Extreme Clock Speed Build

Hello all!

I have a very interesting goal for a build coming up and REALLY need some help!

I have a client who needs a rig to run code for his research. The code ONLY runs on one core, but isn't horribly taxing. The code must finish one part before going onto the next, Therefore clock speed is EXTRAORDINARILY important.

What processor will be the best for achieving super high clock speeds? I was thinking an i7 4790k?? I have a personal goal to hit 5Ghz, but thats just me  :P

Also, what motherboards are the BEST for overclocking, this rig will be running almost constantly. I'm planning on using an AIO water cooling solution, H110i GTX.

Budget isn't as issue, as long as its under $2000

Thank you so much!

X99 mono with a skylake CPU?

CPU: Intel i7 8700k || Motherboard: Asus Z370-E ROG || RAMCorsair 4266 2x8gb || GPU: Sapphire r9 280x tri-x || Case: Corsair 780t || 

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, 1TB Segate Barracuda HDD || PSUSeasonic M12II Evo 850w || Display: AOC i2367FH 1920x1080p 23 Inch ||

CPU Cooler: Corsair h80 || KeyboardCorsair Strafe || MouseCorsair Scimitar || HeadsetHyper X Cloud II || OS: Windows 10 ||

just curious but if it only runs on 1 core... why would you get an i7... why not get the g3258 and a good cooler, this thing ocs like a champ

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

G3258 if you want to OC and just need one core and will perform the same as a 4790k at the same clocks in single core stuff

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

X99 mono with a skylake CPU?

Do Skylake CPU's overclock well? and what x99 mobo's support skylake?

just curious but if it only runs on 1 core... why would you get an i7... why not get the g3258 and a good cooler, this thing ocs like a champ

It's all about clock speed for me, the i7 will probably be able to get a little better clock speed than the g3258. I thought about that initially though...

the single fastest core you could get would be on the G3258 with a big OC (which it find's relatively easy)

for something that can actually do other things as well, any of the 4690K, 4790K, 6600K, 6700K.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

I would suggest a better performing CPU other than the anniversary edition Pentium CPU. Yes, it may be fine for single-threaded tasks, but if he decides to change his mind later or get into more in-depth coding, he may want the additional CPU horsepower. Additionally, if he decides to do other things while running his code, the Pentium CPU might become taxed and hold him back.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Do Skylake CPU's overclock well? and what x99 mobo's support skylake?

It's all about clock speed for me, the i7 will probably be able to get a little better clock speed than the g3258. I thought about that initially though...

The pentium would get higher ocs than the i7

Skylake uses the Z170 chipset, not X99.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

G3258... get about 3 of them. OC and crank that voltage up.

as the chips die replace them.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

G3258 if that's all it's ever going to be used for. That'd be a Pentium, meaning only dualcore without hyperthreading. Intel took a lot of things away from you when they turned the CPU die that could have been an i7 into this Pentium, but what they left behind was good stuff. Most importantly, like its bigger brother it comes with an unlocked multiplier so overclocking is convenient, and the disabled resources mean there's less there to crash if you do decide to OC, so chances are you'll get further. Then again, you might not. Depends on the luck of the draw. 5 GHz is not that rare with these but you need to have the silicon lottery on your side for that.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Get a i5 6600k + Z170 mobo with good power phase as Skylake seems to overclock like a champ and Skylake's marginally better IPC.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

FX-8350, a quality board, and a good AOI cooler is something to consider if as you say it doesn't execute many instructions per clock.  If he's only doing a few things and then reacting to them next clock this is probably the best way to be assured 5 GHz aside from a Pentium anniversary.  

Otherwise take a 4790K, a great board, plenty of cooling, and overvolt it unless the client needs to run this for years without interruption.  I assume he wants the task done and doesn't care about chip lifespan.  

FX-8350, a quality board, and a good AOI cooler is something to consider if as you say it doesn't execute many instructions per clock.  If he's only doing a few things and then reacting to them next clock this is probably the best way to be assured 5 GHz aside from a Pentium anniversary.  

Otherwise take a 4790K, a great board, plenty of cooling, and overvolt it unless the client needs to run this for years without interruption.  I assume he wants the task done and doesn't care about chip lifespan.  

I hope your trolling saying that a FX 8350 would be better than intel in single-threaded applications.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

I would suggest a better performing CPU other than the anniversary edition Pentium CPU. Yes, it may be fine for single-threaded tasks, but if he decides to change his mind later or get into more in-depth coding, he may want the additional CPU horsepower. Additionally, if he decides to do other things while running his code, the Pentium CPU might become taxed and hold him back.

The pentium would get higher ocs than the i7

Skylake uses the Z170 chipset, not X99.

Get a i5 6600k + Z170 mobo with good power phase as Skylake seems to overclock like a champ and Skylake's marginally better IPC.

If I don't go with the Pentium chip, whats the next best option?? I agree that having something would be nice as he will occasionally be doing other things on it. Skylake, Haswell??

Then again what you could do if cost-effectiveness isn't super-important, is get an i7 6700K, because it does have more cache and the IPC improvements from its newer architecture are worth quite a lot too, overclock it as high as it'll go, and if you want to go further disable hyperthreading and disable the one or two least stable cores (make sure you get a motherboard that can do this), and repeat.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I also suggest you buy from a tech forum. Ask around if the CPU that's being sold is a good overclocker and offer to pay extra.

Why play the silicon lottery when you could simply throw money at it?

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

Then again what you could do if cost-effectiveness isn't super-important, is get an i7 6700K, because it does have more cache and the IPC improvements from its newer architecture are worth quite a lot too, overclock it as high as it'll go, and if you want to go further disable hyperthreading and disable the one or two least stable cores (make sure you get a motherboard that can do this), and repeat.

the single fastest core you could get would be on the G3258 with a big OC (which it find's relatively easy)

for something that can actually do other things as well, any of the 4690K, 4790K, 6600K, 6700K.

So would the Skylake i7 6700K work well for this? Assuming I can disable all but maybe two of the cores? Again clock speed, clock speed, clock speed.

I hope your trolling saying that a FX 8350 would be better than intel in single-threaded applications.

I would suggest you reread the part where he said a non intensive thread.  Read up here.  If he's confident the code is written such that the execution phase is not bottlenecked by the IPC of the AMD chips because he's doing a simpler instruction set, then more cycles is king, not IPC.  If you're doing one stupidly easy thing, IPC stops mattering and you just want the most cycles per second.  

I would suggest you reread the part where he said a non intensive thread.  Read up here.  If he's confident the code is written such that the execution phase is not bottlenecked by the IPC of the AMD chips because he's doing a simpler instruction set, then more cycles is king, not IPC.  If you're doing one stupidly easy thing, IPC stops mattering and you just want the most cycles per second.  

I hope your trolling saying that a FX 8350 would be better than intel in single-threaded applications 

arnt amd chips generally better overclockers

So would the Skylake i7 6700K work well for this? Assuming I can disable all but maybe two of the cores? Again clock speed, clock speed, clock speed.

i5 4690k.  Why not skylake?  Well:

1) DDR4 is too expensive for the marginal benifit

2) Z170 boards are new and expensive

3) Not much lost performance over Skylake.

Why an i5?  Well:

You're looking to disable cores, so there is no point spending extra on a chip that just adds additional threads but equally the i5 provides a huge advantage over the pentium chip, in that it has twice the cores and 4 seems to be "sweet spot" for most things right now.

Need to stick to intel, sorry guys.

they achieve higher frequencies easier, but, even at those higher frequencies intel chips remain faster because they can perform many more instructions than AMD at a given frequency.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Yup, most FX-8350s make up to high 4s or 5 Ghz.  You can also pay a premium for a 9350, which is just a factory overclocked 8350.  Normally not worth it but if clock is a priority you can consider paying it as a sort of binning.  In A10-6800K reviews a decent number of reviewers talked about hitting 5 GHz.  

Since this forum is generally 'I want to use my CPU for gaming or video editing' the OC doesn't offset the IPC lag, but of course it all comes down to exactly what you're running.  

i5 4690k.  Why not skylake?  Well:

1) DDR4 is too expensive for the marginal benifit

2) Z170 boards are new and expensive

3) Not much lost performance over Skylake.

Why an i5?  Well:

You're looking to disable cores, so there is no point spending extra on a chip that just adds additional threads but equally the i5 provides a huge advantage over the pentium chip, in that it has twice the cores and 4 seems to be "sweet spot" for most things right now.

Is money really is NO object up to 2k.... would Skylake provide any benefit? Unless the 4690k will get a higher OC, Ill go with skylake.