4790k Extremely High Temperature! Help Needed! (NZXT Kraken X61, Stock Cooler)

Hello everyone.

Today I built my first PC: (Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/DeadEyeKozi/saved/P4YYcf)

When I first booted up, I had my NZXT Kraken X61 Installed with all the drivers installed as well. I opened the CAM Software and at Idle I was getting 75-99 Degrees Celsius. I then took the cooler off my CPU and saw that the thermal paste was not spread out properly. I looked up the avg temperatures for the 4790k at Idle with this cooler and it was around 30 degrees celsius.

I then personally thought that the way the thermal paste was spread could not create a 60 degree difference in temps so I wiped off the thermal paste and installed the stock cooler. Currently at idle, on the stock cooler, on Core Temp I am getting 45-65 degrees Celsius. However, on CPU-Z it says my core speed is 1.29ghz. I looked at other peoples results for stock cooling and I saw that they were getting around 40 degrees Celsius idle, but i'm not sure if CPU-Z said 4ghz

So I believe that my CPU is thermal throttling, but I do not know what the cause is or how to fix it. Sorry if I haven't provided enough information, If anyone thinks they can help but need additional info, just ask me and Ill add it. I am really worried that these temps will ruin the lifespan of my CPU and as it cost $2800 AUD, it was a big investment. All the parts have warranty but I need to confirm what the problem is before I RMA anything.

Once again, this was my first build so I do not know that much about problems like these but I can say that all the components are working correctly. Also, the system appears to be working fine, haven't run a stress test or game on it yet though.

Anyway, all help is appreciated. Thanks

Spoiler

CPU: I7-4790k CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z97X-Gaming 3 

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866 16GB, (2x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte Geforce G1 Gaming 980Ti 

Case: NZXT Noctis 450 (Black/Red) Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracude 7200RPM 3TB 

PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold

Hello everyone.

Today I built my first PC: (Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/DeadEyeKozi/saved/P4YYcf)

When I first booted up, I had my NZXT Kraken X61 Installed with all the drivers installed as well. I opened the CAM Software and at Idle I was getting 75-99 Degrees Celsius. I then took the cooler off my CPU and saw that the thermal paste was not spread out properly. I looked up the avg temperatures for the 4790k at Idle with this cooler and it was around 30 degrees celsius.

I then personally thought that the way the thermal paste was spread could not create a 60 degree difference in temps so I wiped off the thermal paste and installed the stock cooler. Currently at idle, on the stock cooler, on Core Temp I am getting 45-65 degrees Celsius. However, on CPU-Z it says my core speed is 1.29ghz. I looked at other peoples results for stock cooling and I saw that they were getting around 40 degrees Celsius idle, but i'm not sure if CPU-Z said 4ghz

So I believe that my CPU is thermal throttling, but I do not know what the cause is or how to fix it. Sorry if I haven't provided enough information, If anyone thinks they can help but need additional info, just ask me and Ill add it. I am really worried that these temps will ruin the lifespan of my CPU and as it cost $2800 AUD, it was a big investment. All the parts have warranty but I need to confirm what the problem is before I RMA anything.

Once again, this was my first build so I do not know that much about problems like these but I can say that all the components are working correctly. Also, the system appears to be working fine, haven't run a stress test or game on it yet though.

Anyway, all help is appreciated. Thanks

Its not even near the throttling threshold. I think its what 90c? lmao

Its not even near the throttling threshold. I think its what 90c? lmao

The Kraken x61 had surpassed 90 degrees C, on the stock cooler at idle the temps are pretty high, but in CPU-Z , it says that each core is running at 1.29GHZ

Spoiler

CPU: I7-4790k CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z97X-Gaming 3 

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866 16GB, (2x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte Geforce G1 Gaming 980Ti 

Case: NZXT Noctis 450 (Black/Red) Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracude 7200RPM 3TB 

The Kraken x61 had surpassed 90 degrees C, on the stock cooler at idle the temps are pretty high, but in CPU-Z , it says that each core is running at 1.29GHZ

You incorrectly mounted the x61 or had little to no thermal paste.

Is that under load or idle?

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Is that under load or idle?

You incorrectly mounted the x61 or had little to no thermal paste.

I mounted it the same way Luke did in the "Ultimate Distributed PC Build Guide". It didn't look like there was a lot of thermal paste, but can that really cause temps that high?

Spoiler

I mounted it the same way Luke did in the "Ultimate Distributed PC Build Guide". It didn't look like there was a lot of thermal paste, but can that really cause temps that high?

You didn't get good pressure. Try again.

You didn't get good pressure. Try again.

Ok, well I'll need to purchase some thermal paste as I used the pre-applied one, but do you think that is the reason?

Spoiler

Ok, well I'll need to purchase some thermal paste as I used the pre-applied one, but do you think that is the reason?

Yeah, pretty much every super high temp irregularity with aios is because they were not mounted properly.

Yeah, pretty much every super high temp irregularity with aios is because they were not mounted properly.

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll get the paste and let you know how it's doing

Spoiler

Sounds like the plastic protector sheet is still on the cooler