My First Desktop Build

MrDigitized
Go to solution Solved by Xaring,

For that price it is a very decent machine.... Go for it. (a bit overkill for your use but oh well, you could probably make do with an i5)

So I've been gaming on the ASUS G75VW for about 2 years now.  I purchased the ASUS G751 and then returned it because I decided to just go with a desktop build. I'm still using my G75VW for on the go gaming quite frequently but I want something with some power.

I already ordered this and the only reason I didn't choose to build it myself is because I simply don't want to.  I got this for a total of $1300 because of a sale and extra 5% off, shipping included.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. I got an 850w PSU for future expansion.

Thanks!

• CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
  • CARE2: Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
  • CARE3: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
  • CAS: NZXT Source 340 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Side-Panel Window [-1] (Black/Orange Color)
  • COOLANT: Standard Coolant
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790 3.60 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150
  • CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+15] (Red Color)
  • EXCD1: External USB DVDRW [+38]
  • FAN: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
  • HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+29] (Single Drive)
  • IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
  • KEYBOARD: AZZA Delta Gaming Keyboard w/ Anti-Ghosting & red backlight
  • MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V3)
  • MOPAD: Corsair Gaming MM200 Mouse Mat - Standard Edition PN:CH-9000079-WW [+14]
  • MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX w/ GIGABit LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1x M.2, 6x SATA 6GB/s (All Venom OC Certified)
  • MOUSE: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - Corsair CSM Series CS850M 80 Plus Gold Certified Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+52]
  • SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
  • SOFT1: McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 [+0] <---- FREE
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • USBX: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]
  • VIDEO: EVGA Superclocked ACX 2.0 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Maxwell) [+218] (Single Card)
  • WNC: 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card [+26]

Edit:  I plan on using this system for some sim racing games with my G27 wheel and other AAA titles like GTA V.

• CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]

CARE2: Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]

CARE3: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]

These should be standards, not extras in my opinion. Who did you order this from?

Oh, and delete that McAfee   :D

Edit: Built it in PCPP and it was about $1175 using parts listed above.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

• CARE2: Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
  • CARE3: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]

These should be standards, not extras in my opinion. Who did you order this from?

Yeah I agree and it disappointed me that I had to pay extra... but the sale made it worth my while.

Cyberpowerpc.com

The hardware is damn solid. First thing to do though GET RID OF MCAFEE it is literally, the worst anti virus out there, it will slow down your computer to a crawl during updates, which you have no way of stopping once they begin, and it gives false positives on every, single, damn, even slightly questionable item.

Even Avast Free is better than a subscription to that gosh darn mcafee.

And i cannot stress that enough...

Bad language Being Used in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Why Z97 without an overclockable CPU? SSD?

Because it was a free upgrade.

The hardware is damn solid. First thing to do though GET RID OF MCAFEE it is literally, the worst anti virus out there, it will slow down your computer to a crawl during updates, which you have no way of stopping once they begin, and it gives false positives on every, single, damn, even slightly questionable item.

ESET?

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

I use Avast and Ad-Aware.  I'm selling Mcafee.

Edit: Glad to hear! Thanks!!

Because it was a free upgrade.

I see

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

I see

Also, no SSD yet.  I have to start paying my motorcycle insurance come March, so I have to save up for a nice SSD.

For that price it is a very decent machine.... Go for it. (a bit overkill for your use but oh well, you could probably make do with an i5)

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Thanks! It should be shipping on the 26th.  Yeah I was going for overkill.  I was going to get an i5, but an i7 was only $30 more.

ESET?

Eset is quite good. That and Kaspersky.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I'll have to try out Eset, never even heard of it.  Kaspersky I was pretty unhappy with, seemed very resource intensive.

My only issue with Kaspersky is that it'll randomly use up a bunch of bandwith on my WiFi.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

I'll have to try out Eset, never even heard of it.  Kasperspy I was pretty unhappy with, seemed very resource intensive.

No doubt that kasp. is resource intensive, but it is so because it's possibly the most complete AV out there. 

No doubt that kasp. is resource intensive, but it is so because it's possibly the most complete AV out there. 

That is a great point.

That is a great point.

Kapersky is kinda like the Chrome of AV xD if you think about it. Sure it's a resource hog, but it's got a good reason to be one 

With most of what I was going to say already sorted out, the only thing I can complain about is no AC wifi lol... not always needed but a nice thing to have if you're going to fill up one of your slots with one of those anyways... very solid for the price  :)

By the way, welcome to the forums :D

Dont forget to follow your own topics  

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

By the way, welcome to the forums :D

Dont forget to follow your own topics  

Thanks ;)

With most of what I was going to say already sorted out, the only thing I can complain about is no AC wifi lol... not always needed but a nice thing to have if you're going to fill up one of your slots with one of those anyways... very solid for the price  :)

Glad to hear! Thanks!