CPU Overclocking for Gaming?

Does Overclocking the CPU (Skylake i5 for example) have any effect on gaming performance? And if so, is it drastic or is it only a hair better?

Well, It really depends on what game you're playing, No matter what, you'll see a performance increase while Overclocking

For gaming, its mainly the GPU you want to overclock. 

it can, depends on the game & dont be expecting like twice the fps...10? if its cpu dependant & you have a good oc id say.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Does Overclocking the CPU (Skylake i5 for example) have any effect on gaming performance? And if so, is it drastic or is it only a hair better?

Performance is directly proportional to frequency, a 25% overclock will give yout roughly a 25% increase in framrate IF and only if that component was limiting your performance in the first place.

So if I chose the Base I5 6500 over the 6600k, its not going to kill my performance if im a tad lower on what it does? Im just wondering if the extra 50$ is worth it (80$ More On modt sites)

So if I chose the Base I5 6500 over the 6600k, its not going to kill my performance if im a tad lower on what it does? Im just wondering if the extra 50$ is worth it (80$ More On modt sites)

You won't need a custom CPU cooler if you purchase a non-K version. Since you won't be doing any overclocking on that non-K chip, then what's the point of getting expensive coolers. So you'll save at least 40usd on top of that 50$ (for the 6600k) for not getting a cooler :)

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

Well you have to remember an oc is going to speed the comp up overall.

As for cost while the cpu is only $50 more you have to take into account the fact you need s beefier aftermarket cooler, & probably want a higher end mobo like a Z series, rather then an H

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I mean ive already bought a Z170A Krait and a 212 Evo cooler. So i guess the question is shoulf I just go with the K at this point anyway?

I mean ive already bought a Z170A Krait and a 212 Evo cooler. So i guess the question is shoulf I just go with the K at this point anyway?

You might as well, in the future when the games need a little more "kick" you'll be able to give it that extra boost it might need

You might as well, in the future when the games need a little more "kick" you'll be able to give it that extra boost it might need

I suppose that makes sense. Im guessing itll help especially with multi-monitor?

Well, It really depends on what game you're playing, No matter what, you'll see a performance increase while Overclocking

For gaming, its mainly the GPU you want to overclock. 

Wrong!

Some games are CPU intensive, and depend like 90% on the CPU, no matter what GPU u have.....

Flight Simulator X, Diablo 3........ And many more

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

I suppose that makes sense. Im guessing itll help especially with multi-monitor?

Yeah, in some cases it will help, especially in Multi-tasking 

Wrong!

Some games are CPU intensive, and depend like 90% on the CPU, no matter what GPU u have.....

Flight Simulator X, Diablo 3........ And many more

I never said it wasn't so calm. 

I never ever said that Overclocking WOULDN'T make a difference, I clearly stated it would. so re-read before you go posting like that. 

I guess the real question is will I suffer if I just get the 6500. Its obvious that I want the 6600K, but I just wanted to know if theres a "serious" difference