Audio-Technica ATH-M50x or...?

I am looking at a headphone upgrade, and the ATH-m50x seemed like a fantastic option. I am now wondering if these will be good, or if there is something else in this price range that will be even better.

Cheers.

Will be used for gaming, music, movies, etc.

Edited by TheMBomb

You could get the M40x instead, they are just a little bit lower in build quality, while being about the same for sound quality, and much lower in price.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Well what will you use them for just music or also gaming and maybe movies? Do you plan to use them portably or can you use open back headphones?

You could get the M40x instead, they are just a little bit lower in build quality, while being about the same for sound quality, and much lower in price.

Well, I kind of require decent build quality, as my gear often takes a beating. I will look at the M40x.

Well what will you use them for just music or also gaming and maybe movies? Do you plan to use them portably or can you use open back headphones?

Gaming, music, movies, etc. I would travel with them a fair bit. (Vacations, etc.) More often than not, they'd be sitting at my desk. I have Bose IE2's for my casual listening outside of the house.

Well, I kind of require decent build quality, as my gear often takes a beating. I will look at the M40x.

Gaming, music, movies, etc. I would travel with them a fair bit. (Vacations, etc.) More often than not, they'd be sitting at my desk. I have Bose IE2's for my casual listening outside of the house.

I've got the m20x and it is plenty durable, I keep it in the rear pocket of my backpack (the one nearest to my back) pretty much all day every day and they have not taken any damage from what I can tell. (I throw my backpack around every now and then)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Well than a close headphone I would personally stay away from the m50x they got close to no soundstage what is your budget as well?

I've got a pair of M50s and they are great but if you can get a nice deal on a pair of Sennheiser Momentum, I'd recommend those.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Well than a close headphone I would personally stay away from the m50x they got close to no soundstage what is your budget as well?

About $250 CAD. What would you recommend in their place, the m40x?

I've got a pair of M50s and they are great but if you can get a nice deal on a pair of Sennheiser Momentum, I'd recommend those.

Nice deal meaning...? How much off?

/quote]

In that price point and you needs I recommend either the Sony mdr 1r for a warm sound or the audio technica ath msr7 for bright sound

/quote]

In that price point and you needs I recommend either the Sony mdr 1r for a warm sound or the audio technica ath msr7 for bright sound

I can't find the sonys for less than $299... and the only ath msr7's available to me are at over $600...

Well you can always try used but if that doesn't work for you the m40x is a better value than the m50x or you can get the Shure srh840 which I like more than both of those.

Also if you can go for in ears the Rha t10i are amazing.

Well you can always try used but if that doesn't work for you the m40x is a better value than the m50x or you can get the Shure srh840 which I like more than both of those.

Also if you can go for in ears the Rha t10i are amazing.

If I can find a deal on the Shures, I may go for those. For now, the m40x looks pretty good. However, I've read that the m50x's have a boomier bass, is this true? Does it feel unbalanced?

I tried both and no I wouldn't call it boomy but it's not much more than the m40x they sound nearly the same its really not a 60$ difference.

I tried both and no I wouldn't call it boomy but it's not much more than the m40x they sound nearly the same its really not a 60$ difference.

Alright, thanks! I will order the m40x's... In... about a week. Looking forward to it!

Thanks!