reinstalling windows

lukky211111

soooo as the title says how do i reinstall windows 10 ? i upgraded previously from windows 8.1 and im gonna be switching out my motherboard here with a new one so i need to do a fresh install.

askdjfasdf

Why do you need a fresh install with a new mobo?

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

^This. Windows 7 and up has been pretty good about being migrated from platform to platform and still working. That being said, if you are planning on replacing the hard drive and MOBO, you are looking at buying a new windows license.

When in doubt, re-format.

^This. Windows 7 and up has been pretty good about being migrated from platform to platform and still working. That being said, if you are planning on replacing the hard drive and MOBO, you are looking at buying a new windows license.

nope just replaceing the mobo i was told that you pretty much had to do a fresh install of windows for the new motherboard to work properly because of driver issues with the old motherboard drivers.

askdjfasdf

nope just replaceing the mobo i was told that you pretty much had to do a fresh install of windows for the new motherboard to work properly because of driver issues with the old motherboard drivers.

I have had luck transplanting drives from an old core2duo system to a 3rd gen i5 system. I have even heard of people migrating a boot drive from AMD platforms to intel ones with success. I would recommend trying that first and if you run into issues, you "officially" need to purchase a new windows license as the MOBO is what MS actually ties the serials with now.

Just out of curiosity, what are the 2 mobos you are switching?

I have had luck transplanting drives from an old core2duo system to a 3rd gen i5 system. I have even heard of people migrating a boot drive from AMD platforms to intel ones with success. I would recommend trying that first and if you run into issues, you "officially" need to purchase a new windows license as the MOBO is what MS actually ties the serials with now.

Just out of curiosity, what are the 2 mobos you are switching?

switching out a msi gaming 7 z97 with an asus z97 sabertooth mark 2

askdjfasdf

LOL. You will have absolutely NO issues with the boot drive working, hopefully windows stays activated for you though. Just make sure that you remove any MSI specific software and then go ahead and install the asus ones.

But yea, same chipset, so I cannot see any issues with that swap.

LOL. You will have absolutely NO issues with the boot drive working, hopefully windows stays activated for you though. Just make sure that you remove any MSI specific software and then go ahead and install the asus ones.

But yea, same chipset, so I cannot see any issues with that swap.

why the lol? and if it doesnt stay activated then what?

askdjfasdf

why the lol? and if it doesnt stay activated then what?

Just cuz I was thinking that you MAY sometimes run into issues when going from chipsets that are far apart, but they are the same.

If it doesn't activate, you'll have to call MS and get them to ok it. They are pretty cool about that stuff normally and I have several friends that have done board swaps and called up MS to carry the serial number over to the new one.

Just cuz I was thinking that you MAY sometimes run into issues when going from chipsets that are far apart, but they are the same.

If it doesn't activate, you'll have to call MS and get them to ok it. They are pretty cool about that stuff normally and I have several friends that have done board swaps and called up MS to carry the serial number over to the new one.

good to know also i dont recomend getting an msi motherboard......really hasnt been that great of an experience for me personally ;/

askdjfasdf