Not Getting Full Speed Out of Wireless

MainStageNews
Go to solution Solved by MainStageNews,

Final update, I feel really dumb now. It was the drivers from the previous NIC's that was causing the issues. Now I get the full speed out of the 5Ghz band.

I recently purchased a new AC router to replace the piece of junk for Comcast. I got the Asus RT-AC68U and to take advantage of the 5Ghz bandwidth i coupled it with the Asus USB-AC56. I understand that wired is always better than wireless but what I don't understand is I did get the full 50 down and 10 up with the crappy Comcast router modem combo. All of the settings are the default except the SSID and the password. I even, even exchanged the router thinking the first one I got was defective in some way. Maybe this is user error (probably is) but I don't understand why i'm getting slower speeds on speed test with a better router and NIC than I did with the original one from Comcast. I now only get about 3 down and 9 up again I should be getting 50 down and 10 up. Please help! :(

distance and obstruction can be a huge influence. how far away are you from the router?

also what is your network configuration? are you going from the provided router to your own, or did you get a discrete modem? I run a seperate modem with my router on my comcast service.

distance and obstruction can be a huge influence. how far away are you from the router?

also what is your network configuration? are you going from the provided router to your own, or did you get a discrete modem? I run a seperate modem with my router on my comcast service.

I am probably 10-15 feet away from the router (if that) there is a wall slighly in the way but just one wall and I had the Comcast router in the exact same spot as I do now.

I have a (again new) netgear router that I purchased when I got the router. The security type I am using is WPA2-Personal. AES encryption

Also another piece of information is that I would consider the modem being a possible problem but I get full speed when I am using a wired connection so it has to be an issue with the router. Thanks for the quick response btw!

I am probably 10-15 feet away from the router (if that) there is a wall slighly in the way but just one wall and I had the Comcast router in the exact same spot as I do now.

I have a (again new) netgear router that I purchased when I got the router. The security type I am using is WPA2-Personal. AES encryption

Also another piece of information is that I would consider the modem being a possible problem but I get full speed when I am using a wired connection so it has to be an issue with the router. Thanks for the quick response btw!

try testing with several wireless devices.

also put a seperate SSID for your 2.4GHz and 5ghz bands and connect to the 5ghz SSID on your computer to ensure you are on 5ghz

try testing with several wireless devices.

also put a seperate SSID for your 2.4GHz and 5ghz bands and connect to the 5ghz SSID on your computer to ensure you are on 5ghz

I have them as separate SSID's. When I connect to the 2.4Ghz band I get the full speed i'm supposed to. When I connect the 5Ghz I get 1/10th of what i'm supposed to. I tested the 2.4 on my laptop with the same result but I cannot test 5Ghz on it.

I have them as separate SSID's. When I connect to the 2.4Ghz band I get the full speed i'm supposed to. When I connect the 5Ghz I get 1/10th of what i'm supposed to. I tested the 2.4 on my laptop with the same result but I cannot test 5Ghz on it.

I actually had a similar issue on my RT-N66u where the 5ghz band was significantly slower for download. I couldn't explain why it was and none of the settings I found fixed it, but after updating to the most recent firmware to no avail, I finally gave up and reset the configuration  and now I get my full 130mbps down over 5ghz

under "advanced settings" select the "administration" section and click on the "Restore/Save/Upload setting" then restore to factory default.

edit:

I would also recommend updating the firmware first

let me know if that helps.

under "advanced settings" select the "administration" section and click on the "Restore/Save/Upload setting" then restore to factory default.

edit:

I would also recommend updating the firmware first

let me know if that helps.

I'm gonna try the reset maybe it will help but I doubt it just given the fact that this is the second router and I am having the exact same issue. I've even tried more than one NIC from 2 USB based and one PCIe based. Lastly I did update the firmaware as soon as I got it this time and I believe I did last time too. I'm gonna try the reset hopefully for some mysterious reason it works but i'll keep you posted man, thanks.

What Wireless NIC are you using?

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

What Wireless NIC are you using?

The NIC i'm using now is the Asus USB-AC56 and i'm only 10-15 feet away from my router if that. Also I just did the reset with no luck

Edit: I've even moved the router so it has a direct sight line to my NIC with the same result.

I'm just gonna wipe my computer and see if it's just a software related issue on my desktop because honestly that is the last think that could have issues

Final update, I feel really dumb now. It was the drivers from the previous NIC's that was causing the issues. Now I get the full speed out of the 5Ghz band.

You beat me to it. I was about to suggest you check your drivers.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram