PCIe as fast as possible

Hi, just a quick question, i'm not a PC noob but i am very confused at something, processors have a set amount of PCIe lanes (16 on Skylake) but the mobo, or better yet, the Chipset have another PCIe Lanes (100 series=20).

My question is why, what does the CPU does and what does the chipset does, i'm aware that the interconnect between the CPU and Chipset is the new DMI 3.0, about 4GB/s soooooo what's going on xD.

I'm planing to upgrade my computer next year, Z170, Skylake, 16GB DDR4, new Nvidia 16nm FF+ (SLI), Silent Case, etc. and the PCIe Lanes are necessary for my build (SLI+Thunderbolt 3+ Maybe M.2 or PCIe Based SSD), Dunno if i will wait for Kaby Lake + 200 series for 24 PCIe lanes... i mean it's for Q4 2016...

Thanks!!! Btw recommendations for a good silent case with nice airflow? i live in Mexico so Fractal Define is a no no, no avail and international shipping is very expensive.

Cheers!

You already have 36 lanes in Skylake. That's easily enough for 2-way SLI and all the peripherals you could possibly want.

CPU lanes are meant for cards that plug in through the typical motherboard PCIe expansion like GPUs, sound cards, network cards, and SSDs that plug in via PCIe, etc.

Chipset lanes are for M.2 drives

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Yeah I've seen the videos from Linus but never mentions the diff between CPU lanes and Chip-set lanes

Wait, so it is 36 lanes in total? or is it like Fgtfv567 said that it would be like 2 8x SLI for the CPU (PCIe Expansion slots) and the others from the Z170 would be like 2 M.2 or 2 SATA express + Thunderbolt 3.0, etc (Non PCIe Expansion slots)???

Sorry for the late response, i didn't receive an email for the responses :P Thank you kindly