Windows 7 installed on SSD needs to be booted up from HDD?!?!?!

Go to solution Solved by Louis54000,

unplug your hdd, insert your windows installation dvd and click repair, that should do it.

And searching bootmgr wont work, its a file only named bootmgr and at the root of your drive and hidden so not indexed.

Anyway the problem is that the system partition should be on your SSD! 

Did you try "Ripristino all'avvio" ??

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4260182476

CPU - Intel 3770k @ 4.5GHz + CM 212 EVO + Noctua NF-F12/ GPU - EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX / PSU - Corsair AX860i / Motherboard - Z77A-GD55 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM / HDD - 1.5TB WDC Black - 3.0TB WDC Red - 120GB Sandisk Extreme - 500GB Samsung 850 / Display - Asus PB287Q 4K and Asus VG248 + 3D Vision 2 glasses / Mouse - G500s 

Did you try "Ripristino all'avvio" ??

Yes... unfortunately it fails to fix the problem

post-173266-0-78546800-1425216696_thumb.

G: HDD     S: SSD

is it worth it to try to move some files from G: to S: ?

Hello,

I have built my own computer and have installed Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium on the 840 EVO 120GB SSD. However since the beginning something went wrong, because everytime I boot it up, it shows me a menu, where I have to select wich operating system to boot (Windows 7 or Windows 7) and both options boot the same windows/desktop.

At this point I have to say, that I have a HDD (1TB, WD green, SATA II) where the OS (Windows 7 Home Premium) of the old computer (at the moment unused) is installed. Recently I bought a Seagate Barracuda (2TB).

Sometime later (I don't remember exactly when) I booted the PC without the 1TB drive plugged in (only the SSD was plugged in) and it showed me a "Errore lettura da Disco" ("Disk read Error" or something like that). It turned out that the solution was to boot it from the 1TB HDD. Afterwards I set the boot-priority of the HDD in order to boot automatically from the HDD. That worked fine, the "OS-selection-menu" persisted.

Recently (last week) I had to fix my phone and had to put a file on the micro-sd-card. On the new pc I didn't have one so I had to start the old one. Since it was late and I didn't wanted to demount the HDD I plugged the SATA cable from the old one into the 1TB HDD and since the HDD needed Power, I started the new pc and went into the bios (The HDD stayed in the new PC and was powered by that; the old PC was plugged into this drive in order to boot). I booted it up and moved that file on the micro-sd. The next day I plugged the drive into the new PC and tried to boot it up: "Errore lettura da disco". I tried to change the boot priority, same message. But if I go into the boot-menu and select the 1TB drive, windows starts regularly.

I can tell that it's surely not booting from that SATA II drive, because Windows starts within 15 seconds (I know the difference between ssd or hdd when booting the same os on the same system, because I worked nearly a year with the old pc, where I was able to do that)

However my problem now is that I have to put this HDD back into the old PC and I wanted to know if there is any possibility to fix this, without reinstalling win7 on my new PC.

If anything from the text above isn't clear, I'll try to explain it as accurate and comprehensible as possible ;)

attachicon.gifDrives expanded.PNGattachicon.gifComputer.PNG

I'm looking forwards for some replies :)

Try getting software to move the contents of your HDD to your ssd- I have an ssd and bought it in a bundle so I could transfer all the files from my HDD to the ssd. 

Cpu: i7 4790k @ 4ghz, Motherboard: z97 asus deluxe, Memory: 8gb Kingston hyperx blue, Graphics card: Evga gtx 750ti ftw, Storage: 1TB WD BLUE mass storage, Crucial 120gb ssd (boot drive win 8.1), PSUCorsair cx750w fully wired, Displays: ben Q  2 ms gtg  , Cpu coolerBe quiet! shadow-rock slim, Peripherals: Ducky shine 3, Corsair m65 gaming mouse, SoundHyper x cloud Headphones, OS: Windows 8.1

Hello,

I have built my own computer and have installed Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium on the 840 EVO 120GB SSD. However since the beginning something went wrong, because everytime I boot it up, it shows me a menu, where I have to select wich operating system to boot (Windows 7 or Windows 7) and both options boot the same windows/desktop.

At this point I have to say, that I have a HDD (1TB, WD green, SATA II) where the OS (Windows 7 Home Premium) of the old computer (at the moment unused) is installed. Recently I bought a Seagate Barracuda (2TB).

Sometime later (I don't remember exactly when) I booted the PC without the 1TB drive plugged in (only the SSD was plugged in) and it showed me a "Errore lettura da Disco" ("Disk read Error" or something like that). It turned out that the solution was to boot it from the 1TB HDD. Afterwards I set the boot-priority of the HDD in order to boot automatically from the HDD. That worked fine, the "OS-selection-menu" persisted.

Recently (last week) I had to fix my phone and had to put a file on the micro-sd-card. On the new pc I didn't have one so I had to start the old one. Since it was late and I didn't wanted to demount the HDD I plugged the SATA cable from the old one into the 1TB HDD and since the HDD needed Power, I started the new pc and went into the bios (The HDD stayed in the new PC and was powered by that; the old PC was plugged into this drive in order to boot). I booted it up and moved that file on the micro-sd. The next day I plugged the drive into the new PC and tried to boot it up: "Errore lettura da disco". I tried to change the boot priority, same message. But if I go into the boot-menu and select the 1TB drive, windows starts regularly.

I can tell that it's surely not booting from that SATA II drive, because Windows starts within 15 seconds (I know the difference between ssd or hdd when booting the same os on the same system, because I worked nearly a year with the old pc, where I was able to do that)

However my problem now is that I have to put this HDD back into the old PC and I wanted to know if there is any possibility to fix this, without reinstalling win7 on my new PC.

If anything from the text above isn't clear, I'll try to explain it as accurate and comprehensible as possible ;)

attachicon.gifDrives expanded.PNGattachicon.gifComputer.PNG

I'm looking forwards for some replies :)

Are you sure you have the ssd in the right sata port. I.e. having the first port in the HDD when it should be in the ssd (this sets the boot pritority) 

Cpu: i7 4790k @ 4ghz, Motherboard: z97 asus deluxe, Memory: 8gb Kingston hyperx blue, Graphics card: Evga gtx 750ti ftw, Storage: 1TB WD BLUE mass storage, Crucial 120gb ssd (boot drive win 8.1), PSUCorsair cx750w fully wired, Displays: ben Q  2 ms gtg  , Cpu coolerBe quiet! shadow-rock slim, Peripherals: Ducky shine 3, Corsair m65 gaming mouse, SoundHyper x cloud Headphones, OS: Windows 8.1

Are you sure you have the ssd in the right sata port. I.e. having the first port in the HDD when it should be in the ssd (this sets the boot pritority)

Changing ports does not change boot priority. Boot priority is set in the BIOS and remains the same even if you put all the drives in different SATA ports.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

There's something I forgot to say, but I'm not sure if it's important or not.

The link, where I downloaded the win7 ISO, was broken, but luckily I found the ISO on the drive. Since I downloaded first the 32-bit version and then the 64-bit version and I've found only one of those ISOs, I'm not sure if that one I used to repair Windows is the 64-bit one (I can't tell from the name because they had names like "X17-59215.iso").

I know that the 64-bit iso was bigger than the 32-bit, but since I have only one file that doesn't helps me at all. 

The ISO I put on the flash drive: 2,97 GB

Would that explain why the repair tool wasn't able to fix anything and why the repairbcd command didn't work?

I think it is the 32-bit version  :(

post-173266-0-50001600-1425322468_thumb.

I've found these in the windows-setup-usb-drive

Ok, I've fixed the problem now... I have downloaded the 64-bit version and used the repair tool... after that it worked... also with the HDD unplugged :D

Thank you all so much for your disposability and assistance :D