3

Get you some old construction low voltage boxes, some cat-6e cable, a razer, 2 rj-45 faceplate. get you some 110 punchdown blocks 4 would be preferred so you can have two runs down the floors, If you have it a fish tape would be handy.  Then look up some videos on how to run ethernet cable in an old construction home.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram