i3+SSD or i5?

Paired with a GTX 660ti, would an i3 be suitable for games like GTA5, BF4, and Cities Skyline? Or would an i5 be that much better given the reduced operating speeds.

After having an SSD in my computer, I would personally never go back to just an HDD.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

I 5 offers more upgradability......

i5 over the SSD no question.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

I 5 offers more upgradability......

What. What would you upgrade? I'm not following you.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Paired with a GTX 660ti, would an i3 be suitable for games like GTA5, BF4, and Cities Skyline? Or would an i5 be that much better given the reduced operating speeds.

After having an SSD in my computer, I would personally never go back to just an HDD.

i5

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

your gpu

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

It would give more headroom for a better gpu

i5 over the SSD no question.

So the 80 dollar difference is worth it? I personally have a 4670k and a 970, so everything is maxed out. My friend is not really looking to play everything on ultra, so thats what I was wondering.

The Grey Squirrel

Yeah with the way things are going dual core doesn't really cut it anymore need that quad I'm speaking from experience being a dual core gamer.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Yeah with the way things are going dual core doesn't really cut it anymore need that quad I'm speaking from experience being a dual core gamer.

It's not quite just a dual core CPU anyways. Looking at these benchmarks, it appears to only be a 5-10FPS difference while gaming: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1197?vs=1198

The Grey Squirrel

It's not quite just a dual core CPU anyways. Looking at these benchmarks, it appears to only be a 5-10FPS difference while gaming: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1197?vs=1198

Yeah there's no doubt it's a great chip but the benefits of quad core will become apparent over the next year with new games coming out making full use of multicore processing. And if he really wants to upgrade to SSD he only has to save £40-60 where as if he decides he wants to upgrade the CPU he's going to have to fork out £150+

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

i5

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Heyyo,

Intel i5 without a doubt. The SSD won't make that much difference in gaming anyways. SSD's are a nice addon if you got a high budget.. but for your average gaming? 200-300MB/s read time is good enough anyways which 2TB WD Green or Seagate Green drives can do. The only time you're writing files when gaming is a save file tbh... do you really need 300MB/s to 500 MB/s write for a save file? :P

Let's take for example GTA V... it's 60GB! You'd have to have a massive SSD to store the game... so you're looking at a $100 SSD as a minimum to be able to store only one or four newer open-world games. I'd rather plop that $100 to upgrade from an i3 to an i5 to get better visuals when gaming tbh. Framerate > load times.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

I'd say the i5. You'll benefit later.

Sig under construction.

The difference between a hyperthreaded 2-core i3 and a non-hyperthreaded 4-core i5 is not that great. In gaming, the i5 would be better. However, for browsing and general work an ssd coupled with an i3 would likely out perform an hdd equipped i5.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I would do i3 ➕ SSD cause with a 660ti that's enough.

SSD will not make your games run better. But it will make the PC feel beast and a joy to use in general.

i5 definitely! Headroom for overclocking and you'll benefit layer with games drawing more from the CPU and if you do the occasional video editing [emoji14]