GTA IV graphics issue, hd 7950 and windows 8

Scotty

Hello everyone, I am having a big issue with my steam version of GTA IV, I have a recently built pc, a full spec list is on my profile, but the main things are that I have an HD 7950 with 3GB of VRAM.

The issue is that ALL settings are stuck on low. It will not let me change them at all, and thne resolution is stuck on the lowest possible, but I have a 1080p monitor. It says that I'm using too much video RAM but it says 202/3072!! I've heard that you can fix it using a command line, however i've tried multiple times and that does not work.

I believe it may have something to do with windows 8, because all tutorials I've seen are on 7 or below. I already had to make some changes with properties of the game just to get it to open in the first place. I set the compatibility setting to windows 7, I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and knows a fix, Thank you!

Intel i5 4670k @4.2 GHz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Sabertooth Z87, Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 MHz 16GB, Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8GB, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, NZXT Switch 810, Asus MX34VQ, Asus MX239H.

did it work before? or did it start up like this? anyways, you can try to run it in compatiblitymode with windows 7

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

did it work before? or did it start up like this? anyways, you can try to run it in compatiblitymode with windows 7

It has the issue on your first start up till you add the above that I posted

\

Nicholas has explained half of what needs to be done.

-Go to your GTA IV directory and make a .txt file called commandline.

-Inside this commandline.txt file put "-availablevidmem 2.0" without the quotation marks.

-Then go into Steam, right click on it and press properties. 

-Then click "Set launch options".

-In the popup box put in "-nomemrestrict -norestrictions -availablevidmem 2.0" without the quotation marks. 

This is make GTA IV recognise 2GB of VRAM, I don't know how to get it to recognise 3GB, but 2 is more than enough to max it out.

I had this problem, but that fixed it. To be honest, it's a shit game and not worth the hassle, just play Vice City. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

Hello everyone, I am having a big issue with my steam version of GTA IV, I have a recently built pc, a full spec list is on my profile, but the main things are that I have an HD 7950 with 3GB of VRAM.

The issue is that ALL settings are stuck on low. It will not let me change them at all, and thne resolution is stuck on the lowest possible, but I have a 1080p monitor. It says that I'm using too much video RAM but it says 202/3072!! I've heard that you can fix it using a command line, however i've tried multiple times and that does not work.

I believe it may have something to do with windows 8, because all tutorials I've seen are on 7 or below. I already had to make some changes with properties of the game just to get it to open in the first place. I set the compatibility setting to windows 7, I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and knows a fix, Thank you!

You say in the post that you have a 7950, but your profile says its a GT630 or something...

First question, which is it?

Second question is did you do a clean install of Windows when you changed video cards?  If you didnt the game might be freaking out because its good old buddy GT630 isnt there anymore.  (a lot of poorly programed games [GTA is always one of them] wont adjust when you change hardware, they just freak out because its not what it origonally configured itself under)

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I had the exact same issue when I first loaded it, I found a way that fixed it for me:

Right click on game in steam and create a desktop shortcut.

Go to the shortcut and right click and properties. In the target field it will say something like: "L:\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto IV\GTAIV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" including the quotation marks.

Simply add -norestrictions to the end of the target so that it looks like: "L:\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto IV\GTAIV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -norestrictions

Then ok and run it from that shortcut. You can then set the graphics settings as you like and then run it from steam from then on.

Obviously your target may not look exactly like mine, the important bit is the -norestrictions on the end.

Hope this helps.

PC Specs: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz 1.165v, Corsair H100i + 2x SP120 PE in Pull, Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero, 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600mhz, X-fire Sapphire HD7950 3GB OC Dual X Edition, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 120GB OCZ Agility 3, 480GB Seagate 600 Series, 1TB WD Caviar Black, Corsair TX850, CM Storm Trooper, Win 7 Pro. Peripherals: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard, Logitech G700S Mouse, Sennheiser G4ME ONE Headset, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers. Phone: HTC One M8.

You say in the post that you have a 7950, but your profile says its a GT630 or something...

First question, which is it?

Second question is did you do a clean install of Windows when you changed video cards?  If you didnt the game might be freaking out because its good old buddy GT630 isnt there anymore.  (a lot of poorly programed games [GTA is always one of them] wont adjust when you change hardware, they just freak out because its not what it origonally configured itself under)

I recently built a pc, for some reason my thinggy hasnt updated, I did change it...

Intel i5 4670k @4.2 GHz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Sabertooth Z87, Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 MHz 16GB, Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8GB, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, NZXT Switch 810, Asus MX34VQ, Asus MX239H.

I recently built a pc, for some reason my thinggy hasnt updated, I did change it...

Okay, so its a 7950 with a clean instal of Windows.  No other video card has ever been used in this system?

If that is the case, which driver version you using?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Okay, so its a 7950 with a clean instal of Windows.  No other video card has ever been used in this system?

If that is the case, which driver version you using?

no other video card has been used, and 13.8 beta

unfortunatly I ran into another error now. I reinstalled the game on steam as I thought it might give me a fresh start to do what the replies suggested, but now this is occuring after I log into social club or try and play offline... "Seculauncher: failed to start application. [2000]"

Yea this sounds almost exactly like a bad instal of the game...  And the way they do it, uninstalling and reinstalling probably wont work...  you might be required to do a complete clean install of the OS...

My C++ element wouldnt install right once, so I had to do a complete reintall because it would never actually install it...

Spoiler

• 3 months later...

I have windows 8 i used that command, it allows me to change the settings and i put them all to the lowest but it says 203/26 what should i do how do i dedicate more RAM to gta 4

I have windows 8 i used that command, it allows me to change the settings and i put them all to the lowest but it says 203/26 what should i do how do i dedicate more RAM to gta 4

Just use the steam command -nomemrestrict -norestrictions. Right click the game, properties, launch options ( something like that ). Remove that config edit, it's unnecessary. 

I made a post just like this two days ago. And that is how I resolved it. However, the game crashes after playing for 10 minutes. Idk why. Oh and make sure to update the game. 

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p