Intel to Form Automotive Security Review Board [ASRB]

MadSprite

Source

From the folks who brings you McAfee with your flash player, comes to bring their expertise to cars!

The new board welcomes security industry talent around the world with focus on various areas of expertise in cyber-physical systems, Intel says. ASRB will research and collaborate on auto cybersecurity technologies and products for the automobile industry and drivers.

The current cybersecurity products used in the automotive industry do not ensure proper car security and user data safety and further research in this area is needed. Although complex, the current onboard components cannot prevent vehicle hacking at all times, especially with cars being connected to the Internet, which opens them to remote attacks.

The consequences of attacks on vehicles, however, could be much greater than those on computers or servers, McAfee notes in a blog post. People could get hurt or killed, showing the urgent need for increasing the protection against cyber-attacks in vehicles.

As an InfoSec student, I can see that this initiative is a positive action, aside from joking about being Intel to take the lead. This will further help make cars safer with a proper audit on car systems more proactively, aside being many car systems *cough*Toyota*cough* being bad in software itself, this will strengthen the more online features of the cars themselves.

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.

-snip-

I agree, this might be the kind of brute-force action needed to force the automotive industry to move a little faster when it comes to the technology security it implements in its cars. That said, the Car companies we're talking about here are large and dominant in the market. Without any financial incentive to do so, it's hard to see them changing their ways in a big enough way to make a difference any time soon. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Yeah Intel! RIP stupid automotive manufactures that don't understand technology...

Wow, another thing that should be government-controlled being privatized in the US.  :rolleyes:

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Wow, another thing that should be government-controlled being privatized in the US.  :rolleyes:

For now it's a better step, the government did have a reaction process for when car companies have bad software after the fact that people died. Board won't be exactly private as it will allow other companies to join together to make a decision, hopefully actual security companies jump onto the board and not the car companies.

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.

Oh god, I can already hear the automotive manufacturers bitching.

Wow, another thing that should be government-controlled being privatized in the US.   :rolleyes:

You've never interacted with US government employees have you?

You will never find a more wretched hive of bureaucracy and incompetence.

13015d1375735577-gun-law-changes-governm

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I agree, this might be the kind of brute-force action needed to force the automotive industry to move a little faster when it comes to the technology security it implements in its cars. That said, the Car companies we're talking about here are large and dominant in the market. Without any financial incentive to do so, it's hard to see them changing their ways in a big enough way to make a difference any time soon. 

While I agree that the car companies are too big to care for the most part, there is actually genuine and healthy competition in the automotive market.  All it will take is 1 major company to have a huge attack, and the others will suddenly actually care.  Or 1 company actually caring beforehand and marketing appropriately with the public reacting positively to that, and others will start to follow.  You don't want to be the car company without safety features in the future do you?  Either way, it will take a huge negative incident, or a successful positive marketing campaign and everyone will follow.