Fractal Design r4 - Water cooling options

Go to solution Solved by Phillip Irish,

the single fan radiator solution are to me are a compromise, not getting full benefit

of the idea and tend to be louder and warmer from the dual 120 sort of AIO.

the TD03 is a flashier setup than most single-fan AIO setups, but for cost and

performance a high-end air-cooler has a better edge more so..

review of TD02/02 in R4

airdeano

So, it has been a couple weeks since this all started and we bounced around the different ideas. I had an unfortunate delay in my purchase by about a week that turned out to be a good thing. The Zelman Reserator 3 max became available on Newegg and I took a chance and made it the cooling solution for my build in the R4. It looks awesome and is cooling like a dream! I haven't done any serious testing yet , but the installation was clean and simple, the lights are nice , but not overly bright and it runs surprisingly quiet in a push-pull setup. During prime 95 it never got over 62 degrees C. I still have not seen an official review of this unit, but thought there might be some interest in my experience. I'm happy!

I am starting a build with the Fractal Design - Define R4. Already ordered it, 30% off - great deal. I understand that the h100i is a great fit for this case and has good performance. Here is my situation though. I have ordered the r4 white window case and really like to balance the black & white theme on the inside of the case. Everything else is naturally black or dark inside the case so I was hoping a white themed cooling solution would really look good. I found the SILVERSTONE Tundra Series TD02 ALL-IN-ONE Liquid Cooler and it looks perfect for this application and is of good quality. My problem is I can't determine the dimensions of the r4 case (in the top where it is supposed to be radiator ready to an extent)to see if it will fit. I'm afraid it will be too thick to fit in the r4 case. I will be using a Sabertooth Z87 motherboard in the case. Any thoughts or alternative ideas on achieving this build/look? Thanks for your input.

I just fit my H100i into my R4 with a Sabertooth, it was tight. I don't think it will fit.

I just fit my H100i into my R4 with a Sabertooth, it was tight. I don't think it will fit.

That's what I was afraid of. Oh, well. So still remaining is if there are any alternatives to achieve a similar look. I've only done 4 builds over about a ten year period and this is the first one in which I've considered water-cooling. I heard something somewhere about maybe taking different tubing and wrapping it over the existing tubing. Is that a reasonable approach?

That's what I was afraid of. Oh, well. So still remaining is if there are any alternatives to achieve a similar look. I've only done 4 builds over about a ten year period and this is the first one in which I've considered water-cooling. I heard something somewhere about maybe taking different tubing and wrapping it over the existing tubing. Is that a reasonable approach?

It's not the most practical thing and I wouldn't suggest it, what's wrong with something like the H100i?

It's not the most practical thing and I wouldn't suggest it, what's wrong with something like the H100i?

There is nothing at all wrong with the h100i in terms of performance, and it looks great on its own too. I was just trying to work with the white case and bring out a white element on the inside. Now I'm also investigating the Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooling solution or the wrap around tubing cheat if anyone can confirm it is practical.

There is nothing at all wrong with the h100i in terms of performance, and it looks great on its own too. I was just trying to work with the white case and bring out a white element on the inside. Now I'm also investigating the Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooling solution or the wrap around tubing cheat if anyone can confirm it is practical.

I've seen the tubing wrapping done I done think it's that practical but it didn't look half bad I wouldn't get a massive air cooler.

d33g33 - NICE!

So, it looks like you drilled out extra mounting points offset to the left side of the case.  I'm not a tool savvy person - what kind-size of bit do I need to attempt this?

Another option I found last night is the Silverstone "Tundra TD03". It has the white look I was thinking about and it has gotten great reviews as far as I can tell. I could avoid the top mount hassles and set it up in a push/pull on the back exhaust. This would also allow for the top soundproofing in the r4 to remain in place and preserve the low noise design. Yes...No?

the single fan radiator solution are to me are a compromise, not getting full benefit

review of TD02/02 in R4

airdeano

d33g33 - NICE!

So, it looks like you drilled out extra mounting points offset to the left side of the case.  I'm not a tool savvy person - what kind-size of bit do I need to attempt this?

I wouldn't say I was overly savvy with this either.

I threw a magnetic filter over it so you cant see the drill marks anyways.

Cant remember the exact bit size but being in Aust its likely sized differently anyways, just closest to match the honeycomb.

The price we pay for performance eh? :D

I wouldn't say I was overly savvy with this either.

I threw a magnetic filter over it so you cant see the drill marks anyways.

Cant remember the exact bit size but being in Aust its likely sized differently anyways, just closest to match the honeycomb.

The price we pay for performance eh? :D

OK, I was wondering how you were going to deal with that long gap and dust. Slick solution!

The drill bit size depends on the screw size your radiator takes. this is usually M3 or M4 so 3 or 4mm diameter drill bit.

With a white R4 you don't want too much white on the inside so that you get a strong white/black contrast.

Metallic ram looks great in the sabertooth - dom plats, venegeance pro etc

OK, here is the latest thought revision on this. 1.cant wait for the performance review on the resonator max 3. 2. Also can't wait for it to be available since my build needs to be finished in two weeks for a project. 3. Now gravitating toward an h80i (maybe an h90 since it is 140mm) on the back exhaust. Why don't they makes the h90 in an i model!? Then put two white 140 mm fans in top at low rotation and add a second 140mm to front also at low rotation. Result = water cooling performance + super low noise + maximum airflow + clean color match on top of case. Now hit me with it, where have I gone wrong? Might also swap the fans on the h80i for some white ones if you can suggest a quiet brand that comes in white.

A dual rad will fit inside that case up top but it requires some modding.  Basically, get a drill and you'll have to drill some new holes to offset the rad more than it is in the default.  A slim rad though such as one on the H100i is about all you're going to fit with a single set of fans though.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Do you have any pictures?

I have an ASUS P8Z77-V Pro in an R4 with a Swiftech H220 up top and it fits fine. It is a snug fit, but it fits. The tight spot is the RAM slots. My radiator sits just right above the RAM clips so I think i might have to remove the rad to replace RAM. I haven't tried it, but it is pretty close. From what I can see on the Sabertooth, the only part of the shroud that really sticks out is in line with the RAM clips so I imagine everything would fit.

• 4 weeks later...

review of TD02/02 in R4

airdeano

So, it has been a couple weeks since this all started and we bounced around the different ideas. I had an unfortunate delay in my purchase by about a week that turned out to be a good thing. The Zelman Reserator 3 max became available on Newegg and I took a chance and made it the cooling solution for my build in the R4. It looks awesome and is cooling like a dream! I haven't done any serious testing yet , but the installation was clean and simple, the lights are nice , but not overly bright and it runs surprisingly quiet in a push-pull setup. During prime 95 it never got over 62 degrees C. I still have not seen an official review of this unit, but thought there might be some interest in my experience. I'm happy!