Reference R9 290X overclock and CF Power consumption

Hi,

I am going to get the HIS reference 290X and also the Corsair HG10 GPU cooling bracket with an H60 (To be upgraded soon).

What kind of overclock can I expect to get from it and also how much power would two of these in CF consume?

Also, does it make sense to get the H60 or is it not powerful enough?

Thanks,

Jakob

[cnyrmb@TheBeast-Arch ~]$ java -jar print_footer.jar

Main Rig:

i7-4790K - Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 - EVGA 1070 FTW - 16GB HyperX Fury @ 1866 - 120GB 840 EVO -  1TB WD Blue - XFX XTR 750W (80+ Gold) - Arch Linux/Win10

What kind of overclock can I expect to get from it and also how much power would two of these in CF consume?

Overclocking? LOL That's the 290x my friend, there will be NO overclocking, unless you want to create a new star in your house. I would recommend watercooling just to keep it from melting. That AIO should be fine.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Each one overclocked with an AIO will probably use a bit over 300w at load. Together that would just be 600w. Because you will also have other components, you will want a pretty high end power supply, at least a 1000w if you want to be safe. The h60 would be good enough, as GPUs don't generate as much heat as CPUs.

Without an overclock a 290x can peak at almost 300w and I wouldn't even bother overclocking these very much, they generate way to much heat even with a AIO cooling it.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

Each one overclocked with an AIO will probably use a bit over 300w at load. Together that would just be 600w. Because you will also have other components, you will want a pretty high end power supply, at least a 1000w if you want to be safe. The h60 would be good enough, as GPUs don't generate as much heat as CPUs.

What overclock do you think I might get from the card when it is properly cooled?

Main Rig:

i7-4790K - Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 - EVGA 1070 FTW - 16GB HyperX Fury @ 1866 - 120GB 840 EVO -  1TB WD Blue - XFX XTR 750W (80+ Gold) - Arch Linux/Win10

What overclock do you think I might get from the card when it is properly cooled?

Probably not the much higher. Probably in the range of 10-20% higher. I would personally get 970s instead of the 290s, as they would be around as good and they would use way less power.

Probably not the much higher. Probably in the range of 10-20% higher. I would personally get 970s instead of the 290s, as they would be around as good and they would use way less power.

I prefer AMD because of the freedom of crossfire. I might think of adding a cheaper AMD card that is based on the same GPU. They are very cheap in China.

Main Rig:

I prefer AMD because of the freedom of crossfire. I might think of adding a cheaper AMD card that is based on the same GPU. They are very cheap in China.

There aren't any GPUs based on the same core as the 290 and 290x. You could get another lower GPU, but then the higher ones would be slower and would decrease overall performance. Freedom isn't always better; for example a Ferrari locked at 275mph is still better than an unlocked prius.

Hi,

I am going to get the HIS reference 290X and also the Corsair HG10 GPU cooling bracket with an H60 (To be upgraded soon).

Also, does it make sense to get the H60 or is it not powerful enough?

Thanks,

Jakob

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168268-r9-290-crossfire-total-system-power-consumption-ax860i-results-at-different-overclock-speeds-water-cooled/

Power consumption on 2x watercooled 290's (watercooled uses slightly less power than air FYI)

^Click this for graphs and LOTS more info.^

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

There aren't any GPUs based on the same core as the 290 and 290x. You could get another lower GPU, but then the higher ones would be slower and would decrease overall performance. Freedom isn't always better; for example a Ferrari locked at 275mph is still better than an unlocked prius.

Just going to mention that an 290x costs only around 1800 RMB (300USD), while an 970 costs more than 2500RMB (450USD)

Main Rig:

Reference design 290X and overclocking doesnt go well together mate.