Is My Build Good? What Should I Change Before I Buy?

Hi :) this is my first PC Build, and I'm pretty confident that it is a good one! but then again, I have never had any past experience with PCs so who am I to judge? SO, that is why I am calling out and seeking out your advice on any tips and improvements that can be made to my build! I plan on installing Windows 8.1 onto my SSD and then running everything else on my HDD ( yes 1TB is big enough for me!) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/CFerguson87/saved/#view=LDnqqs < this is a link to my build, please do come back and tell me what you think! :)

Edited by Glenwing
Removed caps lock from title

I would get a single stick of 8GB instead of two sticks to maximize upgradability. Do you actually plan on overclocking? I see no aftermarket cooler in your build.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hi :) this is my first PC Build, and I'm pretty confident that it is a good one! but then again, I have never had any past experience with PCs so who am I to judge? SO, that is why I am calling out and seeking out your advice on any tips and improvements that can be made to my build! I plan on installing Windows 8.1 onto my SSD and then running everything else on my HDD ( yes 1TB is big enough for me!) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/CFerguson87/saved/#view=LDnqqs < this is a link to my build, please do come back and tell me what you think! :)

Looks good but get a aftermarket cpu cooler and that psu isn't that great it will work fine but you should get a better one if you can.

I'd say drop to a i5 4460 and a good h97M board and get a 970. It will do better in gaming than the r9 380.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

For a build of this budget a better case and power supply would be recommended.

sold

I would get a single stick of 8GB instead of two sticks to maximize upgradability. Do you actually plan on overclocking? I see no aftermarket cooler in your build.

Nope, I don't plan on overclocking.

Then get the normal 4690 instead of the K version. You'll save about $10.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

That doesn't look too bad, although I would suggest getting a better psu. Also get the Red or black set of ram so that it matches your board/graphics card.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220gs0550v1

The Gigabyte Gaming 5 works out a bit cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128709&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

You will need an aftermarket cooler if you plan on overclocking the cpu.

Then get the normal 4690 instead of the K version. You'll save about $10.

Or even a i5 4460

Pascal laptops guide

In that case you could go with the cheapest i5 cpu and either a Z97 or H97 board depending on which is cheaper. 

I'd personally rather go with a 970 but maybe I'm biased. You said you're not overclocking so go with a 4460 and an H97 motherboard, it'll save you a lot of money which you could put towards a better GPU like the GTX 970! Get a better PSU as well, that one isn't the best... Something else from Corsairs higher end ones like the RM or maybe even HX series would be great.

Or even a i5 4460

That too.

If you don't want to overclock then get a unlocked CPU with a h97 board in exchange of a better graphic card and more storage

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Adorama)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($314.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($19.68 @ Amazon)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($20.49 @ OutletPC)

Total: $975.72

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-04 12:47 EDT-0400

Pascal laptops guide

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI B85M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.73 @ Amazon)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($56.37 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)

Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($28.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $979.74

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-04 12:48 EDT-0400

Can somebody tell me which I should get between the i5 4690 and the 4460, and why? the i5 4690 seems more appealing but then again I'm not sure which to get?

Can somebody tell me which I should get between the i5 4690 and the 4460, and why? the i5 4690 seems more appealing but then again I'm not sure which to get?

The 4690K is good if you want to overclock and have a overclocking motherboard.

The 4460 Is a great price and is the best choice if you dont want to overclock and save some cash.