Never Buying A Second-Hand Game Again.

Neemil

So about a day and a half ago I looked up on my local classifieds a.k.a Gumtree for Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, behind I know, so I found a guy selling a few games for PS4 amongst others being AW for R300 or about $21 which is a good deal. It was about a 30 minute drive to his house to pick up the game. I brought it home and after about 10 or so minutes playing the game it kicked out and gave me a disc read error saying that the disc could be damaged or faulty. This was happening while the updates were running in the background. I immediately put the game on pause, put it back in its cover and continued to download the updates. The reason why I never contacted him immediately is because I first wanted to verify if the issue common and so it seemed because a friend of mine said it's usual and that I should first finish the update. I obviously found this odd because what has updates to do with a game not simply reading. Nontheless the updates finished earlier this morning and the same issue came about. I contacted the guy and he said he played the game the day before and I asked him if he tested it out online and if it ever happened there as well to which he replied he never plays online, holly hell who doesn't play a COD game online. So I told him to give me an hour to see what I can do, so I deleted the game file from my PS4 including my saved files and the problem didn't go away. Again I sent him a message to say nothing has changed, that was 4 hours ago. I sent him the message on Whatsapp and I could tell he read my message, blue ticks lol. So now I'm just sitting with a broken game and I'm not upset or anything just disappointed. Reason is that when I went to pick the game up this guys area was like top-notch  and his house was huge, I live in a house that's probably the size of his bathroom and in an area where someone would be killed in my road monthly and I know it's not a good thing to be prejudice or anything but if he had bought a game from me I would at least give him a game of similar value or a refund. Principles man.   

Wow dude, that sucks.  I'll remember this if I ever buy a second hand game.    BTW I'm impressed with the good attitude, keepin' it cool.  :)

You can buy used games. Just don't buy them from local sellers. I hate to say this but this is where GameStop has an edge, at least in the US.

I do agree truly we have a shop similar called BT Games in South Africa the only problem is they mostly now sell full priced games and are getting rid of their second-hand games.

I do agree truly we have a shop similar called BT Games in South Africa the only problem is they mostly now sell full priced games and are getting rid of their second-hand games.

Local sellers are a bitch, sadly. Personally, I'd just go and buy the full priced games at BT if you can afford it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

So about a day and a half ago I looked up on my local classifieds a.k.a Gumtree for Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, behind I know, so I found a guy selling a few games for PS4 amongst others being AW for R300 or about $21 which is a good deal. It was about a 30 minute drive to his house to pick up the game. I brought it home and after about 10 or so minutes playing the game it kicked out and gave me a disc read error saying that the disc could be damaged or faulty. This was happening while the updates were running in the background. I immediately put the game on pause, put it back in its cover and continued to download the updates. The reason why I never contacted him immediately is because I first wanted to verify if the issue common and so it seemed because a friend of mine said it's usual and that I should first finish the update. I obviously found this odd because what has updates to do with a game not simply reading. Nontheless the updates finished earlier this morning and the same issue came about. I contacted the guy and he said he played the game the day before and I asked him if he tested it out online and if it ever happened there as well to which he replied he never plays online, holly hell who doesn't play a COD game online. So I told him to give me an hour to see what I can do, so I deleted the game file from my PS4 including my saved files and the problem didn't go away. Again I sent him a message to say nothing has changed, that was 4 hours ago. I sent him the message on Whatsapp and I could tell he read my message, blue ticks lol. So now I'm just sitting with a broken game and I'm not upset or anything just disappointed. Reason is that when I went to pick the game up this guys area was like top-notch  and his house was huge, I live in a house that's probably the size of his bathroom and in an area where someone would be killed in my road monthly and I know it's not a good thing to be prejudice or anything but if he had bought a game from me I would at least give him a game of similar value or a refund. Principles man.   

Was the game disc physically scratched or broken?

It's quite possible (but unlikely) that it works for him, but not you.

Also, side note: I NEVER play COD for Multiplayer. I only buy them for the Single Play Campaign, and for Co-op Zombies.

Did you physically inspect the game disc before handing over your money?

You can buy used games. Just don't buy them from local sellers. I hate to say this but this is where GameStop has an edge, at least in the US.

True. Also most big chains like GameStop can provide a warranty on used games (Basically if it doesn't work, exchange for a new disc or get in-store credit for something else).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)