Building an entry level pc for a friend with some second-hand parts

SlaktRein

Hey guys, I’m looking at building a low-budget gaming and image/video editing rig for a friend. I already have a graphics card, an msi gtx 650 ti boost, that he can use until mid-December when he turns 18, and will get a considerable amount of money from his parents. After that, he will buy a 960 or 970. I would personally wait until I had that money and get a better pc, but he wants to save most of it for driving lessons and adult stuff like that.

Therefore, the budget is at about 5500 kroner (about 660 dollars). He mainly plays csgo and kerbal space program, but wants to play battlefield 4 and star wars battlefront when that comes out. He’s okay with medium quality as long as he can run it. He also does some video and photo editing, so that’s why I’m thinking he needs at least a quad-core cpu.

I’m thinking on getting the case, psu and maybe ram second-hand, I’m pretty sure I can get all three for less than 1250 kroner (about 150 dollars). Other than that, I’m thinking about these parts:  Motherboard: Asus z97-p socket-1150, CPU: Intel Core i5-4460, HDD: WD desktop blue 500GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB and Cpu cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

I’m still a little over-budget, but I should be able to get at least a couple of the parts a little cheaper, and I will most likely get a used hard-drive too. Other than that, I would be interested in advice and recommendations for other/cheaper parts. This is only my 4th build but I have been upgrading my personal system 3-4 times, so I have enough experience, but I am by no means an expert, so yeah, advice and stuff is welcomed. 

you can lose the 212 evo to shave a few bucks off.

agreed non K cards don't really get hot enough for you to be worried

NOK? SEK?

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

Don't get a used hdd and psu, you don't want to risk your build just to save a few bucks (psu) and you don't know what was on that hdd, even after formatting...

NOK? SEK?

I live in norway so its NOK.

and don't get a v300 ssd

Why not?

you can lose the 212 evo to shave a few bucks off.

I know that he doesnt need that cpu cooler yet, but hes told me he may be interested in light overclocking in the future. Thats why ive added it.

Don't get a used hdd and psu, you don't want to risk your build just to save a few bucks (psu) and you don't know what was on that hdd, even after formatting...

I know someone who might be selling a 500w corsair powersupply for 400 kroner, if thats the case then im definetly going for that one. And the hdd im not too scared of getting a used one, is there a reason to be scared? 

I live in norway so its NOK.

Why not?

I know that he doesnt need that cpu cooler yet, but hes told me he may be interested in light overclocking in the future. Thats why ive added it.

I know someone who might be selling a 500w corsair powersupply for 400 kroner, if thats the case then im definetly going for that one. And the hdd im not too scared of getting a used one, is there a reason to be scared? 

Fint og se noen andre i Norge :D

the v300 ssd is bad in general and has terrible speed per price, check out crucial or samsung ssd's

The i5-4460 doent support overclocking on K cpu's does

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

Fint og se noen andre i Norge :D

the v300 ssd is bad in general and has terrible speed per price, check out crucial or samsung ssd's

The i5-4460 doent support overclocking on K cpu's does

Ok, if thats the case then i think i will choose the Corsair SSD Force Series LS 120GB 2.5" any thoughts on that?

I forgot about the non-overclocking part, i guess ill be leaving out the cpu cooler then.

Ok, if thats the case then i think i will choose the Corsair SSD Force Series LS 120GB 2.5" any thoughts on that?

I forgot about the non-overclocking part, i guess ill be leaving out the cpu cooler then.

i would rather get samsung or crucial ssd

i would rather get samsung or crucial ssd

Is there a particular reason for that? They dont seem to be any faster, atleast from what i can see on the product page on komplett.no. The crucial ones look like its worse than the corsair one, and the samsung one is a tiny bit more expensive.

Is there a particular reason for that? They dont seem to be any faster, atleast from what i can see on the product page on komplett.no. The crucial ones look like its worse than the corsair one, and the samsung one is a tiny bit more expensive.

its mostly because of the quality

You can also get a H97 mobo instead of Z97 since you won't be overclocking.

I still think its worth getting a z97 for upgradability.