New system, white+black+red, ideas/tips/recommendations?

pvtHenk

Alright, hello!

This is my first time posting on a hardware forum so please excuse me if I don't use proper slang ;)

So I'm looking to build my first own computer, all of my previous hardware was pre-built or laptops (current laptop is a HP zBook 17" but the GPU isn't made for gaming) and I just wanted to have some opinions and if this would actually work together so I don't miss buy any hardware.

So my budget initially was 1000 USD, the list presented here is 1119 USD but I am willing to add that 100 USD for the color scheme.

Here it is:

• EVGA 500 W1 80+
  • WD Green 2TB Desktop HDD
  • Corsair Hydro Series H80i
  • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB(8x2GB) DDR3 2400MHz
  • MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
  • Intel core I7-4790K
  • ASUS Turbo GTX-970-OC-4GD5
  • and pack all that into a NZXT PHantom 410 Mid Tower

more detailed list with pictures: 

http://prntscr.com/96z88a

so this in total from amazon would be $1.119.41.

I have cooling paste and all that at home already, I also have an extra SSD which I used in my old system and I am planning to run windows on it, I still have an extra windows 10 activation code here.

So any tips/recommendations, also how would that cooler do if I overclocked the CPU with like 200-4000Mhz?

PS: like I said I come from a HP Zbook with an i7-4700MQ and a Quadro K3100M(Which in my experiences sucks in gaming unless madly overclocked which I can only do with my 2*120mm 220v cooling pad)

PPS:  yes I am a nvidia "fanboy" and no matter how fast any other amd card is I will stay with nvidia just because this card looks exactly what I want for this white build without having to do any crazy custom mods, this pc is maybe a bit looks > performance and tbh I don't really mind that.

get a 390 instead 

I don't know I really love nVidia for GeForce Experience and in general I am just an nVidia lover ;) No hate towards any AMD fans tho! I think this card really looks awesome! The same card with the same looks also exists in GTX 960 format but I'm not sure if that will be able to do the latest games on a high/ultra settings. Also I am a game developer so I work a lot in unreal engine 4 which my laptop here can barely handle, so I really want a GPU that looks sick and can pack a punch ;)

I don't know I really love nVidia for GeForce Experience and in general I am just an nVidia lover ;) No hate towards any AMD fans tho! I think this card really looks awesome! The same card with the same looks also exists in GTX 960 format but I'm not sure if that will be able to do the latest games on a high/ultra settings. Also I am a game developer so I work a lot in unreal engine 4 which my laptop here can barely handle, so I really want a GPU that looks sick and can pack a punch ;)

so you need a 390...

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

so you need a 390...

ok but it requires almost twice the power, even with the 20-30 dollars I might save on a radeon card I'd still need at least a 600W PSU?

ok but it requires almost twice the power, even with the 20-30 dollars I might save on a radeon card I'd still need at least a 600W PSU?

yeah but youll get much more performace for the price the money youll save on the gpu youll spend on the psu

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

yeah but youll get much more performace for the price the money youll save on the gpu youll spend on the psu

that is very true. Anyway, you think this system would be able to handle all games on very high/ultra, no matter if it's a 970 or 390?

that is very true. Anyway, you think this system would be able to handle all games on very high/ultra, no matter if it's a 970 or 390?

A 390 is a it faster and has 8 gb vram.

A 390 is a it faster and has 8 gb vram.

I wont ever need 8gb vram, my main monitor which is used for gaming is just 1080p on the GPU, planning to run my secondary monitor(also 1080p) on the onboard graphics.

I wont ever need 8gb vram, my main monitor which is used for gaming is just 1080p on the GPU, planning to run my secondary monitor(also 1080p) on the onboard graphics.

So you only need 3.5 gb vram?

So you only need 3.5 gb vram?

3D Mark Firestrike only uses 1.3GB, usually when I play games (monitored with EVGA precision) it will never go above 2GB. So I think 4GB will really be enough for what I'll be doing with it.

3D Mark Firestrike only uses 1.3GB, usually when I play games (monitored with EVGA precision) it will never go above 2GB. So I think 4GB will really be enough for what I'll be doing with it.

You can only use 3.5 GB of the vram.

If you wana buy two NZXT H440s to make a amazing looking pc, heres a dank mod created by OC3D TV and its really easy! Pair this with this and you will have a sexy pc. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xgamingg1

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Saving for a Dream rig :)

If you wana buy two NZXT H440s to make a amazing looking pc, heres a dank mod created by OC3D TV and its really easy! Pair this with this and you will have a sexy pc. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xgamingg1

that indeed looks very freakin sexy, and just what I was looking for, unfortunately I don't think I'll be buying 2 cases since these are like $100 each I believe? 

• 4 weeks later...

I dropped the red out of my design and went for just plain white/black. This is the result:

eTWzuB0.jpg

(RAM is Kingston Blu. so that´s the only component I really want to change to match the overal design)

Benchmarks:

Firestrike:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9774131?  (9851, graphics: 11411, physics: 11745 Combined: 4345)

Cinebench:

CBCPUX=791.577614
CBOPENGL=119.370825

Temps:

Prime95 for 4 hours on small FFTs: 63-65°C on default clockspeed.

GPU: Didn´t really benchmark this but was 60°C after 3 hours of running Arma 3 on Ultra settings (which runs at a very comfortable avarage of 50FPS).