The new version of the Salladtron 5000!

I posted here yesterday with my first attempt at a future proof(ish) yet affordable gaming machine.  I was met with very helpful people and responses and decided to post my new improved version here!  If you want to read the other post click here!

After many tweaks I think I might have what I want!  Looking for opinions, help and more!  

I'm Canadian so prices are shitty!  

I'm in graduating high school so the money was tight, but here it is!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($105.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($412.40 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($42.46 @ DirectCanada) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($54.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($39.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $1233.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-25 20:14 EDT-0400

Thanks to all who read and post!

P.S Yes the "Salladtron 5000" what else would I call it?

EDIT: The bang you can get for .64 cents is unreal.  

The Z87 MOBO seems like a no-no for the k chip. I would also change the RAM for something more known like Kingston Fury or similar.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

The Z87 MOBO seems like a no-no for the k chip. I would also change the RAM for something more known like Kingston Fury or similar.

Mind explaining why it's a no-no?

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Mind explaining why it's a no-no?

Possible need for BIOS update for the Haswell refresh to work, overclocking is gonna probably be better on a Z97 platform ?

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Possible need for BIOS update for the Haswell refresh to work, overclocking is gonna probably be better on a Z97 platform ?

The first bit is definitely true. The second bit - meh.

Sig under construction.

The Asus Z87-Pro has "USB BIOS Flashback" which allows BIOS updating without a compatible CPU (If I'm not horribly wrong). As for the improved overclocking results, I have no idea, but I doubt it would make a big difference.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

The Asus Z87-Pro has "USB BIOS Flashback" which allows BIOS updating without a compatible CPU (If I'm not horribly wrong). As for the improved overclocking results, I have no idea, but I doubt it would make a big difference.

Pardon my lack of knowledge but what is the issue with the bios?

I'm trying to save money on the ram as much as possible.  I feel 100 $ for 16 gigs is really good, but am I mistaken?  

I'm always trying to suggest something that is gonna work out of the box, you never know the experience of the builder + more hassle. Not sure about the better overclocking just going from what I've heard. You know newer chipset, possibly better power delivery all that jazz. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Well, Z87 was released alongside the i5-4670K and i7-4770K. Then Intel released a slight refresh to those two CPUs, to the i5-4690K and i7-4790K (Along with other CPUs). Along with that slight refresh came out the Z97 chipset, which made room for future 5th Generation "Broadwell" CPU support, but was also compatible with the Haswell Refresh CPUs. The older Z87 chipset, which still uses the same physical LGA1150 socket as the Z97 chipset, didn't usually support Haswell Refresh CPUs right out of the box without updating the BIOS.

I'm always trying to suggest something that is gonna work out of the box, you never know the experience of the builder + more hassle. Not sure about the better overclocking just going from what I've heard. You know newer chipset, possibly better power delivery all that jazz. :)

Zero experience as a builder.  

Well, Z87 was released alongside the i5-4670K and i7-4770K. Then Intel released a slight refresh to those two CPUs, to the i5-4690K and i7-4790K (Along with other CPUs). Along with that slight refresh came out the Z97 chipset, which made room for future 5th Generation "Broadwell" CPU support, but was also compatible with the Haswell Refresh CPUs. The older Z87 chipset, which still uses the same physical LGA1150 socket as the Z97 chipset, didn't usually support Haswell Refresh CPUs right out of the box without updating the BIOS.

And this is a bad issue with this motherboard for me and my cpu?  I'm fairly in-experienced in building.  

Z87 was used before the Haswell refresh, so it's possible you gonna need BIOS update for the 4690k to work corectly.

I'm trying to save money on the ram as much as possible.  I feel 100 $ for 16 gigs is really good, but am I mistaken?  

It's a good deal, but I never heard about Team Vulcan brand so I'm little bit skeptical. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

And this is a bad issue with this motherboard for me and my cpu?  I'm fairly in-experienced in building.  

Well it's not 100% guaranteed to work with the Haswell Refresh i5-4690K right out of the box. However I think manufacturers have taken the time to update the BIOS beforehand to ensure Haswell Refresh compatibility, though there's a chance that the motherboard you'll be getting has been sitting on the shelves for a while before Haswell Refresh was released. If this is the case, it's simple to download the newest motherboard BIOS from Asus' website and update it.

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

Well it's not 100% guaranteed to work with the Haswell Refresh i5-4690K right out of the box. However I think manufacturers have taken the time to update the BIOS beforehand to ensure Haswell Refresh compatibility, though there's a chance that the motherboard you'll be getting has been sitting on the shelves for a while before Haswell Refresh was released. If this is the case, it's simple to download the newest motherboard BIOS from Asus' website and update it.

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

Pretty much this. If you are comfortable with updating BIOS (should not be hard for you) then by all means use this board. If you want to just plop the CPU in and be done with it, Z97 board is the way to go.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Pretty much this. If you are comfortable with updating BIOS (should not be hard for you) then by all means use this board. If you want to just plop the CPU in and be done with it, Z97 board is the way to go.

Im not familiar with how to do that, guess I'd have some googling to do.  

Now I have a question...when to buy?  I want it asap but what is the likely hood of deals coming up for the parts I have chosen?

It's quite easy, you just need a USB thumb drive and some Googling skills, but like I said, try using it out of the box first, it will most likely already be update and ready to go.

Watch from 18:00, should set you on a right path. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Haswell refresh isn't significantly different than Haswell, so it should boot in the motherboard, but it is always wise to update your BIOS whenever you build a computer.

the Z87 motherboard will be fine.

in general, the system gets my nod of approval. it even includes the Wifi card I usually recommend to those who need wifi cards.

Now I have a question...when to buy?  I want it asap but what is the likely hood of deals coming up for the parts I have chosen?

deals are often unpredictable, but on PCpartpicker you can see a graph of prices of certain products over time, and can guestimate if there will be a deal soon. the one thing I have learned is that if you are buying parts over time, buy the GPU last as many generations ago there was a $100 price drop shortly after buying my ATI X800 pro. if you are buying it all at once, just make sure that you aren't buying something that has periodic deals when there isn't one.

deals are often unpredictable, but on PCpartpicker you can see a graph of prices of certain products over time, and can guestimate if there will be a deal soon. the one thing I have learned is that if you are buying parts over time, buy the GPU last as many generations ago there was a $100 price drop shortly after buying my ATI X800 pro. if you are buying it all at once, just make sure that you aren't buying something that has periodic deals when there isn't one.

Does buying it all from one place matter?  Say everything from NCIX or everything from newegg?

Does buying it all from one place matter?  Say everything from NCIX or everything from newegg?

I never do. I'm in the states, so I usually buy about half from amazon, half from newegg, and ocassionally a few parts from NCIXus

edit: I just buy from whoever is cheaper, preferring amazon because I have prime and love 2 day shipping

I never do. I'm in the states, so I usually buy about half from amazon, half from newegg, and ocassionally a few parts from NCIXus

edit: I just buy from whoever is cheaper, preferring amazon because I have prime and love 2 day shipping

Thanks!