Fluctuating/Lack of image while using DVI port

Piime

As of wednesday I have been having trouble displaying my computer on my monitor.

1. Connecting integrated graphics to the monitor with VGA works flawlessly.

2. Connecting the graphics card to a TV with HDMI works flawlessly.

3. Connecting integrated graphics to the monitor with DVI does not display an image at all. The monitor does not detect a signal, enters standby mode and turns off the backlight.

4. Connecting the graphics card to the monitor with DVI displays an image up to the windows log in screen. BIOS is displayed without problem and so is Windows' startup repair.

4.1 After booting into safe mode, doing absolutely nothing and then booting back into normal windows the DVI connection between the graphics card and the monitor did work. However after less than an hour the monitor went black accompanied by the sound effect for a device being removed from the system. Shortly after the monitor displayed an image again this time being accompanied by the sound effect of a device being plugged in.

Personally I do not have a clue as to what is causing my problem, but my suspicion is that there is something wrong with the DVI port on my monitor. I have already been looking into buying a new monitor but if the problem is related to my main hardware I want to solve that first. Integrated graphics works with VGA but not at all with DVI while the graphics card works with HDMI and only semi-works with DVI. 

Specs:

CPU: Intel i5-4670k

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45

Graphics: XFX R9 290 (clean install of latest omega drivers)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 1600mhz

PSU: Corsair RM850

Monitor: Dell 2005FPW (DVI and VGA ports)

Windows 8.1 64-bit