Network/Internet Help~!

Ryou-kun

Hello LTT,

I am in need of your help. Please.

Yesterday, we got a heavy thunderstorm, and it was raining like cats and dogs outside.

While both my PC and my little bro PC were on, we heard a zap and fire alarm go off for few seconds then stop. Then all of sudden the Internet stop working.

Later, my dad told me that the modem doesn't work anymore, so we have to buy a new one.

It is Motorola Surfboard eXtreme that cost around $89 dollar.

We did bought a new modem and talked to our ISP, TimeWarnerCable, and we got our modem register. Then we connect it to the router and no Network connect to both my PC and my little bro PC.

Oddly, I decide to direct modem connect to my gaming laptop, Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 that wasn't on during the thunderstorm, and it connect without any problem. Then I tried my dad PC that also wasn't on during the thunderstorm, and it connect smoothly.

Finally, we tried direct modem connect to both my gaming PC and my little bro PC, and it had trouble trying to identify the network.

Right now, I have four theories about it.

1) Router is messed up.

2) Ethernet Cable that is both mine and my little bro were broken.

3) Both my PC and my little bro PC Ethernet port were damage and need an adapter.

4) All above.

Anyone can help me on this?

To see if its the router try plugging the modem directly into to computer. To see if its the ethernet cable try a different ethernet cable. 

1) Router is messed up.

3) Both my PC and my little bro PC Ethernet port were damage and need an adapter.

4) All above.

1.You say the router is brand new. I feel like it's way too rare to get a broken router. You can still try and go back to get a different one. If same outcome then let's continue

2.Try a new cable. This is a easy fix to just temporarily get a different cable and try it out

3.If the Ethernet port and the motherboard looks fine there shouldn't be a problem here. I'd need to know what you mean by having trouble connecting. Did it pick it up but have no internet? Did it not detect it at all?

4.You'd have a lot of problems man

That zap you heard could have tried to fry your computer but I'd think most power supplies protect against that. So the chances it fried or broke a single part of your computer is unlikely. It would have more side effects than just your Ethernet if that zapped fried something

that sucks :(

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

1.You say the router is brand new. I feel like it's way too rare to get a broken router. You can still try and go back to get a different one. If same outcome then let's continue

2.Try a new cable. This is a easy fix to just temporarily get a different cable and try it out

3.If the Ethernet port and the motherboard looks fine there shouldn't be a problem here. I'd need to know what you mean by having trouble connecting. Did it pick it up but have no internet? Did it not detect it at all?

4.You'd have a lot of problems man

That zap you heard could have tried to fry your computer but I'd think most power supplies protect against that. So the chances it fried or broke a single part of your computer is unlikely. It would have more side effects than just your Ethernet if that zapped fried something

1) I think you misunderstood between my Router and Modem. I bought a new modem, and it work fine.

The router, well, we had it for couple years, so we don't know.

2) But we did have a Power Surge, isn't it enough to protect my PC and router? Even though my modem old modem didn't have it, so it was RIP.

3) What I mean is that. I get this "identifying" yellow triangle on my Network Icon. Tried to go on Google and no luck.

I believe I may have narrow down. It is good chance that both my Ethernet port and my little brother PC Ethernet port was damage but our motherboard was fine. We might need to replace the Ethernet cables.

On top of that, buying a new router.

It was quite weird for us to have this horrible thunderstorm that has been on-going for these past couple of days plus still going.

By the way, what does it mean when the fire alarm was blinking red non-stopping.

Hello LTT,

I am in need of your help. Please.

Yesterday, we got a heavy thunderstorm, and it was raining like cats and dogs outside.

While both my PC and my little bro PC were on, we heard a zap and fire alarm go off for few seconds then stop. Then all of sudden the Internet stop working.

Later, my dad told me that the modem doesn't work anymore, so we have to buy a new one.

It is Motorola Surfboard eXtreme that cost around $89 dollar.

We did bought a new modem and talked to our ISP, TimeWarnerCable, and we got our modem register. Then we connect it to the router and no Network connect to both my PC and my little bro PC.

Oddly, I decide to direct modem connect to my gaming laptop, Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 that wasn't on during the thunderstorm, and it connect without any problem. Then I tried my dad PC that also wasn't on during the thunderstorm, and it connect smoothly.

Finally, we tried direct modem connect to both my gaming PC and my little bro PC, and it had trouble trying to identify the network.

Right now, I have four theories about it.

1) Router is messed up.

4) All above.

Anyone can help me on this?

About 6 months ago, I worked on a Church who got hit by lightning. Every single item connected to the ethernet network was toast, and every item was on a surge protector, other than 1 item.

More than likely, your router is damaged and your ethernet connections were also damaged. Unfortunately. 

One test, is connecting direct to modem with comouters to see if that works. If not... then probably at least computer ethernet. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

About 6 months ago, I worked on a Church who got hit by lightning. Every single item connected to the ethernet network was toast, and every item was on a surge protector, other than 1 item.

More than likely, your router is damaged and your ethernet connections were also damaged. Unfortunately. 

One test, is connecting direct to modem with comouters to see if that works. If not... then probably at least computer ethernet. 

Yeah, I tested it. Yep, probably both my ethernet and my little bro ethernet port was damage.

Tested it on two PC that wasn't on during the thunderstorm which is my gaming laptop and my dad's PC in the living room and it work without an issue.

I just hope it is ONLY my ethernet port was damage on both my PC and my little bro PC.

Yeah, I tested it. Yep, probably both my ethernet and my little bro ethernet port was damage.

Tested it on two PC that wasn't on during the thunderstorm which is my gaming laptop and my dad's PC in the living room and it work without an issue.

I just hope it is ONLY my ethernet port was damage on both my PC and my little bro PC.

In our case, I actually had to replace the CPU as well :(

But it was very obvious with immediate bluescreens and boot problems. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

2) But we did have a Power Surge, isn't it enough to protect my PC and router? Even though my modem old modem didn't have it, so it was RIP.

Power surge will protect you from spikes on the mains lines, if the phone line is hit a standard surge protector won't help, you can get protectors that take phone and lan connections to protect from this. Even if it was a mains spike that hit the modem it could have shorted down its data line to the router and your PC's 

If you're in a heavy storm area I'd suggest getting a couple of These