Random 2 second pc stall followed by speaker buzz

Sketched360
Go to solution Solved by Sketched360,

Get rid of that PSU asap. I read up on it and it has problems delivering even 440W.

I would like to conclude this thread by saying my system is now running spectacular! [emoji1] There has been no stutters after installing the new psu and even under some heavy load it hasn't been giving problems. Thanks to everyone who gave the advice. I really appreciate it. Best community ever, LTT Forums[emoji16]

Hi guys, sorry if this problem was already seen to. I've looked down the lines of the threads in this section and as far as I went i didn't really see any problems  regarding the one i'm about to mention. If i made a blunder please let me know.

Specs for problem relation:

CPU : Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz

GPU : 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti WindForce OC Black Edition(Gigabyte)

Primary HDD : 232GB FUJITSU MJA2250BH G2 ATA Device (SATA)

Secondary HDD : 931GB SAMSUNG HD105SI ATA Device (SATA) Partitioned into 800Gb and 20Gb

Mobo : Intel Corporation DH67GD (LGA1155)

Memory : 4 x 2GB DDR3 Hyundai Electronics

PSU : Huntkey Green Power - 550W Power Supply Unit

To make it brief I already put the problem in the header. So I've been getting this problem ever since I installed my 750 ti but I'm skeptical about the problem being GPU related but more harddrive related. I very confused about this problem because it's very vague on what might be causing it. The pc stalling doesn't only occur when gaming but also when doing small tasks on the desktop. Listening to music, watching videos, etc. I did notice that when I'm either download something or when I'm moving things from hdd to hdd it stutters and buzzes more than usual. It might be my harddrives because the 1Tb is fairly old and has been through many re-installations of OS's and plus daily usage. The primary hdd was from a fairly old notebook which was put into my pc as a new host for my OS. I'm also having assumptions on the amount of power my psu is acually pushing out. In my system you can see that the psu is powering 2 hdd's, gfx card. Plus it powers 3 fans. I unplugged my optical drive to see if the problem was lack of power to my gfx card but to no avail. According to a power consumption calculator i was reaching 532W with optical drive and without it, 492W.

So yeah before actually replacing any parts I would like to get a better insight on the problem. I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Intel i7 4790 3.6GHzGigabyte GTX 970 4GB WF3  | Thermaltake Chaser A31 | Z97 Guard Pro

Gaming | Anime | Programming 

Get rid of that PSU asap. I read up on it and it has problems delivering even 440W.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

If the psu weren't able to deliver the power, wouldn't my pc not boot at all? Or do you mean it is problematic when delivering high power consumption

Intel i7 4790 3.6GHzGigabyte GTX 970 4GB WF3  | Thermaltake Chaser A31 | Z97 Guard Pro

If the psu weren't able to deliver the power, wouldn't my pc not boot at all? Or do you mean it is problematic when delivering high power consumption

Yep, problems with delivering power. It’s not like you can’t boot PSUs can make plethora of problems, like you boot and all is fine and as soon as you start gaming or doing anything intesive it can crash stuff like that.  

I would start by getting better quality one, because if PSU dies it can take a lot of parts with it (never skimp on PSU!) From what I read on Huntkey their PSUs have a very questionable quality.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Yep, problems with delivering power. It’s not like you can’t boot PSUs can make plethora of problems, like you boot and all is fine and as soon as you start gaming or doing anything intesive it can crash stuff like that.  

I would start by getting better quality one, because if PSU dies it can take a lot of parts with it (never skimp on PSU!) From what I read on Huntkey their PSUs have a very questionable quality.

Hmm seems legit. Reason I bought this is I was on a budget and i had to replace an already faulty PSU(Actualy the PSU almost caught on fire..). I now buying a bad quality PSU can mess around with the components you connect it to. I'm saving up for a Corsair Builder Series CSM750 750W Modular Power Supply and hopefully I'll be able to replace this old one. It is still strange though. How does the psu explain the hectic stalling when I'm downloading and moving stuff specifically? I'm still a bit confused.

Hmm seems legit. Reason I bought this is I was on a budget and i had to replace an already faulty PSU(Actualy the PSU almost caught on fire..). I now buying a bad quality PSU can mess around with the components you connect it to. I'm saving up for a Corsair Builder Series CSM750 750W Modular Power Supply and hopefully I'll be able to replace this old one. It is still strange though. How does the psu explain the hectic stalling when I'm downloading and moving stuff specifically? I'm still a bit confused.

You don't really need a 750W PSU unless you plan to upgrade. Thing is these cheap PSUs have usually bad efficiency of delivering power a that could very well be your problem. Second, cheap PSUs also usually doesn't provide clean stable power it can jump up and down when delivering the power and you don't want that.

As for the drives download and run Crystal Disk Info. It is a handy dandy program that check S.M.A.R.T. info about your drives and also shows health status of the drives. Post the results here and I try to help you  :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

If it isn't this, the vram in your GPU is dying, I'm having the same problem with my R9 290X at this point in time, whenever I get into a demanding game, the card crashes the PC and does the 'buzz' sound through headphones/speakers

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

------DUPEPOST-------

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

If it isn't this, the vram in your GPU is dying, I'm having the same problem with my R9 290X at this point in time, whenever I get into a demanding game, the card crashes the PC and does the 'buzz' sound through headphones/speakers

Well my video card was brand spanking new just a month a ago and well it has been having this problem from the get go so doubt it's dying or maybe the manufacturer sent me a bad one. Oh and I checked, my Hdd's are still in good condition. I have some speculations on my graphics card but I want to figure out this problem so that I know I don't replace the card for naught. But then again, even if I play most demanding games it doesn't stutter as much. So for now I have to check if it is really the power supply. It's fairly cheaper to replace than a video card so I'll have to test that method first.

Well my video card was brand spanking new just a month a ago and well it has been having this problem from the get go so doubt it's dying or maybe the manufacturer sent me a bad one. Oh and I checked, my Hdd's are still in good condition. I have some speculations on my graphics card but I want to figure out this problem so that I know I don't replace the card for naught. But then again, even if I play most demanding games it doesn't stutter as much. So for now I have to check if it is really the power supply. It's fairly cheaper to replace than a video card so I'll have to test that method first.

If you've been having it since the start, you did probably get a bad card, I did with my 290X and tried to find ways to stop it from happening, downclocking the card to stop it from hitting higher VRAM usages helps a bit, but eventually it gets there

Okay :) But whatever you do, don't run any stress tests or stuff like that on this PSU.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I'm curious but is it possible that components being powered by a faulty or bad psu get effected performance wise? Like the components not getting enough power or something

I'm curious but is it possible that components being powered by a faulty or bad psu get effected performance wise? Like the components not getting enough power or something

I would think so. Even if the GPU was fautly that shouldn't affect your HDDs 

And from what I read about Huntkey, they can't provide wattages they claim and loose efficiency under load.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I would think so. Even if the GPU was fautly that shouldn't affect your HDDs

And from what I read about Huntkey, they can't provide wattages they claim and loose efficiency under load.

Okay now I'm narrowed down to either psu or gpu. Another possible problem might be my mobo but that's probably highly unlikely. It could be that the psu isn't providing the gpu with enough power or well the gpu itself. You see before my 750 I had a gt520 which didn't require power from the psu. I didn't get these screen stutters before the 750 installation. So again either or. It's just all so frustrating :(

Okay now I'm narrowed down to either psu or gpu. Another possible problem might be my mobo but that's probably highly unlikely. It could be that the psu isn't providing the gpu with enough power or well the gpu itself. You see before my 750 I had a gt520 which didn't require power from the psu. I didn't get these screen stutters before the 750 installation. So again either or. It's just all so frustrating :(

Yeah I know it's frustrating. But we gonna hopefully work it out :)

I strongly suspect the PSU, you say that before the 750ti installation you didn't have stutters. That is probably because the GT520 has a way lower TDP (Power Consumption basically) Than the 750ti. So with the GT520 you didn't pull that much wattage and the PSU was working ok, but with the 750ti you need more power and the PSU fail to deliver it. I know it is rated at 550W and that should be enough, but as I said, I read on Huntkey and they basically lie about this because the PSU simply can't provide the power. I think that If you had a 550W PSU from a reputable brand (EVGA, Corsair etc.), you would not have these problems.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Yeah I know it's frustrating. But we gonna hopefully work it out :)

I strongly suspect the PSU, you say that before the 750ti installation you didn't have stutters. That is probably because the GT520 has a way lower TDP (Power Consumption basically) Than the 750ti. So with the GT520 you didn't pull that much wattage and the PSU was working ok, but with the 750ti you need more power and the PSU fail to deliver it. I know it is rated at 550W and that should be enough, but as I said, I read on Huntkey and they basically lie about this because the PSU simply can't provide the power. I think that If you had a 550W PSU from a reputable brand (EVGA, Corsair etc.), you would not have these problems.

Okay now that I've come down to this i need help with picking out a psu. I had my eyes on a Corsair CX Series CXM600 600W High Performance Modular Power Supply but i heard that seasonic makes really good ones and I found one for a very nifty price. It's the Seasonic M12II 620Watt 80Plus Bronze Gaming Power Supply. Can you suggest which one should be my option? I'm thinking of ordering it real soon :)

Okay now that I've come down to this i need help with picking out a psu. I had my eyes on a Corsair CX Series CXM600 600W High Performance Modular Power Supply but i heard that seasonic makes really good ones and I found one for a very nifty price. It's the Seasonic M12II 620Watt 80Plus Bronze Gaming Power Supply. Can you suggest which one should be my option? I'm thinking of ordering it real soon :)

I don't really have experience with Seasonic, but that doesn't mean they are bad. I however did a build for a friend with a Corsair CX500M and after about almost a year no problems so far :)

You could put this question in the http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/21-cases-and-power-supplies/ and get help there :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I don't really have experience with Seasonic, but that doesn't mean they are bad. I however did a build for a friend with a Corsair CX500M and after about almost a year no problems so far :)

You could put this question in the http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/21-cases-and-power-supplies/ and get help there :)

Okay so i ordered the seasonic psu and will keep this thread updated when it arrives :)

Okay so the psu arrived today and i plugged it in. Time for some testing! Will give some updates by the weekend. For now though i had no hickups or jitters.

Okay so the psu arrived today and i plugged it in. Time for some testing! Will give some updates by the weekend. For now though i had no hickups or jitters.

That's a good sign :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I would like to conclude this thread by saying my system is now running spectacular! [emoji1] There has been no stutters after installing the new psu and even under some heavy load it hasn't been giving problems. Thanks to everyone who gave the advice. I really appreciate it. Best community ever, LTT Forums[emoji16]

I am glad it worked out for you :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler