Does my Samsung Galaxy S4 have any chances of surviving?

Cliff122
So yesterday I was going to the beach, and for some reason I had left my phone in my swimming trunks. When I dived into the water it fell out but luckily it wasn't very deep so I felt it with my feet and was able to bring it up. When I was walking towards my towel the front notification led was a constant red and the battery was hissing. I immediately took it out and wiped the visible water off. Then I let it dry in the sun for about 20 minutes before I started walking home, which gave it another 10 minutes to try. Back home I was dumb and desperate enough to put the battery back in, despite the short drying time. The notification led lit back up in red, but then started flickering and finally it went off completely. Still dumb and desperate I plugged the charger in and started watching some TV. After a few minutes the battery started hissing again, so I plugged it out again. I finally regained my sanity and put the phone in a bag of rice, where it has been over the night. I should also mention that it was salt water.

Do you think it still has a chance to survive, despite my utterly stupid attempts of reviving it. And what should the next step be?

Edit: I also bought a new original battery as I assume the battery was damaged by the water.

Wait for it to finish, check it, if it's broke get an LG G4.

So yesterday I was going to the beach, and for some reason I had left my phone in my swimming trunks. When I dived into the water it fell out but luckily it wasn't very deep so I felt it with my feet and was able to bring it up. When I was walking towards my towel the front notification led was a constant red and the battery was hissing. I immediately took it out and wiped the visible water off. Then I let it dry in the sun for about 20 minutes before I started walking home, which gave it another 10 minutes to try. Back home I was dumb and desperate enough to put the battery back in, despite the short drying time. The notification led lit back up in red, but then started flickering and finally it went off completely. Still dumb and desperate I plugged the charger in and started watching some TV. After a few minutes the battery started hissing again, so I plugged it out again. I finally regained my sanity and put the phone in a bag of rice, where it has been over the night. I should also mention that it was salt water.

Do you think it still has a chance to survive, despite my utterly stupid attempts of reviving it. And what should the next step be?

Edit: I also bought a new original battery as I assume the battery was damaged by the water.

DO NOT TURN IT ON! OR CHARGE

Take it apart and clean it with isopropyl alcohol.

Open it, completely dry it out and don't put the battery in... Then it has a chance of surviving...

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

Let it dry, pry it open, clean it, get a new battery and pray to the Ghetto Salvage gods that it still works

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Have you tried putting it in a bag of rice?

Yes, it has been there over night.

DO NOT TURN IT ON! OR CHARGE

Take it apart and clean it with isopropyl alcohol.

Open it, completely dry it out and don't put the battery in... Then it has a chance of surviving...

Unfortunately, I already did. :/

Let it dry, pry it open, clean it, get a new battery and pray to the Ghetto Salvage gods that it still works

With pry it open, do you mean more than just the back cover. Like removing screws and such, cause that sounds a bit scary. I already got a new battery that i will put in when i'm 100% sure no water is left.

Yes, it has been there over night.

Unfortunately, I already did. :/

With pry it open, do you mean more than just the back cover. Like removing screws and such, cause that sounds a bit scary.

Yes that's your only option to save it.

I'd say if something internally has shorted which caused the battery to short (and then you tried charging it) that it's goosed, pal.

Just take the battery out to secure the inside doesn't get any power... Maybe it will work...

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

"Salt water"

Uh, dude. Phones really hate salt water. They can survive freshwater if you take the battery and other stuff out and dry it in rice, but for saltwater, I'd say do the same.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1