Need file renaming software

Go to solution Solved by kingdorian,

Os?

Assuming you're on windows (Its easy to find on osx and linux users wouldn't ask a question like this :P)you could just select all the files you want to edit,right click edit, type in the name, press enter and it automagically renames all the selected files to the name you entered followed by " (n)" where n is the number of the file.
Batch_rename3.png

Batch_rename4.png

(I'm sorry for my windows being Dutch)

This works on win 7 so I'm sure it works on win 8.x to.

edit: added description, pictures. 

Ofcourse you could also write your own simple program in java (5 lines or so). Get all files in the directory and iterate over them.

@lubblig

Hi!

I have a bunch of picture files from different cameras and albums etc that I would like to, in a simple way, be able to load into a program and then rename all of the files with a suffix of like 1, 2, 3, 4 or something similar to it.

So if I have files:

IMG_123.jpg

PIC_23542.jpg

IMGPIC_123412.jpg

Then I would like them to be able to be renamed to(with the program, I would like to avoid doing it manually):

Holiday_1.jpg

Holiday_2.jpg

Holiday_3.jpg

And so on.

Do you know of any software that does this? Preferably for free.

EDIT: I'm running Windows 8.1 x64 bit

Thanks!

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

Os?

Assuming you're on windows (Its easy to find on osx and linux users wouldn't ask a question like this :P)you could just select all the files you want to edit,right click edit, type in the name, press enter and it automagically renames all the selected files to the name you entered followed by " (n)" where n is the number of the file.
Batch_rename3.png

Batch_rename4.png

Ofcourse you could also write your own simple program in java (5 lines or so). Get all files in the directory and iterate over them.

@lubblig

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Os?

Windows 8.1

Sorry, didn't think about that..

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

Os?

Batch_rename3.png

Batch_rename4.png

Ofcourse you could also write your own simple program in java (5 lines or so).

NICE!

I had no idea! :P

This could have saved me SOO much time if I would have known this before. But thanks! :)

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

I'd like to add another 3rd party software called Bulk Renaming Utility here. Its really nice with multiple options. And best of all, its portable. So no installer needed, only unzip to folder.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv