WD My Book Noob Question

botpaket
Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

you dont need to install those apps in the external drive

use the HDD and just dump the files in there

and use the safety remove button esp after doing some file transfer

i once got a huge file i transferred got corrupted just because i took the lazy route and just unplugged after transfering

Hello

I just bought a 3TB WD MyBook External

i have a few questions

1) When i plug in my WD to my PC, inside of the WD is WD Smartware, WD User, WD Installation, ( I think its a lock feature ? )

But i don't want any of that, i just want to store my data on it, is it okay to copy and paste my data to the WD My Book without installing it?

2) When i'm done using it, how do i turn it off? 

Eject (Safely Remove) -> Unplug the USB from PC -> and Just unplug the Cable from power socket? or it will just harm my external?

thanks

If you can see what's inside your HDD then what ever is inside you don't need, you can delete it no problem

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

Hello

I just bought a 3TB WD MyBook External

i have a few questions

1) When i plug in my WD to my PC, inside of the WD is WD Smartware, WD User, WD Installation, ( I think its a lock feature ? )

But i don't want any of that, i just want to store my data on it, is it okay to copy and paste my data to the WD My Book without installing it?

2) When i'm done using it, how do i turn it off? 

Eject (Safely Remove) -> Unplug the USB from PC -> and Just unplug the Cable from power socket? or it will just harm my external?

thanks

1) Should not be an issue. It will just be a normal external HDD without those "special" feature then.

2) advisable to eject before removing. Not sure but my own (super old model and only 320GB), I don't to eject nor unplug it. It is constantly connected to my desktop as long as my desktop in on. So far, it's still working ... 

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

i once got a huge file i transferred got corrupted just because i took the lazy route and just unplugged after transfering

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

If you can see what's inside your HDD then what ever is inside you don't need, you can delete it no problem

1) Should not be an issue. It will just be a normal external HDD without those "special" feature then.

2) advisable to eject before removing. Not sure but my own (super old model and only 320GB), I don't to eject nor unplug it. It is constantly connected to my desktop as long as my desktop in on. So far, it's still working ... 

Thanks guys for the answers !

right now i'm copying the data

what concerns me now is

i'm backing up my PC data (1 TB)

and estimated time is 2 hours

and i just check crystaldiskinfo

and my WD My Book is 40 Degrees and it still have to copy for 2 hours more

is it okay?

what concerns me now is

i'm backing up my PC data (1 TB)

and estimated time is 2 hours

and i just check crystaldiskinfo

and my WD My Book is 40 Degrees and it still have to copy for 2 hours more

is it okay?

they will be warm but still within the operating temps

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

what concerns me now is

<Snip>

is it okay?

Don't be so concerned... Nothings going to happen... Is this the first time you have used an External HDD?

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

they will be warm but still within the operating temps

Don't be so concerned... Nothings going to happen... Is this the first time you have used an External HDD?

Ah okay, because it goes up to 43 degrees now

i heard that hdd should not be this hot?

i have used an external hdd before, but i never watch or care the temps of my hdd

but now, i became so paranoid about this stuff :( haha

and i want to ask something else, ( its out of topic)

when i'm reinstalling windows 

like this pic from google

windows-7-install-size.jpg

and i want to have a 200 gb local disk C for OS , and a 800 gb local disk D for stuff

how do i do that?

can you tell me step by step?

do i have to format it first ? because i'm reinstalling?

Ah okay, because it goes up to 43 degrees now

i heard that hdd should not be this hot?

i have used an external hdd before, but i never watch or care the temps of my hdd

but now, i became so paranoid about this stuff :( haha

and i want to ask something else, ( its out of topic)

when i'm reinstalling windows 

like this pic from google

and i want to have a 200 gb local disk C for OS , and a 800 gb local disk D for stuff

how do i do that?

can you tell me step by step?

do i have to format it first ? because i'm reinstalling?

like in the pic

you can specify the size when you select the disk

but before you that

you need to delete the existing partition 

select new 

then select your main disk

specify size to be 20000MB 

and same goes for the remaining disk space

then make sure you select the 200GB as your OS install location 

like in the pic

you can specify the size when you select the disk

but before you that

you need to delete the existing partition 

select new 

then select your main disk

specify size to be 20000MB 

and same goes for the remaining disk space

then make sure you select the 200GB as your OS install location 

So its like this

Delete all partition first -> Format -> New -> 20000mb -> apply -> new again -> 80000mb (or remaining) -> apply -> click the 200GB -> next 

is that correct?

So its like this

Delete all partition first -> Format -> New -> 20000mb -> apply -> new again -> 80000mb (or remaining) -> apply -> click the 200GB -> next 

is that correct?

correct but no need to format

just delete and create new

correct but no need to format

just delete and create new

Ah okay

why no need to format?

i'm reinstalling using windows 8 feature (remove everything and reinstall windows 8)

Ah okay

why no need to format?

i'm reinstalling using windows 8 feature (remove everything and reinstall windows 8)

during the OS install it will quick format for you

during the OS install it will quick format for you

Ahh i see

Thanks ! :)