AMD's Vulkan Linux Driver - Closed-Source at First

HKZeroFive

post-237505-0-67752300-1442571819.jpg

This was the first time we've heard AMD's Linux team talk about Vulkan... They are working on a Vulkan Linux driver and have one prototyped, but initially it will be closed-source and the open-sourced later... They also mention that OpenCL support will initially be closed up and then opened later. They already have some basic OpenCL open-source support via the Clover Gallium3D driver, but I imagine they're referring to OpenCL 2.1+ support with SPIR-V alongside Vulkan or the OpenCL Catalyst code.

post-237505-0-02358900-1442571833.jpg

Their Vulkan driver is in user-space communicating with libdrm that in turn is interfacing with the AMDGPU kernel driver. The slides don't mention whether they intend to support Vulkan with the current Radeon DRM driver for HD 7000 through Rx 300 (non-Tonga/Carrizo/Fiji) GPUs but only reference the AMDGPU kernel driver just for the very newest AMD GPUs like the R9 Fury and Carrizo APUs.

post-237505-0-51034800-1442571854.jpg

post-237505-0-15436200-1442571866.jpg

post-237505-0-09579100-1442571875.jpg

In the future they intend to focus more on open-source than closed-source. Closed-source is still relied on for workstation features, OpenGL 4.5, and OpenCL.Basic support for their closed-source (Catalyst) OpenGL and OpenCL support riding atop the rest of the AMDGPU driver stack is complete. Their initial Vulkan driver is using DRI3.

As long as it remains closed-source only in the beginning, I'm fine with it. I'm sure the AMD Linux team is doing well, and I'm excited on what they will deliver for Vulkan on Linux.

Sauce: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-gpu-xdc15&num=1

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Al long as it becomes open asap, then fair enough

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Can someone explain how Vulkan is better than Dx12 or Dx11? Never bothered researching it and it seems interesting atleast.

EDIT: Don't worry, watched the Fast as Possible video.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

I just want...now. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

AMD have genuinely atrocious Nix support across the board, they really need to open source asap, if only to catch up with Nvidia.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Can someone explain how Vulkan is better than Dx12 or Dx11? Never bothered researching it and it seems interesting atleast.

EDIT: Don't worry, watched the Fast as Possible video.

Better than DX12? Well - it's not. At least, we have no indication yet which is better.

In one regard, you could say that Vulkan is "Better" because it is cross-platform, whereas DX12 is Windows Kernel only - but aside from that, both are too knew for us to definitely say one is better than the other.

As for why Vulkan is better than DX11? Exactly the same reason why DX12 is better than DX11.

DX12 and Vulkan are both advanced, low level API's - they have much closer control over the hardware, with reduced driver overhead, and both support advanced GPU technologies, such as Asynchronous Compute.

DX11 is supposedly easier to develop for though, since, in theory, you may need to do more tweaking in DX12/Vulkan to get the most out of it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

[tinfoil]Actually I don't think it's a coincidence that they know Nvidia has apparently no proper async compute support on DX12 so obviously they wouldn't want to just let em know the source code indirectly just yet and probably want to milk that DX12 advantage for as long as possible [/tinfoil]

-------

Current Rig

-------

[tinfoil]Actually I don't think it's a coincidence that they know Nvidia has apparently no proper async compute support on DX12 so obviously they wouldn't want to just let em know the source code indirectly just yet and probably want to milk that DX12 advantage for as long as possible [/tinfoil]

For other aspects of DX12, I could 100% believe it. However Async Compute is a hardware limitation on NVIDIA architecture - the way they implemented their queuing and compute engines just don't favour Async Compute well at all.

However, I'm certain that NVIDIA has Async Compute support coming in Pascal or Volta.

They may be able to tweak their DX12 drivers though to squeeze out more performance.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

For other aspects of DX12, I could 100% believe it. However Async Compute is a hardware limitation on NVIDIA architecture - the way they implemented their queuing and compute engines just don't favour Async Compute well at all.

However, I'm certain that NVIDIA has Async Compute support coming in Pascal or Volta.

They may be able to tweak their DX12 drivers though to squeeze out more performance.

Yea it just looked like they were better off disabling it on Maxwell chips. Which is totat ok as long as overall performance doesn't suffer relative to competition.

It will be interesting to see what happens on launch day of the first few dx12 games. I mean we kinda accept weeks of improvements per game now with dx11 but I'm sure being the first both amd and nvidia will be throwing the proverbial kitchen sink at it. The haters will be out in full swing.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Okay then I guess. Not that it matters much, since Linux market share is laughable amongst gamers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.