Windows 10 Upgrade or Fresh Install?

Yayap7

Hey there, 

I'm going to upgrade to Win 10.  Just sure when I will though, trying to stave it off for as many days as I can but in truth it will probably be in the next few. 

I'm debating whether I should just do an OS Upgrade/Transfer when I do or a full HDD wipe and start over..

I have a 500GB Samsung SSD that is for OS and a few other things and then a 1TB HDD that is for everything else.  Would it be possible to back up directly to the internal 1TB HDD?  I dont have any other hard drives I could back up to at the moment.  Or I could just copy everything I really want to keep over to the storage drive and then wipe the SSD when installing 10.

Realistically there probably is no reason for me to go through that trouble to reformat the drive and do a clean install of 10.  

If there would be installing or driver issues they would probably happen whether or not I did just do the regular OS upgrade, right?

What do you think?  Is it worth it to do a clean install when upgrading to 10 or should I just do the regular upgrade?  

Any particular pros and cons for either?  

--Desktop--                                                                 

Vanya                                                              

MSI B550M Pro-VDH WIFI

AMD Ryzen 5600X

Radeon RX 6600TX

G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR4 3600Mhz  16 x 2

do a fresh install but back up the stuff youy want on a flash drive or external. Some crap you dont need can effect performance.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Fresh install.

Remember that to get free Windows 10 you first need to upgrade, then you can clean install booting in the .ISO.

do a fresh install but back up the stuff youy want on a flash drive or external. Some crap you dont need can effect performance.

How is Win 10 overall?  Is the performance gain from 7 to 10 noticeable?  

Any security issues or annoying things to disable out of the gate?

--Desktop--                                                                 

Vanya                                                              

MSI B550M Pro-VDH WIFI

AMD Ryzen 5600X

Radeon RX 6600TX

Are you running Windows 8.1 or 7? If your running Windows 8.1 (and haven't modded the crap out of it) the upgrade should go smoothly with no issues. Windows 10 is very similar to 8.1 it's almost like upgrading your service pack. Windows 7? I'd back up your data and try to upgrade. Too many people have had issues upgrading from 7. Everything from not even getting the upgrade in the first place, to the upgrade failing entirely. And if they do upgrade "successfully" there could still be many issues. So if things don't turn out well for you if you do try to upgrade from 7, you should do a fresh install of 10 using the Media Creation tool provided by Microsoft here.

Yeah I'm going from 7 to 10.   Oddly enough, earlier this year I tried to upgrade from 7 to 8.1 and the install failed 5 times straight -just froze, and I went back to Win 7 and returned 8.1..

And yeah I had a feeling I would have to use a Win 10 ISO/Boot drive copy for a fresh install. Good to know for sure.

--Desktop--                                                                 

Vanya                                                              

MSI B550M Pro-VDH WIFI

AMD Ryzen 5600X

Radeon RX 6600TX

How is Win 10 overall?  Is the performance gain from 7 to 10 noticeable?  

Any security issues or annoying things to disable out of the gate?

hell yeah! I am still trying to figure out cloning tho.. But on my HDD the boot time was like 2-3 minutes but now its just 1 min 30

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

i havent seen any performance increase from 8.1 to 10, infact some things will not install on win 10, says i havent got enough permission yet i have admin rights.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Alright, thanks for the info!

I will try to upgrade with a fresh install and make a boot install drive.

--Desktop--                                                                 

Vanya                                                              

MSI B550M Pro-VDH WIFI

AMD Ryzen 5600X

Radeon RX 6600TX