Moving out of the stone age ! Any tips?

Hey forum!

SO..after about 7 years with my yorkfield q9550 rig i have decided that it is time to move on in life.

Yes it is new build time! This build is more a WANT then a NEED and by that i mean the components i select will not necessarily be what i need for my daily usage but what i WANT in my rig. I will not be going balls to te walls tho..i have a budget 2500$ - 3000$  less would be nice! Also im not gamer nor am i a power user I just WANT a Kickass pc. I will do some light overclocking. Also i am not in a hurry to upgrade so waiting for better is an option.

That being said i will be going X99, @5930k i want those lanes, paired to an asus x99-Deluxe, I will go with a 980 Ti single card (gigabyte G1, Gotta love that i/o, cooler is cool), corsair lpx ram 16gb, Enthoo luxe case. No custom watercooling loop for me going pre filled H100i. Knowing i use a rig 5-7 years it is safe to say i will go SLI on a new  architecture in 2-3 years(when more funds are available). so why all those lanes ? PCIe storage! NVMe ofcourse, thats why. And with storage my headache starts, all current boards support M.2 and sata express albeit only one M.2 conection and two sata express ports. What im very curious about is what direction the high end storage is heading too because in 3-4 years i will still be using the same Asus x99 board and i dont want to be bottlenecked by the available inputs i.e my sata express ports (i know i also need the bandwith) but just very curious here: what will be the industry standard connection for high speed storage? Any guesses?

So the main question here is do go X99 now with little to no knowledge about the future of storage options or wait for skylake and the sort to see how the industry develops high speed storage!

Also usb type 3.1/c is it worth buying a board that doesnt have a single c-type input port? Do you guys think the C type connection will be a must have for future devices?

I know im asking you to predict the future but im just curious to know what the community thinks about the future  of storage AND ofcourse if my build is sensible or not :P

Build overview

cpu : intel 5930k

cpu cooler : corsair h100i

mobo: asus x99 deluxe

Ram: corsair lpx 16 gb

graphics : gigabyte 980 Ti

Storage : Boot drive something with the NVMe protocol with a PCIe bus connection (GEN 3 X4 32 Gb/S)

Mass storage : Mechanical drive wd 4TB

psu : corsair 850i

Also i know nvme drives will be expensive i got some reserve cash for that!

So what do you guys think is it a sensible build or not?

ALSO im new here so i have no idea if this post is appropriate or not, if i am in the wrong my apologies!

Thanks!

this is a jump

first go to iron age.

What he said. Just upgrade a little at a time. More fun that way. So like basic I7, 1 tb, ssd, 16 gb ram, 390x, etc. Then when new better stuff comes out, use the money saved to get said stuff. Also you can spend it on Doritos and mountain dew.

Hey forum!

SO..after about 7 years with my yorkfield q9550 rig i have decided that it is time to move on in life.

Yes it is new build time! This build is more a WANT then a NEED and by that i mean the components i select will not necessarily be what i need for my daily usage but what i WANT in my rig. I will not be going balls to te walls tho..i have a budget 2500$ - 3000$  less would be nice! Also im not gamer nor am i a power user I just WANT a Kickass pc. I will do some light overclocking. Also i am not in a hurry to upgrade so waiting for better is an option.

That being said i will be going X99, @5930k i want those lanes, paired to an asus x99-Deluxe, I will go with a 980 Ti single card (gigabyte G1, Gotta love that i/o, cooler is cool), corsair lpx ram 16gb, Enthoo luxe case. No custom watercooling loop for me going pre filled H100i. Knowing i use a rig 5-7 years it is safe to say i will go SLI on a new  architecture in 2-3 years(when more funds are available). so why all those lanes ? PCIe storage! NVMe ofcourse, thats why. And with storage my headache starts, all current boards support M.2 and sata express albeit only one M.2 conection and two sata express ports. What im very curious about is what direction the high end storage is heading too because in 3-4 years i will still be using the same Asus x99 board and i dont want to be bottlenecked by the available inputs i.e my sata express ports (i know i also need the bandwith) but just very curious here: what will be the industry standard connection for high speed storage? Any guesses?

So the main question here is do go X99 now with little to no knowledge about the future of storage options or wait for skylake and the sort to see how the industry develops high speed storage!

Also usb type 3.1/c is it worth buying a board that doesnt have a single c-type input port? Do you guys think the C type connection will be a must have for future devices?

I know im asking you to predict the future but im just curious to know what the community thinks about the future  of storage AND ofcourse if my build is sensible or not :P

Build overview

Storage : Boot drive something with the NVMe protocol with a PCIe bus connection (GEN 3 X4 32 Gb/S)

ALSO im new here so i have no idea if this post is appropriate or not, if i am in the wrong my apologies!

Thanks!

Can I have your old computer?

This is more of a a caveman becoming bill gates... Don't use the 5930k, the 5820k is basically the same but can't do 4-way SLI ( which shown in the previous Linus video isn't good )

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

What he said. Just upgrade a little at a time. More fun that way. So like basic I7, 1 tb, ssd, 16 gb ram, 390x, etc. Then when new better stuff comes out, use the money saved to get said stuff. Also you can spend it on Doritos and mountain dew.

Can I have your old computer?

Lol wel i kinda figured some would say take baby steps, im the kinda guy that like to jump big! Appreciate the feedback ! Well unless i get a new rig..my old pc stays! We can talk aftr the upgrade :P

Hey forum!

Build overview

Thanks!

Good. I would say usb type c is a must at this point. If you have an option to get it for not too much more I would do so. Overkill yeah? 5820k would be better for the $$#$$

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Lol wel i kinda figured some would say take baby steps, im the kinda guy that like to jump big! Appreciate the feedback ! Well unless i get a new rig..my old pc stays! We can talk aftr the upgrade :P

K, as long as I get your old computer. My pc would be considered the damn dawn of time.

This is more of a a caveman becoming bill gates... Don't use the 5930k, the 5820k is basically the same but can't do 4-way SLI ( which shown in the previous Linus video isn't good )

Yes i thought about that, the reason i want 40 lanes is PCIe express storage, if i am running a 5820k in sli that gives me 28 lane which run 16x-8x and 4X if i want a second PCIe drive in the future i will be stuck with low bandwith! :(

K, as long as I get your old computer. My pc would be considered the damn dawn of time.

As long as it runs minesweeper it is a champion in mmy books!

Good. I would say usb type c is a must at this point. If you have an option to get it for not too much more I would do so. Overkill yeah? 5820k would be better for the $$#$$

Yeah , any info or leaks concerning usb c motherboards with the c type connection ofcourse!

As long as it runs minesweeper it is a champion in mmy books!

You'll have to mark it off then. No other web browser will run on it except windows.

You'll have to mark it off then. No other web browser will run on it except windows.b

Bummer i had high hopes!

i dislike when op's post such long messages. get to the point. budget? ok, here's your build.

BigDay