The most ghetto custom loop of all time

Hello friends. Before I start this I would like to keep the hate here at a minimum. Please no hateful comments. ex: "are you a fucking retard?" things of this nature. Its sad that I have to ask this but I feel its necessary. 2nd I would like to note that this build isn't for serious use. I'm just building it for fun.

Now lets get started. Heres the idea. I'm going to encase a giant "be quiet pure rock 3" in acrylic glass and put inlets and outlets on either side. I'm also going to use garden hose, epoxy, silicone bathtub sealer, as well as JB weld instant gasket for engines. The pump i'm using is for a swimming pool and the radiator is from an acura integra. I'm going to setup the radiator outside.

Once again THIS IS ALL FOR FUN. I'm going to document the build in this thread hopefully.

Thoughts, ideas, and suggestions?

ALSO working on this project this week! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/340894-building-new-computers-for-my-office/#entry4646946

umm that punp might be a bit too strong

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

umm that punp might be a bit too strong

im open to suggestions. its not a very big one. Made for a cheapo kiddie pool.

Well. Sounds awesome. Good luck. Only thing I can think off is you gonna need a lot of coolant and I'd say get a normal loop with the CPU block and loop it and then do your idea?

Steve

That pump might churn the water around a bit too powerfully. 

My build: tis be ordered

That pump might churn the water around a bit too powerfully. 

Double post glitch, ignore this

My build: tis be ordered

This is interesting, I'm not against terrible ideas when it comes to interesting builds. But here's my understanding of it. Your looking to put your cpu heat sink into a sort of reservoir with flowing water right?

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Well. Sounds awesome. Good luck. Only thing I can think off is you gonna need a lot of coolant and I'd say get a normal loop with the CPU block and loop it and then do your idea?

my big thing here is improvising with materials i have. Im all about DIY

-SNIP-

Umm, you better get a good seal around everything to get it water tight at a good PSI. Also wouldn't it be easier to get a cheapy waterblock to just play around with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pcs-CPU-Water-Cooling-Block-Waterblock-50mm-Copper-Base-Cool-Inner-Channel-/161577339627

This is interesting, I'm not against terrible ideas when it comes to interesting builds. But here's my understanding of it. Your looking to put your cpu heat sink into a sort of reservoir with flowing water right?

essentially. im hoping to orient it so there isnt much water standing.

essentially. im hoping to orient it so there isnt much water standing.

Keep in mind that if you do submerge the heatsink in water it will be written off, anodized aluminum reacts strongly in water and quickly forms calcium deposit type formations that get stuck between the fins and are almost impossible to get out. Used a heatsink in WetRarity as a decoration.

Sounds awesome. Good luck

Steve

Keep in mind that if you do submerge the heatsink in water it will be written off, anodized aluminum reacts strongly in water and quickly forms calcium deposit type formations that get stuck between the fins and are almost impossible to get out. Used a heatsink in WetRarity as a decoration.

I didnt think about this. Is there something I can coat this heat sink in to prevent this??? Or some other liquid I can use? I know a lot of people have used mineral oil for submerged rigs. maybe that would work for this?

I didnt think about this. Is there something I can coat this heat sink in to prevent this??? Or some other liquid I can use? I know a lot of people have used mineral oil for submerged rigs. maybe that would work for this?

Mineral Oil has been shown to work for this but it is also a less convective liquid, so it is certainly a compromise

Aren't most modern car radiators made from aluminum? I would assume the build up you had was from the electrolysis of different metals presesnt, so wouldn't he be fine with an aluminum rad and heatsink?

edit: You can cool your car with water so I don't think aluminum on its own is a problem.

I think you'll have a hard time encasing the dark rock in glass properly, but if you manage more power to you ^^ you may want to put a couple of fans on the radiator though. And make sure the liquid has a biocide.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think you'll have a hard time encasing the dark rock in glass properly, but if you manage more power to you ^^ you may want to put a couple of fans on the radiator though. And make sure the liquid has a biocide.

Ive got some 18" fans for it. and im definitely going to use some kind of biocide 0.o that episode of "whole room" was nasty.

Aren't most modern car radiators made from aluminum? I would assume the build up you had was from the electrolysis of different metals presesnt, so wouldn't he be fine with an aluminum rad and heatsink?

edit: You can cool your car with water so I don't think aluminum on its own is a problem.

For the dis-similar metals it's usually a problem if the wrong coolant is used but as long as a compatible coolant is used I don't see why it would be an issues since in a vehicle a coolant loop can have aluminum, brass and copper all mixed together.

So glycol coolants would be compatible but as shown by Linus it has not biocide, for PC version there are a lot out there but an example is mayhems X1 which works for dis-similar metals and has a biocide.

http://www.mayhems.co.uk/mayhems/index.php/products/normal-coolants/mayhems-x1

fans under water will eventually, if not quickly, wear out becasue the water will wash away the lubricant, you'd need to use mineral oil to use fans and with the flow this guy will have, I doub't a 120mm pc fan will do much more cooling. :)

Admittedly I simply submerged the heatsink in tap water under aquarium conditions, but within a day it was developing deposits and I pulled it and tried to clean it, it's still running in one of my computers

fans under water will eventually, if not quickly, wear out becasue the water will wash away the lubricant, you'd need to use mineral oil to use fans and with the flow this guy will have, I doub't a 120mm pc fan will do much more cooling. :)

I didn't say a pc fan ^^ and I meant outside of the radiator, pushing air through it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think you should use a regular watercooling block. It will be way easier. I can't see how you will submerge this heatsink into water.