Water Cooling Questions...

Jdogbf

Hey guys, I am new to the whole water cooling thing and I want a bit of help and to learn. I Currently have a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 with a FX-8320 and I am upgrading at some point to two R9 290x(I wanted a Windforce for air cooling, but I know that will not work with most blocks). So I am wondering What would I need to get started, and what R9 290x would you suggest for this? I have a Fractle Design R4 and right now a H100. I am posting a picture of my PC and how it is set up for maybe a bit of help.

vWfpWS0.jpg

Here is what I know. I need water blocks compatible with the R9 290x's and my 8320. Need at least one radiator, pump, and res. Should get more then needed tubing so I can mess up a little bit, and the fittings. Other then this, I have no idea what is best, and what I should do.

My PC Spec:

CPU: Intel i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz, Motherboard: , Memory: 16gb , Storage: , Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB, Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC(x2), Case: Corsair C70 Green, Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G GOLD, Operating System: Windows 8.1, CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100, Optical Drive: LG Internal Super Multi Drive

Get the cheapest 290x with a water block. Get a 240mm ek KKT withwaterblocks and fittings and a 480 rad

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

The R4 isnt the best for watercooling. But for watercooling cpu + SLI 290x:

2x 240MM Radiators

2x EK 290x Blocks

1x CPU Block (XSPC Raystrom is great, but so is EKs)

14x EK Compression Fittings. 

D5 Pump.

D5 Pump Top.

Reservoir (EK has a few nice ones).

You are looking at about the same $$ you spent on your system just for the watercooling parts. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Instead of wasting money on water cooling, spend money on a real processor that is capable of pushing two R9 290Xs.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

VisionTek sells R9 290Xs with blocks pre-installed, which can save you some money and potentially a bit of hassle. Alternatively, you'll need to select a card with a reference board design: all of the boards listed as "visual" or "physical" supported by this block should qualify. EK also has blocks available for a couple non-reference R9 290X cards like the MSI Lightning.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6