I5-6600K good for gaming without overclocking?

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if it was worth the extra money to get a Core i5-6600K over the 6500 I was originally going to get. I've seen benchmarks for the 6500 and it doesn't really have the performance I'm looking for in games.

What are you looking for and specs? and monitor specs too

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Why purchase an unlocked processor if you don't plan to overclock?

/facepalm.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

/facepalm.

Exactly this if you dont plan on overclocking at all just save your money and grab the non-k part.

What are you looking for and specs? and monitor specs too

Around 60 FPS at 2560x1440

Exactly this if you dont plan on overclocking at all just save your money and grab the non-k part.

Would the I5-6600(non)K do 60 FPS at ultra on 2560x1440. If you need to know the graphics card, it's a GTX 980 TI

Would the I5-6600(non)K do 60 FPS at ultra on 2560x1440. If you need to know the graphics card, it's a GTX 980 TI

the 6600 shouldnt bottleneck the 980ti. but with a build this expensive you probably should look down the road a little bit. if you upgrade your 980ti after a couple years the i5 could become a problem. if you dont want to overclock (which i understand i lost the silicon lottery too before) the i7 6700 is an option too. it goes to 4ghz.

in general i would probably wait half a year if i could because 2016 looks to be a good year for gpu enthusiasts

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

The Core i5's will kick ass for gaming, all day, every day. Any version is fine, you don't need a K version.

If you do not plan to OC just go with 6600 non k. i5 would handle 980 Ti no problem.

the 6600 shouldnt bottleneck the 980ti. but with a build this expensive you probably should look down the road a little bit. if you upgrade your 980ti after a couple years the i5 could become a problem. if you dont want to overclock (which i understand i lost the silicon lottery too before) the i7 6700 is an option too. it goes to 4ghz.

in general i would probably wait half a year if i could because 2016 looks to be a good year for gpu enthusiasts

The reason for this entire post is because I wanted an Asus ROG Swift PG248Q and If I want to afford that, I'd be waiting another 3 months after christmas, plus the 3 months it would take to get the money for the 980 TI so I was kind of planning on waiting for the next generation of GPUs anyway.

The reason for this entire post is because I wanted an Asus ROG Swift PG248Q and If I want to afford that, I'd be waiting another 3 months after christmas, plus the 3 months it would take to get the money for the 980 TI so I was kind of planning on waiting for the next generation of GPUs anyway.

well if you stretch your build over time i would go with an i7 6700 non k. i did the same thing and i wouldnt be happy with an i5 now. it just adds a lot of value to the system and changing cpu is a really annoying progress.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

well if you stretch your build over time i would go with an i7 6700 non k. i did the same thing and i wouldnt be happy with an i5 now. it just adds a lot of value to the system and changing cpu is a really annoying progress.

Yeah, I had a feeling that's the way I should go as soon as you mentioned it. Because I bought the MSI H170 Gaming M3, I couldn't overclock the processor even if I wanted to. Thinking about it now though, getting the 6600K would cost almost as much as the i7-6700 because I'd need to buy a CPU Cooler with it anyway.

/facepalm.

Facepalm is not necessary. Is LTT forum always have too much sodium every day?

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Facepalm is not necessary. Is LTT forum always have too much sodium every day?

I get why he'd react like that, it is kind of pointless to buy an unlocked processor if you aren't going to overclock it. I just wanted to know if the standard speed was good enough to get 60 fps on a 2560x1440P display I was gonna get really early next year