Alternatives to Asus PB278QR

MooseCheese

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a 1440p monitor with excellent colour reproduction. I won't be using it for anything professional; purely for gaming (DCS, FSX, Falcon BMS, GTA V - cinematic games that benefit more from the quality of colour reproduction than response time and refresh rate) and 4K movies. Therefore deep colour is completely unnecessary (although the PB278QR does support it, with a 30-bit panel), and of course incompatible with my consumer grade graphics card. That being said, a monitor that supports deep colour is likely to have better all round colour reproduction which I really do appreciate.

The only alternative I have found is the Dell UltraSharp U2715H; however, it costs £60 more, has a negligibly slower response time and only supports 24-bit colour (99% vs 100% sRGB). I believe however that the Dell is factory calibrated (with a promised deltaE of <3). It is also the more attractive of the two.

I want to know therefore, if the superior panel of the Asus or the professionally calibrated Dell would be the better choice, or for that matter if there are better alternatives that I've missed. Whilst I'm quite familiar with the concept of calibrating a monitor to the extent allowed by the Windows Display Colour Calibration wizard and displaycalibration.com, I'm certainly not going to invest in a colorimeter, if that helps you to give advice.

Kind regards,

Charlie

Thanks very much Si3Rra_7, that's an exceptionally useful resource, given my predicament.

Kind regards,

Charlie