Build advice

Vegetable

So before I start, I'm going to go ahead and say (EDIT- this is a long ass post but please bare with me here) I truly am open to anything right now. The money will be after summer 2016 so there is a lot of time to think on this. I am trying my best to stay Fermi (Fermi is love, I have a deep attachment to Fermi, don't argue with me please) as long as possible, but if I have to I can/will go beyond the aging architecture. Also go ahead and open another tab and keep my specs ready (view my profile), because I will reference them a few times and you will be lost without them.

Ok, now on to the important parts. I'm going to have anywhere from 1600-2000 usd after next summer (got a job yay!) I'm for sure going to be doing things to my rig and these will BE complete overhauls most likely. If you've done as I asked and looked, you'll see I'm running a 4460 on a ballsack board. It's not bad, its just not good. I want more cores for video related work (small yt channel going atm and it takes ages to encode) and I want overclocking. I'm not going AIO because you get what you pay for, and I'd rather not have a noisy inefficient cooler. So for a cooler, I'm going NHD14 (it fits in my case, a NHD15 doesn't.) This also means I will be keeping my S340. I love it and don't see a point in upgrading. Now on to the debatable parts. The CPU is going to be a tough choice. Right now, Skylake is king. It's the fastest, and best overclocker out. However, I DO NOT feel like dropping $350 for a CPU and then another $150 for a board and then another $150 for RAM. That's $650 right there. I could grab a 4790k and a z97, but they are still pricey, but I would be able to keep my RAM. So my idea is, a used 3770k or even a 2600k and a z77. $400 could get me a nice CPU and a VERY nice z77. Yes, a 2600k is old, but it is still faster than a 4460 if overclocked and for non gaming intensive workloads that favor more cores, it absolutely smashes because of the hyperthreading. Also, sandy bridge is well known for overclocking like a monster, so that's just a bonus. I don't really know much about the 3770k honestly. No clue how it overclocks or anything. Some info there would be spectacular. On to GPU, (I'm going to get so much SHIT for this it's not even funny) my dream is tri-SLI EVGA GTX 580 Classified 3gb editions, however they still go for $250 so that's a no-no, not to mention the MASSIVE TDP of three Classifieds. So, I could pick up another 570 2.5gb and call it a day. This is by far the cheapest method as I'm halfway there. All I need is a PSU for this and it's done. I could also try and pick up a 690 (sexiest graphics card ever made) or even a used 780 ti (or 2.) I could swallow my goals in life and just grab a then marked-down Maxwell or even just wait until Pascal. Let's examine the pro's and cons of each of these options.

- 580 Classy Tri-SLI -

Pros: All the VRAM I'd need, and all the horsepower needed to use 3gb of VRAM, and overclocks for days (not as much as a single card due to heat but still very noice m8)

Cons: Heat, power consumption (probably 600w just for cards), noise (I don't mind a loud gpu, but I will get shit on if I don't mention this), x79/x99 required for PCIe lanes, and amounts of cables that would look completely retarded in an S340.

- 570 2.5gb SLI -

Pros: Plenty of VRAM, plenty of power for 1080p, and already halfway there on this one.

Cons: One card is noisy so I'd imagine two would be even worse, kinda hot due to non-reference cooler just tossing air around and not exhausting, and high TDP.

- GTX 690 -

Pros: Powerful for 1080p

Cons: Power hungry, noisy from what I can gather, only 2gb VRAM (dx11) which WILL cause it to choke on certain games, price.

- 780 ti non-SLI -

Pros: Almost too powerful for 1080p, tons of VRAM, fast overall, overclocking dream.

Cons: Not SLI (I have the SLI fever I can't help it), and price.

- 780 ti SLI -

Pros: Complete absolute not needed overkill for 1080p, still 3gb VRAM (which is plenty (dx11)), still overclocking heaven.

Cons: Power consumption, heat (from what I can gather), noise, extreme price.

- Maxwell (very general, anything from a 970 to a 980 ti or maybe the successor to the 900 series)

Pros: Power consumption (and subsequently heat as well), overclocking, plenty of VRAM across the board, and all the performance you could want for 1080p.

Cons: Price, not SLI (it's stupid I understand but I'm down with the sickness)

- Pascal -

Pros: By far the fastest of all mentioned, supposedly power consumption and overclocking (but that literally is what every generation is supposed to do)

Cons: EXTREME PRICE, waiting, nothing confirmed (hell it could be pushed back for all we know)

I'll leave that there, take what you want from it and if anything's wrong please quote so I can correct. The last component we have to address is the one I have little knowledge of. I know which brands, 80 plus system (and when it does/doesn't mean anything other than a selling point), and the difference between continuous and peak wattage's, and that's it really. I couldn't tell you which are the best for longevity, the quietest, or anything about different components within the PSU. Seeing as I'm using the S340, looks of the PSU itself are of no concern, no LED's though. I would prefer if the wires were all black, and it be modular. So maybe something from EVGA would be my best bet? This all depends on the GPU choice though, because the highest TDP GPU choice would be 780 ti SLI, closely followed by 570 2.5gb SLI. I would say 850w would be plenty for anything I've said though, but I'd love input on this part especially. That's all for now, please don't hate on my Fermi retardation disease or SLI fever, I've yet to find a cure :/

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

VRAM doesn't stack in SLI m9

never said it did

figured this would be said somewhere in here

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

WHERE IS THE TL:DR

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Sensible option: 970 Sli - 980TI?

If you love fermi so much. you could go for a single 970/780ti and maybe buy yourself a 580 or 590 for all your hearts desires :3 or when you feel like having a fermi blast. 

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Sensible option: 970 Sli - 980TI?

If you love fermi so much. you could go for a single 970/780ti and maybe buy yourself a 580 or 590 for all your hearts desires :3 or when you feel like having a fermi blast. 

590 is just not a good sounding idea on paper to me. with dx11 it only has 1.5gb vram and its noticeably slower than 580 sli

590 is just not a good sounding idea on paper to me. with dx11 it only has 1.5gb vram and its noticeably slower than 580 sli

OH balls you are the OP

editing. and then going to bed after

EDIT: i'd maybe just go with a 970 then whatever you got spare, just maybe grab a 580 for that fermi experience? :) whenever you feel like it

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD