Sapphire 7950 Boost - 1 Fan Working?

cliodude1

Hi,

I have a Sapphire 7950 Boost (http://img.videocardz.com/1/2013/02/Sapphire-HD-7950-Boost-3GB-3-1200x870.jpg) that is nearly two years old, and I now notice that the left fan (near the ports) is not spinning. It only starts spinning when the fans are set above 90%. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what is the problem? I don't know how to lubricate it nor have the materials to, so would sending it back to the seller to get it sorted out be the best option? Thanks :(

CoolerMaster Storm Scout 2 Black - Intel Core i5-4570 - CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo - Sapphire Radeon HD7950 - Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB - ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance - Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD - Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB - Seasonic G-550 - BenQ GW2255 21.5" LED Monitor

2016 MacBook Pro 13" - Google Pixel

Only one fan is spinning while gaming and such?

Just tag @ChatDaw so I can answer as fast as possible.

Only one fan is spinning while gaming and such?

Yep that's right, unless the auto-fan setting ramps the fans to at least 91%, it's only 1 fan spinning

CoolerMaster Storm Scout 2 Black - Intel Core i5-4570 - CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo - Sapphire Radeon HD7950 - Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB - ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance - Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD - Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB - Seasonic G-550 - BenQ GW2255 21.5" LED Monitor

Yep that's right, unless the auto-fan setting ramps the fans to at least 91%, it's only 1 fan spinning

That's weird. I mean, the fan looks to be functionnal according to you but only above 90% fan load... I thought that would be some kind of low Db mode but seems like it isn't.

To be honest, I would try to RMA it if it's still covered.

Just tag @ChatDaw so I can answer as fast as possible.

That's weird. I mean, the fan looks to be functionnal according to you but only above 90% fan load... I thought that would be some kind of low Db mode but seems like it isn't.

To be honest, I would try to RMA it if it's still covered.

If you can get a repair get one. It should be enough to have one working fan. You can always ziptie anouther fan on, or buy a fan like that one online https://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/c15/s1269/list/p1/Fans-12_Volt_Fans-VGA_Replacement_Fans-Page1.html

^^ one of these might work.

Yeah I bought it September 2013, so it's 1 month away from the warranty ending. I'll probably RMA it next week.

uhm, i got two of those cards, neither of mine ever behaved like that. I would probably be a bit careful if i were you. You should seriously contact sapphire and ask their customer support if this is normal.

it MAY be normal with Quiet mode set on the dual bios. Have you tried to switch it between "uber" and "quiet" ????

Best way is just to run a load test and observe the temperature reading.

Set it to AUTO mode and you should see the GPU maintain acceptable temperature levels with 2 fans spinning.

Use the manual control to test both fans to ensure they're working, I use Sapphire TRIXX.