Optimal fan setup for Phanteks Enthoo Pro to prevent GPU1 from overheating in Crossfire?

Razarza

So I've recently got my first dual graphics card setup going and have noticed GPU1 is sometimes overheating in very intensive games while in Crossfire, when Crossfire is disabled it doesn't overheat. I haven't even started overclocking my 290s so I really need to do something about this right away, from other posts I've read it seems that replacing the 200mm fan with two 140mm fans is popular but I'm not sure if this would cool GPU1 enough to prevent overheating. I would also prefer to keep the 200mm fan at the front anyway so if there is another solution I would like to do that.

I've also seen that you can mount a fan to the HDD cage, would this be a better solution?

At the moment I just have the default config with a rear 140mm and a front 200mm.

I don't really have much experience with cooling and any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

is it a reference cooler on your card?

If they're very close together there is little that can be done. What you have now i think is the best you could do, with just fans, 

Also, don't forget to follow your posts! @Razarza

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

is it a reference cooler on your card?

If they're very close together there is little that can be done. What you have now i think is the best you could do, with just fans, 

Also, don't forget to follow your posts! @Razarza

I have the XFX Double Dissipation 290s.

The cards aren't as close as I thought they would have been, I guess that is why MSI branded the motherboard as Z97 SLI Krait Edition. Here is a picture.

I always forget to follow my own posts, I did have it set to automatically do that ages ago. Must have reset or something.

Edit: Just had a quick look through the notifications settings on the forum and I can't find an auto follow own topics option. I could have sworn that there was one there when I first set up my account.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I have the XFX Double Dissipation 290s.

The cards aren't as close as I thought they would have been, I guess that is why MSI branded the motherboard as Z97 SLI Krait Edition. Here is a picture.

I always forget to follow my own posts, I did have it set to automatically do that ages ago. Must have reset or something.

Edit: Just had a quick look through the notifications settings on the forum and I can't find an auto follow own topics option. I could have sworn that there was one there when I first set up my account.

Ahh, nice and space alright :) I guess what you have it good. More airflow is the way forward, If you have a spare fan, do try the hdd cage mount. 

No worries, just a reminder, :) 

Ahh, nice and space alright :) I guess what you have it good. More airflow is the way forward, If you have a spare fan, do try the hdd cage mount. 

No worries, just a reminder, :)

I don't have any spare fans, I was looking at a couple shops to buy some but since the postage almost costs as much as a single fan I was thinking about buying a few at once to save on postage costs.

Maybe replace the 200mm fan with 2 140mm, put the 200mm at the top and have a 120mm on the top HDD cage. What do you think of that?

Spoiler

take off on of your cpu fan move it around you case to see where the best spot to cool the gpus would be, mid drive cage or top. 200m only fits on the top i believe. 

Edited by blackadder

I don't have any spare fans, I was looking at a couple shops to buy some but since the postage almost costs as much as a single fan I was thinking about buying a few at once to save on postage costs.

Maybe replace the 200mm fan with 2 140mm, put the 200mm at the top and have a 120mm on the top HDD cage. What do you think of that?

yeah, you'd certainly more a butt-ton of air. And you could make the 120 fan a food airflow one, moving lots of air towards the gpus. 

Seems like good upgrade path. there is no bottom intake fan? you could try one there too, if the hdd option isn't as effective. 

yeah, you'd certainly more a butt-ton of air. And you could make the 120 fan a food airflow one, moving lots of air towards the gpus. 

Seems like good upgrade path. there is no bottom intake fan? you could try one there too, if the hdd option isn't as effective. 

I don't know about a fan at the bottom, it doesn't look like there would be much room for it to be effective. I'll have a proper look in the morning.

Spoiler

I don't know about a fan at the bottom, it doesn't look like there would be much room for it to be effective. I'll have a proper look in the morning.

I see what you mean you know your case best :P

Let me know what you choose to do and how it works out! 

take off on of your cpu fan move it around you case to see where the best spot to cool the gpus would be, mid drive cage or top. 200m only fits on the top i believe. 

Took me a while to understand what you were saying but nah I'm not going to bother moving around fans and running tests, I'll just order a few fans and chuck them in. Yeah the 200mm can only go at the front and at the top. If I was more adventurous I could drill a couple holes and fit 2 200mm fans at the front.

I see what you mean you know your case best :P

Let me know what you choose to do and how it works out! 

lol, I just had a look and there is absolutely no room at all for a bottom fan, unless I take the PSU cover off. [1] [2]

I think I'll just go with the 200mm here and put two 140mm at the front with a 120mm on the top drive cage. It has been a while since I installed my HDDs and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to move them to the bottom cage and remove the top because the SATA power connectors don't reach, I'll have a better look and try to move some things around when these fans arrive.

In case you are wondering I ordered 2 140mm Noctua Redux fans for the front and a 120mm Phanteks for the drive cage to match with the existing 140mm and 200mm.

Spoiler

Took me a while to understand what you were saying but nah I'm not going to bother moving around fans and running tests, I'll just order a few fans and chuck them in. Yeah the 200mm can only go at the front and at the top. If I was more adventurous I could drill a couple holes and fit 2 200mm fans at the front.

lol, I just had a look and there is absolutely no room at all for a bottom fan, unless I take the PSU cover off. [1] [2]

I think I'll just go with the 200mm here and put two 140mm at the front with a 120mm on the top drive cage. It has been a while since I installed my HDDs and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to move them to the bottom cage and remove the top because the SATA power connectors don't reach, I'll have a better look and try to move some things around when these fans arrive.

In case you are wondering I ordered 2 140mm Noctua Redux fans for the front and a 120mm Phanteks for the drive cage to match with the existing 140mm and 200mm.

nice! I hope it gives you some good results :) 

nice! I hope it gives you some good results :)

My fans arrived on Tuesday but I haven't had time to properly mess around with my PC until now, I managed to get the 2 140mm installed last night and it has been folding since then, GPU1 maxed out at 90 and GPU2 at 68. I'm happy with GPU2 but I would like GPU1 to be lower (at least low 80s) because the XFX 290s seem to trigger a shutdown after 94.

I've managed my HDDs properly and have gotten them all down to the bottom drive cage so the top one is currently removed. Should I zip tie the 120mm where the tip cage would be or have it up top with the 200mm.

Also with the top fan(s) should I have them as intake or exhaust?

Edit - Whoops, forgot photos

Spoiler

snip

use zip ties, i just got my fans too :). the one of the top wont help your gpus nearly as much as having two on the drive cages. i also wish we didn't have to remove that drive support bar, mines just kinda hanging there. 

use zip ties, i just got my fans too :). the one of the top wont help your gpus nearly as much as having two on the drive cages. i also wish we didn't have to remove that drive support bar, mines just kinda hanging there. 

I know the 200mm won't do much for my cards  I just had another look and there is another spot over where I had the 120mm in the pictures. I guess I'll move the 200mm there and zip tie the 120mm where the top drive cage would be.

I'll just have to find those zip ties.

Edit - Found them, I'll reply once I've got them installed

Spoiler

My fans arrived on Tuesday but I haven't had time to properly mess around with my PC until now, I managed to get the 2 140mm installed last night and it has been folding since then, GPU1 maxed out at 90 and GPU2 at 68. I'm happy with GPU2 but I would like GPU1 to be lower (at least low 80s) because the XFX 290s seem to trigger a shutdown after 94.

I've managed my HDDs properly and have gotten them all down to the bottom drive cage so the top one is currently removed. Should I zip tie the 120mm where the tip cage would be or have it up top with the 200mm.

Also with the top fan(s) should I have them as intake or exhaust?

Edit - Whoops, forgot photos

Nice :) 

when you ziptie, make sure it wont make too much rattle, other then that i think it'll be perfectly fine. 

I found on my case that for the top fans the most effective was to have one as intake and the other exhaust (closest one to the back). Give that a go, and i'm glad that you got soem good results on your gpus! :) 

@Nup @blackadder (Is this how to tag? I've never done it before)

Wow, this is a much better improvement than I expected. I just played a round of War Thunder and it doesn't normally take long to heat up to 94 while in Crossfire but after installing these fans the max temp I got was 75 (GPU1) and 60 (GPU2).

I ended up ziptying the 200mm where I had the 120mm in the picture and moved the 140mm from the back to the top, I replaced the back 140mm with the 120mm. I couldn't find any good spots for the 120mm to be tied where the top drive cage would be and it also wouldn't fit at the top where I wanted it so I replaced the 140mm with it.

Thanks for all your help.

Spoiler

-snip-

yep the tagging worked ;) 

Awesome to hear it! ghetto fan mounting to the rescue, eh :P 

Enjoy your cool temps :) 

ghetto fan mounting to the rescue, eh :P

I should have taken a picture, both the 140mm and 200mm are mounted with only 2 or 3 zip ties each. No vibration noise though, so I've done it right.

Spoiler