First Build In a Decade!

Hey guys,

It has been awhile before I built my last computer, almost exactly 10 years. I last built a relatively modest build for myself with my father before heading off to college. I had also built/help build a few for family members in the late 90s, early 2000s. Thanks to youtube and websites like this I have been mostly brought up to speed.

So here is the story. I'd like to build a PC for me and my wife. Right now I do very minimal gaming, however that is more because of lack of hardware than desire. I will likely play a few FPS's, but RPGs,city builders, and simulators are more my thing. Honestly, I haven't played a modern title on a computer in awhile (just consoles). Odds are this will be our main PC as well and my wife will likely use it for photoshop. Nothing too intensive, just editing of family photos,etc. Most of the time on this computer will be spent in a 'day trading' like setup, where I will be reading financial news and monitoring a variety of markets.

I don't really have a budget persay. I am fine paying for top quality stuff assuming that it will last awhile (my last PC lasted for about 9.5 years to give you an idea). My goal for this one is to spend some money up front end get something that will last for awhile (4-5 years down the road I give it to my wife and build a new one).

One thing that sparked the idea for building a new PC and not just running a laptop is a teksyndicate video on a beautiful 39 inch 4k display. I will likely start with one of those and potentially spread it out to two or three.

As for peripherals, I'll probably just use what I have, keyboard and mouse are ten years old but still run strong.

Here is what I have come up with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XsFsrH

What do you think? Is anything just stupid/not make sense? I get I can probably spend less and still get a pretty darn good setup, but does anything stick out and being a complete waste?

I appreciate any advice I can get! Odds are you all know more than me unless we're talking about the original Diablo or Sim City 2000...

Hey guys,

It has been awhile before I built my last computer, almost exactly 10 years. I last built a relatively modest build for myself with my father before heading off to college.  I had also built/help build a few for family members in the late 90s, early 2000s. Thanks to youtube and websites like this I have been mostly brought up to speed. 

So here is the story. I'd like to build a PC for me and my wife. Right now I do very minimal gaming, however that is more because of lack of hardware than desire. I will likely play a few FPS's, but RPGs,city builders, and simulators are more my thing. Honestly, I haven't played a modern title on a computer in awhile (just consoles).  Odds are this will be our main PC as well and my wife will likely use it for photoshop.  Nothing too intensive, just editing of family photos,etc. Most of the time on this computer will be spent in a 'day trading' like setup, where I will be reading financial news and monitoring a variety of markets.

I don't really have a budget persay. I am fine paying for top quality stuff assuming that it will last awhile (my last PC lasted for about 9.5 years to give you an idea). My goal for this one is to spend some money up front end get something that will last for awhile (4-5 years down the road I give it to my wife and build a new one).

One thing that sparked the idea for building a new PC and not just running a laptop is a teksyndicate video on a beautiful 39 inch 4k display. I will likely start with one of those and potentially spread it out to two or three. 

As for peripherals, I'll probably just use what I have, keyboard and mouse are ten years old but still run strong. 

Here is what I have come up with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XsFsrH 

What do you think?  Is anything just stupid/not make sense? I get I can probably spend less and still get a pretty darn good setup, but does anything stick out and being a complete waste?  

I appreciate any advice I can get!  Odds are you all know more than me unless we're talking about the original Diablo or Sim City 2000...

bad link.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Just remove the space at the end

Sorry about that. I just edited it and removed the space at the end. Thanks for the heads up aniallation.

The link in the OP is still leading to a 404 for me. Removing the space from my quote did work though!

EDIT: Overall though, the build looks solid in my opinion. Storage isn't my expertise, so I won't critique the drives any. Everything else looks well optimized for media editing, and thus means it's usually more than capable of gaming :P

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Sorry about that. I just edited it and removed the space at the end. Thanks for the heads up aniallation.

Delete the link in the OP entirely, then paste it again. Just removing the space will still leave the hyperlink to lead you the old broken URL :)

"Rawr XD"

If you are having trouble giving us the proper link, could you copy the BBCode text from "markup" then paste it into the thread for us?  

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

Delete the link in the OP entirely, then paste it again. Just removing the space will still leave the hyperlink to lead you the old broken URL :)

I believed that worked. Sorry guys. Link should be up and running now. Thanks again.