1080p 144Hz TN + GUNNAR vs 1440p 60Hz ?

Hello! :lol:

So I'm gonna upgrade my cheap old 1080p TN 60Hz panel, but I haven't quite decided with what.

When I was planning to upgrade some months ago, I was thinking of a 144/120 Hz panel. But when I got my iphone 6, I was blown away with the nice deep blacks and vivid colors. So than I started thinking of an IPS panel..and then with that 1440p.

So while I do very much enjoy nice vivid colors, I would also like to play in those smooth higher refresh rates. And while I've seen/used some great IPS panels (I especially really enjoyed the 27'' 1440p iMac at our school), I have never used a monitor with more than 60Hz.And then one day, a classmate of mine told me that he loves his 144Hz TN panel with his gaming gunnar glasses that make all the colors pop.

So yeah, I'm a big gamer (I play FPS games the most, but lots of others as well) and I love watching content, whether it's Movies, youtube...

So I really don't know what to do.

1. Go for a nice 1440p60 IPS monitor ^_^
  2. For a 1080p144 TN monitor + some gaming glasses :rolleyes:
  3. Or maybe even for like 2 IPS 1080p60 panels.. :huh:

My budget is like 400$. So what do you guys think?

Thank you so much for reading this! :D

Hello! :lol:

So I'm gonna upgrade my cheap old 1080p TN 60Hz panel, but I haven't quite decided with what.

When I was planning to upgrade some months ago, I was thinking of a 144/120 Hz panel. But when I got my iphone 6, I was blown away with the nice deep blacks and vivid colors. So than I started thinking of an IPS panel..and then with that 1440p.

So while I do very much enjoy nice vivid colors, I would also like to play in those smooth higher refresh rates. And while I've seen/used some great IPS panels (I especially really enjoyed the 27'' 1440p iMac at our school), I have never used a monitor with more than 60Hz.And then one day, a classmate of mine told me that he loves his 144Hz TN panel with his gaming gunnar glasses that make all the colors pop.

So yeah, I'm a big gamer (I play FPS games the most, but lots of others as well) and I love watching content, whether it's Movies, youtube...

So I really don't know what to do.

1. Go for a nice 1440p60 IPS monitor ^_^
  2. For a 1080p144 TN monitor + some gaming glasses :rolleyes:
  3. Or maybe even for like 2 IPS 1080p60 panels.. :huh:

My budget is like 400$. So what do you guys think?

Thank you so much for reading this! :D

Gunnars do not make colours pop, they make everything yellow and warm - I have them and I hate using them for anything colourful, besides 144hz displays should make things easier on your eyes

that said, I prefer 1440p especially for monitors over 24"

there are some 144hz 1440p IPS panels coming if you can wait

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Gunnars do not make colours pop, they make everything yellow and warm - I have them and I hate using them for anything colourful, besides 144hz displays should make things easier on your eyes

that said, I prefer 1440p especially for monitors over 24"

there are some 144hz 1440p IPS panels coming if you can wait

How much will they cost? Because something like the ROG Swift would be perfect, but too expensive..

Some monitors have a low blue light mode which effectively does the same thing as Gunnars, except without having to wear glasses. I am skeptical about how much either of those improves the experience anyway.

I'd recommend waiting for a 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor and get the best of both worlds, if your budget is high enough anyway. The MG279Q will launch at around 600 USD.

How much will they cost? Because something like the ROG Swift would be perfect, but too expensive..

no idea! will be cheaper than the swift as they are not gysnc they are using freesync so should be quite a bit cheaper

if not personally I prefer 1440p over 144hz... but im not a competitive gamer

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Some monitors have a low blue light mode which effectively does the same thing as Gunnars, except without having to wear glasses. I am skeptical about how much either of those improves the experience anyway.

I'd recommend waiting for a 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor and get the best of both worlds, if your budget is high enough anyway. The MG279Q will launch at around 600 USD.

Yea, honestly I might just wait for that one  ^_^

btw, Should I spend extra to get the G-sync monitor? Because I have an Nvidia GPU not AMD...

btw, Should I spend extra to get the G-sync monitor? Because I have an Nvidia GPU not AMD...

Get the 1080p 144hz, if you care about smoothness. I honestly don't know how people say 60fps is smooth, 60fps gameplay is choppy, it irritates me so much.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |