CPU Temps too high? 75°C with i5 4670, Noctua NH-U9B. New Cooler?

blu37hund3r
Go to solution Solved by blu37hund3r,

Oh well, i found the mistake. That's so stupid :lol:

Seems like last time i mounted the CPU cooler, i attached one fan in the wrong direction, so they blowed against each other.

I now attached the rear case fan outside the inner case, so there's more room between it and the CPU fan.

Temps are now about 7°C lower under load. I think that is satisfying.

I just finished my new itx gaming-rig with In-Wins 901 Case, but i think my CPU temps are quite high.

I've got an i5 4670 and a Noctua NH-U9B Cooler with 2x Pure Wings 2.

The Case has 1x 120mm intake and 1x 92mm plus Power Supply and GPU exhaust.

CPU:

Idle: 35-40°C

Load: up to 75°C

Battlefield 4: ~65°C

GPU:

Idle: 35-40°C

Load: 70-75°C

For the GPU with its Reference-Cooler the temps are ok, but CPU is definitively too hot.

I will try to remove the 92mm case exhaust or the second CPU fan, because they are very close, maybe they interfere with each other, but i don't have that much time right now.

I've already tried to renew thermal compound, but no change.

So for now, what do you think about my situation, should i look for a new CPU cooler?

There's not much room in there, max height is 130mm, i don't think a 120mm fan will fit, because of RAM and VRM.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 MB: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB/1TB PSU: Corsair CS550M

Well, you've just finished an mITX build that naturally provides bad airflow. Temperatures in that range are actually normal and totally fine. If your peak is really at 75 I don't think that you need to worry about your temperatures.

(I guess you're used to bigger cases with better airflow?)

If you really want better temperatures and a new cooler have a look at the Alpenföhn Atlas. It's a Twin Tower Cooler with 92mm fans designed for ITX motherboards with a 200W TDP. I don't think you're going to get anything cooler than that. http://www.alpenfoehn.de/index.php/de/cpu-kuehler/atlas

This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons. 

The case has shitty airflow. Getting a new cpu cooler won't do much at all. Have you tried remounting it just in case? 75c is warm but not hot enough to be worried about. 

So you've got one fan not counting the GPU, PSU, and CPU cooler? Switch the spare one to exhaust. Buy two fans and make,it,intake and make the two,fans you bought exhaust. Always want more exhaust then intake. I suggest cougar vortex fans.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Well, you've just finished an mITX build that naturally provides bad airflow. Temperatures in that range are actually normal and totally fine. If your peak is really at 75 I don't think that you need to worry about your temperatures.

(I guess you're used to bigger cases with better airflow?)

If you really want better temperatures and a new cooler have a look at the Alpenföhn Atlas. It's a Twin Tower Cooler with 92mm fans designed for ITX motherboards with a 200W TDP. I don't think you're going to get anything cooler than that. http://www.alpenfoehn.de/index.php/de/cpu-kuehler/atlas

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yes, I had bigger cases before, so that bad airflow is new to me, but i thought 75°C is high though.

Had this peak with the stock cooler in a bigger case, i didn't think  that makes such a huge difference.

The case has shitty airflow. Getting a new cpu cooler won't do much at all. Have you tried remounting it just in case? 75c is warm but not hot enough to be worried about. 

Ok thanks, like i said, had no time for remounting yet, but i will try.

So you've got one fan not counting the GPU, PSU, and CPU cooler? Switch the spare one to exhaust. Buy two fans and make,it,intake and make the two,fans you bought exhaust. Always want more exhaust then intake. I suggest cougar vortex fans.

The case only has 1 120mm in and 1 92mm out, no additional options.

I thought more intake than exhaust was better because of dust not getting in somewhere without dust filter.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 MB: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB/1TB PSU: Corsair CS550M

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yes, I had bigger cases before, so that bad airflow is new to me, but i thought 75°C is high though.

Had this peak with the stock cooler in a bigger case, i didn't think  that makes such a huge difference.

Ok thanks, like i said, had no time for remounting yet, but i will try.

The case only has 1 120mm in and 1 92mm out, no additional options.

I thought more intake than exhaust was better because of dust not getting in somewhere without dust filter.

Positive air pressure. More exhaust then intake

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

But positive air pressure requires more intake doesn't it?

In this case I have more exhaust, cause there are no other options anyway.

So 120mm intake, and 92mm (case), 120mm (PSU) and GPU exhaust.

I could try to make the rear 92mm case fan an intake, but this would produce strange airflow :D

But who knows, maybe it will work.

I've attached a picture of my current airflow. It's not mine but very similar, except for the missing second cpu fan.

llj8u4ncgsib.jpg

Oh well, i found the mistake. That's so stupid :lol:

Seems like last time i mounted the CPU cooler, i attached one fan in the wrong direction, so they blowed against each other.

I now attached the rear case fan outside the inner case, so there's more room between it and the CPU fan.

Temps are now about 7°C lower under load. I think that is satisfying.