good camera for recording music videos and student short films

im looking for a good camera that I can ask for for christmas that wont be so much money that my dad will instantly say no :) thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

we're looking at a guy that has no idea about technology and is middle class

Any specific budget?  If you just need something really cheap you could get a Canon EOS M for $400 off Amazon and put Magic Lantern on it.

im looking for a good camera that I can ask for for christmas that wont be so much money that my dad will instantly say no :) thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

we're looking at a guy that has no idea about technology and is middle class

Since you're not buying it with your own money, there are many things to consider to convince your parents to fork out the money.  Read one of the links in my signature.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I think I've found exactly what you're looking for!

http://www.red.com/store/products/epic-m-red-dragon-collection

You can thank me later! :D

That cheap looking thing?  NO!  The OP should go for this camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1063304-REG/for_a_ft_one_opt_full_4k_variable.html

They demo a 4K slow motion camera and upload only 720p? :blink:

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Snip

Owh-mah-geeeard!

Overpriced junk. My iPhone can do 4K, that's what the real pros use! :P

Okay, jokes aside, how big of a budget are we talking here?

Any specific budget?  If you just need something really cheap you could get a Canon EOS M for $400 off Amazon and put Magic Lantern on it.

Im thinking under $1000

Im thinking under $1000

What's your skill level with using a camera, either photo or video?  Do you want a video camera like a camcorder or a DSLR type camera that can take both photos and video?

What's your skill level with using a camera, either photo or video?  Do you want a video camera like a camcorder or a DSLR type camera that can take both photos and video?

I have some skill through school and my phone and yes I would like both photo and video but ill be using primarily video :)

I have some skill through school and my phone and yes I would like both photo and video but ill be using primarily video :)

Well these days both camcorders and photo cameras can record video and take photos.

If your main needs are video and you want to be able to operate it easily, without any hassle, I recommend a camcorder like these models for example.

Records 4K

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1109387-REG/sony_hdr_ax33v_4k_ultra_hd.html

Has built in memory

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909792-REG/Canon_8063b002_32GB_VIXIA_HF_G20.html

Otherwise if you want to use a DSLR/Mirrorless for video, because you want to try this style (see image) it will take a bit more discussion.

file_30_7.jpg