Skyrim flickering during gameplay

Virtual01

I just reinstalled Skyrim for gigs, and upon starting it up I immediately noticed the game flickering randomly every few seconds. The game will display a few grey frames when this happens, and my characters hands appear to be doing half of an animation. Has anyone else encountered this? I have no idea what's causing it or how to fix it.

I just reinstalled Skyrim for gigs, and upon starting it up I immediately noticed the game flickering randomly every few seconds. The game will display a few grey frames when this happens, and my characters hands appear to be doing half of an animation. Has anyone else encountered this? I have no idea what's causing it or how to fix it.

I take it you have never had this problem before on Skyrim?

Has your system changed since you last played it?

What are your specs and OS?

I take it you have never had this problem before on Skyrim?

Has your system changed since you last played it?

What are your specs and OS?

First time encountering this. The last time I played it was on my laptop, since then I have built a new system.

Windows 10, 980ti, 4790k, 16GB RAM.

First time encountering this. The last time I played it was on my laptop, since then I have built a new system.

Windows 10, 980ti, 4790k, 16GB RAM.

It might be a Windows 10 problem. Your components are excellent so its probably not hardware related.

Have a look on the Skyrim forums to see if others have this problem. Also try playing in windowed mode to see if you have the problem there

Best thing to do is reinstalling it again, i will have to see the flickering to know if its the game of the driver.

That is also a good idea to check if you use the latest video card drivers.

Don't you just love tech?

It might be a Windows 10 problem. Your components are excellent so its probably not hardware related.

Have a look on the Skyrim forums to see if others have this problem. Also try playing in windowed mode to see if you have the problem there

Might be. I have no problems and I play on W10 though.

OP, do you have a 144Hz refresh rate monitor? Or anything above 60Hz for that matter?

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Might be. I have no problems and I play on W10 though.

OP, do you have a 144Hz refresh rate monitor? Or anything above 60Hz for that matter?

The game hates 144hz, I have a 27" 144hz Benq and Skyrim does exactly the same thing.

If you drop the refresh rate down to 120hz (honestly you won't notice a difference) the flickering will stop and the game will run fine.

The game hates 144hz, I have a 27" 144hz Benq and Skyrim does exactly the same thing.

If you drop the refresh rate down to 120hz (honestly you won't notice a difference) the flickering will stop and the game will run fine.

Yeah same problem I was asking about. I just limit the fps through MSI Afterburner to 60 and it stops the flickering and microstuttering I get.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

It's also worth mentioning this mod.  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40706/?

It fixes a lot of micro stutter and graphical bugs related to frame rate.  It's the newer version of the border less window mod which is now defunct.  Give it a shot. 

Whorax's suggestion for Afterburner works for some people, didn't for me unfortunately.  

Moved to PC Gaming. Please post in the proper sub-forum next time.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yeah I have a 144hz monitor. I'll try lowering the refresh rate.

I use an fps limiter mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34/?) which I set to 59 fps max, and that fixed the problem you described for me. I also use a 144hz monitor.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

I use an fps limiter mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34/?) which I set to 59 fps max, and that fixed the problem you described for me. I also use a 144hz monitor.

That works to, I just set the refresh rate in the nvidia control panel for Skyrim, so everytime you start the game it will drop the monitor to 120hz (which doesn't cause flicker).

It's the Preferred refresh rate setting.